Chillicothe, Ohio. Suspect In Officer's Death Escapes From Jail

beenthere

Presumption

Presumption of innocence has its problems, but presumption of guilt has even worse potential.

On many cases a middle ground would be advisable perhaps related to the strength of evidence or offense at the time of apprehension. Even that leaves plenty of room for abuse due to legal manuvering or judicial activism.

Darned if I know the answer.

garryc

First of all, the fact that he is accused of killing a cop is irrelivant. The fact that he is accused of murder is. Weather or not the person he is accused of killing is LE or not is not a factor in my book, their lives are no more valuble than any other citizen.

The fact that he is an escaped prisoner is also a major factor. He needs to be recoverd. If that recovery results in a body bag because he refused to surrender, or fled, then so be it. If he is convicted, and I'm sure he will be, execute the slime post haste. Of course that brings up a frustrating situation, 12 to 14 years before execution. I think it should be a 6 month review and then to the gallows. And I do mean Gallows, back to the rope. No need to give him dignity by doing what for all purposes appears to be a medical proceedure. That is not a matter that needs resolved at the end of a cops gun. If he surrenders and is then killed by a cop, that cop is no better than the murderer he is in custody of. Fact of the matter is, if a cop would do such a thing he needs to surrender his badge. If he actually does it he needs a trip to the gallows. What we really don't need in this country is SS style street executions.

Dwight55

As a minister, yes, Garryc, . . . I agree with you that one life is no more important than another, . . . be it a LEO, . . . prostitute, . . . infant, . . . or school teacher.

I would only caution that one should look at those who kill in different lights. Some women feel absolutely no compunction about abortion after the first week, . . . or within hours of the time the child would be born, . . . yet they would never pick up a gun with the thought of killing someone for money.

Some prostitutes will pass around AIDS and other social diseases with impunity, . . . yet never lift a hand to knife, shoot, or bludgeon someone to death.

Most murderers I am told, . . . (most meaning a simple majority), . . . killed once, . . . and in all liklihood, . . . will/would never do it again, . . . simply because the events that led up to their murder will never be repeated.

BUT, . . . a select few will not only kill for money or kill for hire, . . . but will even go beyond that and kill for any conceiveable reason, . . . and will not let the LEO uniform, . . . clergy attire, . . . a teenager's prom dress, . . . or anything else slow their murderous desire.

These are the folks we need to be in condition orange/yellow about at any given time, . . . and give them more "attention" so to speak.

Personally, . . . right now I am very seriously looking at each and every 20 something male with a crew cut and athletic build, . . . on the outside chance I might meet up with this Parsons character. If I do, . . . my reaction to a "cop killer" will be far different from my neighbor lady who elected to have an abortion, . . . the prostitute on the corner with Aids, . . . etc, . . . though technically they are just all those who have taken a life (or were accused of it).

I don't CCW for people who in a fit of passion may do in their spouse, . . . or may do in the mother in law for the insurance, . . . but I sure as rain is wet do CCW for the likes of this Parsons guy. He has shown his disdain for human life by taking a LEO life with apparent impunity, . . . he sure wouldn't think twice about doing me for my billfold, Chevy, or my 1911.

May God bless,
Dwight

garryc

I would only caution that one should look at those who kill in different lights. Some women feel absolutely no compunction about abortion after the first week, . . . or within hours of the time the child would be born, . . . yet they would never pick up a gun with the thought of killing someone for money.

These people are taught that an unborn fetus is not really a person. A case of law making morality. Legally a fetus is not a person, even though you and I agree that it is.

Some prostitutes will pass around AIDS and other social diseases with impunity, . . . yet never lift a hand to knife, shoot, or bludgeon someone to death.

That is a differant act than shedding anothers blood, same end effect but differant.

BUT, . . . a select few will not only kill for money or kill for hire, . . . but will even go beyond that and kill for any conceiveable reason, . . . and will not let the LEO uniform, . . . clergy attire, . . . a teenager's prom dress, . . . or anything else slow their murderous desire.

And these people, once convicted in a court of law, should be promptly executed.

These are the folks we need to be in condition orange/yellow about at any given time, . . . and give them more "attention" so to speak.

