China Trade, Guns, and MY $$$

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Henceforth, if it's made in China, I ain't buyin' it. End of story.

I don't care if they give away a lifetime supply of ammo for every gun; a lifetime supply of buttons for every shirt: Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

Those who agree with me can write editors, congressfolks, and all that. Send a real message.

That way, our government doesn't have to do squatly, one way or the other--except smile. No WTO treaty or the UN or whomever/whatever can make me--or you--buy what's not wanted.

:D, Art

"Those who won't learn history won't enjoy repeating it."

twin Sigs

there's no way in the world that you will not use anything Chinese again. That is a fact. The ironic thing is that the computer and monitor you are using right now probably has something made in China. Also, do you know where gun powder originated. CHINA. Without their contribution, we wouldn't even have this forum. No guns, no forum. If you have children, or buy toys for children, guess what? Most of them are made in China. Imagine, no more toys. No more Chinese food. The list goes on and on. I bet if anybody tried hard enough, they could probably live without anything Chinese again. They are called hermits.

Jamie Young

It makes me sick but I've said that a thousand times already. I am looking for a scope right now and I can't find one thats not made in china. I don't know who makes Leupold? I'm checking out some German scope but all this China stuff is helping me fight my temptation to buy MADE IN CHINA. I think I'm not going to pass on Made In Tawain stuff anymore though.

The Plainsman

Soda Pop...

There was a day when the folks in Taiwan wouldn't buy anything made in China (the PRC) either. Maybe some of them still won't. ;)

Ironbarr

Seems like...

we said the same thing about "Made in Japan" which changed to "Made in USA" (Usa, Japan). Now we 'pute and drive Japanese, among other things.

I'd like to deny "Made in China" stuff too, but I know that I couldn't keep "The Boss" (and my easily coercible self), and others from Dollar Tree, Michael's, and other stores.

Bur, when I'm alone - Ha Ha, I'll do MY thing. Won't be a big impact, though.

I just wonder how many of those $$$ we spend actually reach the worker bees.

I also wonder just what those worker bees think of us as a people considering the work they do to create the junk they make for us. I'd like to be a (chinese speaking) fly on the wall in one of those "manufacturing plants". Should be interesting.
molonlabe1small.JPG

USGuns

Yeah, the best way to hurt Chinese trade and boycott Chinese products would be at the retailer level.
Your average person in a store doesn't normally check to see where something is made anymore. If they like it, they buy it.

BUT, if Wal-Mart, KMart, Home Depot, Target, etc. made a conscious effort to find alternative sources to Chinese products, THEN that would start to make a difference.

Maybe we should encourage more of these products currently being made in China to be made in Mexico and Central America instead, raising the standard of living there and reducing the desire to illegally immigrate the the US?

Ironbarr

Hey - good idea. Mexico will probably be a state someday anyway... might as well pump them up a bit.

Now, if we can only get them to use safer trucks, etc.

dZ

i needed a hose spray nozzel today
I went to home depot and i had 2 choices
5 from China
5 from Taiwan

i bought Taiwan

P

PreserveFreedom

America must be protected with Tariffs. Our trade deficit is completely nuts.
DEFINATELY NOT! What do you think would happen to our gun and ammo prices?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
IronBalls, your homework assignment is to read up on the Smoot-Hawley tariffs of the 1920s, and the effect on the world economy. Hint: "1929". :)

I figure if folks make at least a reasonable effort to not buy a gun, or ammo, or scope made in China, and comment to the sales clerk, it'll help. Scopes are made here, Japan, Philippines, Germany...

Lotsa clothing comes out of India, Bangladesh, Taiwan, and it's no more expensive than the product of China's slave labor.

I'm not suggesting you go to partial-disassembly to see if Chinese components are used. :)

You can always email WallyWorld, etc., to tell them of your opinion, and mention that you're using the Internet to "spread the word". That could affect their own buying. There's the good old Letters to the Editor, as well.

Regardless, it beats doing nothing but bitching at the boys over beers at the corner bar. I just don't intend to take part in The Great American Pastime: Whining.

Art

Phil

Having been raised in a UAW family in Detroit I have always strived to buy "Made in the USA" and yes I like Union Made (please don't go off topic and argue this with me, it'll bore/frustrate both of us). I have especially tried to avoid "Made in China" due to their politics and the poor quality of most of their products. Unfortunately its virtually impossible to avoid "Made in China". Have any of you tried to buy a bench grinder lately? Just an average, light duty one for home use? Unless you spend 5 times as much and go industrial, there are no bench grinders made anywhere else. I seem to recall seeing one made in Taiwan, but when I got ready to buy, they were ALL MADE IN CHINA. Nothing I could od about it. Its almost impossible to have a computer that doesn't have at least one major component made in China. I have an HP and I thinks its all made in China. How about shoes? Most all the American shoe manufacturers are gone.

I avoid Chinese products whenever possible, but am not going to fool myself that I won't be buying any Chinese merchandise in the future.

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Not all of us buy foreign

We all drive foreign cars? I don't think so. Not only have I never owned a foreign car but I have never set foot in a foreign car dealership. I have done it for forty seven years so I think I can make it the rest of the way. There might be some absolute necessities that only China provides now but I think I can get by without safety pins if it comes to it:)

Oh, and I was raised in a non-union family and would not join a union. Takes all kinds.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
You bet I buy foreign cars! Have all my life.
Why? They are the best.
US has made crap for years.
Germany: VW Audi BMW MERC PORCHE
Japan: Honda Mitsu Toyota

I love them.

My little Toyota eats Mustangs, Camaros, and other so called HOT cars for breakfast. You see, my little Supra MKIII has 350 horses (that will soon be pushed to 420) that are all very well controlled and behaved... I've even beat Vettes.

[Edited by George Hill on 04-13-2001 at 02:53 PM]

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
George, it might be the driver rather than the car:) My 95 Mustang GT will do at least the 150MPH on the speedometer. But it doesn't matter how many horses I put under that hood, I'm never gonna go faster than the 140MPH I got it up to...once.

Oh, yeah, it's got 165,000 HARD miles on it and is running like a champ with no major engine repairs to date. I replaced the entire cooling system at 135,000 miles after the radiator ruptured but that was just personal repair philosophy in a car with that many miles.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I sorta doubt any car from any country is made wholly of parts from just that country.

For American cars, some of the smaller V-6s come from SE Asia. Ford wiring harnesses come from Brazil; the insulation is a soy-bean-based plastic, which is why mice eat them. Lotsa cast alloy stuff for all manner of cars/countries comes from India--to Japan, Europe, Korea. A lot of hotrod alloy wheels come from India. And so it goes.

Mercedes, Porsche, etc., are good cars, but highly over-rated for the money. Like a Chevy engineer commented years ago, "Any fool can design a water pump for a Rolls Royce; it takes a pretty sharp cookie to design a water pump that will sell for $13, exchange, at a parts counter." (1963 dollars.)

But a little self-educating will let you find out which "stuff" has the least amount of PRC stuff in it. And like I say, there are labels...

If you're able to post on TFL, I hope you can deal with three words on a label. :)

As usual,

Art

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
And the Dodge Viper is 70K - and do you have one?

Didnt think so... Supra MKIIIs run under 10K right now... MKIV for 15.

Could a MKIV beat a Viper?

Yes - there are video clips that prove it. NEXT!