Chillicothe, Ohio. Suspect In Officer's Death Escapes From Jail

Blackwater OPS

I am posting this partly as a BOLO because there is a cop killer on the loose, but there is a training aspect to this as well. If you see a pursuit in progress and you are off duty or CCW should you get involved?

I have lived/worked in big cities all my life and the answer for me is an easy NO, but I realize in rural areas it's a bit different.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/9596856/detail.html

7/29/06
CHILLICOTHE, Ohio -- A Frankfort man who was being held in connection with a Chillicothe police officer's death escaped from the Ross County Jail on Saturday.

Police said John W. Parsons, of Frankfort, killed Officer Larry Cox on April 21, 2005. Cox, 44, was shot in the neck during a police pursuit of a man who was suspected of robbing a gas station and stealing a car.

Parsons, 35, was later indicted on four counts of aggravated murder, one count each of aggravated robbery, tampering with evidence and having a weapon while under disability and two counts of grand theft.

Details about Saturday's escape were not immediately available, NBC 4 reported.

Parsons spent three and a half years in prison for aggravated robbery and breaking and entering. He was released in 2001, NBC 4 reported.

Cox was walking home from his parents' house when he got involved in the pursuit, police said. He was off duty and was not in uniform.

Police said Cox observed the suspect fleeing and officers pursuing the man. Cox joined the pursuit and eventually confronted the suspect in an alley between Chestnut and High Streets in Chillicothe. During the confrontation, Cox was shot and killed.

Cox had served with the Chillicothe Police Department for 19 years, and served as one of the city's DARE officers at the time of his murder.

garryc

JOHN W PARSONS

A371902.jpg

DOB: 02/11/1971
Race: White
Admission Date: 02/11/1999
Institution: Ross Correctional Institution
Zip Code: 45628
Residential County: ROSS

Former case details:

AGG ROBBERY Counts: 1 ORC: 2911.01 4
Committing County: ROSS Sentence Date: 02/11/1999 Degree of Felony: First
** Victim Info Unavailable**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B & E Counts: 2 ORC: 2911.13 4
Committing County: ROSS Sentence Date: 02/11/1999 Degree of Felony: Fifth
** Victim Info Unavailable**

Sentence Information
Stated Prison Term: 3 years and 6 months Actual Release Date: 08/14/2001
Definite Sentence: ----
Indefinite Sentence Min: ---- FOA/TRC Date: 08/14/2001
Indefinite Sentence Max: ---- POA Date:
Mandatory Sentence: ----
MDO: ---- Supervision Start Date: 01/23/2002
RVO: ---- Period of Supervision: 5 years
Gun Specification: ---- APA Office: ROSS 1
Expiration Stated Sent: 11/20/2005 Conditions of Supervision

Latest Parole Board Hearing Month: June 2001
Latest Parole Board Hearing Type/Results: REHEAR HRG/T.C. RECOMMENDED

Dwight55

From the local news channel covering this story, . . . apparently several local folks have already become involved. They spotted him riding along a back road on a bicycle he had stolen, . . . apparently on the way to some relatives several more miles away.

They gave chase on their atv's but somehow he ditched the bike and got into a wooded area where the atv's couldn't follow.

At that point, they called it in to the LEO's who at last newscast, . . . had over 100 officers, several dogs, a chopper and a plane working the area.

He faces a needle in the arm if he comes back, . . . so I wouldn't really look for and early surrender, . . . but who knows?

I'm 100 miles or so from the area, . . . but yeah, . . . doors are all locked anyway.

May God bless,
Dwight

JN01

I read several newspaper reports on the escape who quoted some of the area locals. Seems the officer who was murdered was widely loved and respected, and upon hearing of the escape, locals set up a sort of neighborhood watch to try to catch the scumbag. Several of the locals were quoted as saying that the escapee was "a dead man".

Harley Quinn

Gee and such and nice looking young man

Well it goes to show, you can't tell the book by its cover.

He must be a nut case. Was that a picture after he did the deed? He is pretty dangerous, should be snuffed. No playing around with this one.:rolleyes:

HQ:p

D-Bak

I actually know this guy and his brother..... his brother was just convicted for murder and sentenced to life in prison....