My point is, reguardless of all other factors, these people have taken anothers life. They should forfit thier own as just punishment. Since death is the punishment for all 1st degree murders it becomes irrelivent who the murdered person is or what the motivation of the murderer was. Hate crime, sexual pervert who kills his victim, drug dealer on drug dealer, cop killer, it does not matter. Death is the penalty for first degree murder. Saying that one first degree murder is worse than another is like multiplying infinity.

Most murderers I am told, . . . (most meaning a simple majority), . . . killed once, . . . and in all liklihood, . . . will/would never do it again, . . . simply because the events that led up to their murder will never be repeated.

It matters not one bit ie it is one murder or a hundred, or if they likely would never do it again, execution for first degree murder conviction should be automatic. Just punishment for that crime.

I don't CCW for people who in a fit of passion may do in their spouse

By definition, not first degree.

or may do in the mother in law for the insurance

first degree, execute

but I sure as rain is wet do CCW for the likes of this Parsons guy. He has shown his disdain for human life by taking a LEO life with apparent impunity, . . . he sure wouldn't think twice about doing me for my billfold, Chevy, or my 1911.

When he is in the commision of the crime you would be justified in shooting him in self defence.

garryc

So the killing of another person is wrong, unless it is sanctioned by the state? Just trying to clarify.

Yes, Your rights as an individual are differant than those of the state. The state has the power to enact and enforce laws and set punishments. In the U.S. the state is suppose to reflect the will of the people unless that will conflicts with the constitution. We are not a democracy, we are a constitutional republic.

FirstFreedom

Guilty is the main term we are talking about, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, a mistake in our system, I might add.

Brought to you by Harley Quinn, everyone might note, for future reference. You're entitled to your opinion - I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is certainly out of whack with the majority opinion, and that of the founding fathers. At least you're honest - I appreciate that. :) :p

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Update! Parsons caught!

Article here

Residents take to streets to cheer officers who recaptured Ohio cop killer

By RICK ARMON
Associated Press Writer

CHILLICOTHE, Ohio- Cheering residents took to the streets Thursday as police returned an inmate who escaped from jail almost three months ago while held on charges of killing a police officer.

A tip led police to John W. Parsons, who was found sleeping in a storage shack where he apparently had been living for a while. Parsons, in good health, was arrested without incident.

The shack, in a wooded area near a lumberyard, was less than two miles from the downtown county jail he escaped from July 29.

Steve Thornton, co-owner of Eastern Avenue Lumber, said he called police Thursday after checking on the shack and seeing freshly opened cans of food. Thornton said his brother had heard about the shack the day before from a hunter.

Police, without giving details, said it was clear Parsons had a lot of help over the past few weeks. Ross County Sheriff Ron Nichols said the investigation continues into those links.

"He had to stay around with people that was going to help him," Nichols said.

Nichols said Parsons had made himself comfortable in the shack and appeared ready to stay for some time.

A caravan of police officers from several departments brought Parsons back Thursday afternoon to the Ross County jail as people poured out of businesses cheering, applauding and waving.

Parsons was taken later to the Correctional Reception Center in Orient, about 20 miles south of Columbus.

He is charged with killing Chillicothe officer Larry Cox, 44, in April 2005.

Off-duty and unarmed, Cox had joined a police chase of a bank robbery suspect in his leafy neighborhood when he was shot in the neck. He died a few houses away from the home of his parents, whom he had just visited.

Parsons, 35, had fled from a rooftop recreation area by crawling through two rolls of razor-sharp concertina wire, shimmying up a chain link fence and slipping through a gap between the top of the fence and the roof.

A report on the escape determined that no guards were watching the recreation area when Parson slipped away in the middle of the day.

Last month, Parsons was added to the FBI's Most Wanted Fugitives list, and $125,000 in reward money had been offered for information leading to his capture.

Cox's mother was elated by news of Parsons' capture. "I'm just praising God," Joy Cox said.

Parsons' attorney David Stebbins said he knew only the publicly reported details of Parsons' capture. He said a judge still has to set a new date and location for Parsons' trial.

Stebbins had no information on possible charges related to the escape and said he planned to meet with Parsons soon.

Documents filed with search warrants issued after Parsons' escape say he called his mother from jail and told her to prepare for his arrival. She was indicted last month on two counts of obstruction of justice related to his disappearance and pleaded not guilty.