This is the same guy I had to pull off of my sister so he didnt beat her to death...

The whole family is crazy and should be in jail for the rest of their lives...

Lets hope they catch this guy.... cause i know i am on his **** list...

azurefly

If you see a pursuit in progress and you are off duty or CCW should you get involved?

I have seen people say it so many times here -- "A CCW license is not a law-enforcement badge nor a call to duty as a law-enforcement officer!" -- that I would stay clear of the pursuit if only for fear of being yelled at here! :p

No, really, I don't have a police radio, nor markings on my car, nor a badge on my shirt, that identifies me to LEO as an LEO, or even as a concerned do-gooder citizen with a gun of his own. How could I be of any help in that situation? I'd be more likely to get myself killed and/or foul up the pursuit by the actual LEOs.

For what it's worth, I'd really like to know whose screwup allowed his escape from prison in the first place.
Every single time something like this happens, it infuriates me that some people oppose the death penalty. PEOPLE ESCAPE FROM PRISON. MANY TIMES, IT'S THE WORST ONES, THE ONES YOU MOST WANT KEPT OUT OF THE PUBLIC. Executed murderers don't ever escape from prison to murder again.

This guy was being held for COP KILLING, and STILL THEY COULD NOT MANAGE TO KEEP A CLOSE ENOUGH EYE ON HIM THAT HE COULD NOT ESCAPE?! ***, PEOPLE?!

My point is that we need to be a lot more serious about keeping dangerous people WELL under lock and key. And the worst, most degenerate specimens should be put down as soon as legally possible.

-azurefly

azurefly

I actually know this guy and his brother..... his brother was just convicted for murder and sentenced to life in prison....

So... I guess we can look forward to the possibility that some time during his life in prison, HE TOO might escape and be yet another murderer who gets out of prison to kill again?

Executed murderers never murder again. That alone is all the reason I need to support the death penalty.

How can anyone argue against my point, anyway? The brother you mention -- the possibility of his future escape was just demonstrated by the current events. :mad:

-azurefly

garryc

Once this scum bucket gets convicted and sent to an Ohio prison his odds of escape are very, very slim. After many years a murderer could step down to minimum security and go to a farm in which he works outside the fence. Not this guy, he has escaped from custody once and will never be allowed outside the wire. So, while he might make minimum security after many years, he will do no better than a medium security compound.
What alot of people think in Ohio is that the inmates in the farm camps are all in for drugs of DUI's. Not so, there are murderers. There used to be no sex offenders, now there are. In one farm camp they are held in an enclosure that has no alarms on the fence and no armed patrol. Now thats more plucked up than a little bit.

azurefly

The guy escaped after he was already in custody for killing a cop.

Can you explain to me why he has to be allowed a first escape before they put him under this ultra-mega-super-duper watchful guard you're talking about?

What makes the prison unwilling to adequately watch a murderer until he has already had one escape? THEN they say, "Oh, gee, I guess we better MEAN it when we say, 'Stay in the prison!'" :rolleyes:

-azurefly

Harley Quinn

azurefly

I am of the same feeling, someone really messed up!
He fashioned a rope out of his sheet and toilet paper. Wow, must be some tough wipe there! That is enough to make you go over the hill.

He is a real bad dude and needs to be given the lead/copper pill.

HQ:)

Harley Quinn

garryc

Between your last post and this one I am referring to now, a prisoner is some one who is in prison and an arrestee is some one who is in jail. One has been convicted and the other is awaiting trial

It is a good point, maybe you ought to have made it a litttle clearer so the person you are talking to will know who you are elucidating.

Guilty is the main term we are talking about, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, a mistake in our system, I might add.

They do slip up in a non maximum enviroment. This guy has something on his mind and it is freedom. Social deviant that he is, but we still allow him his rights.
He has shown his true inclination, he is to be considered very dangerous and should be shot and not messed with, other then hunting him down and expunge him.
In other countries they might not see the light of day again. Our religion in this country talks about a better place after death. We need to send him there.:p

HQ;)

Blackwater OPS

Guilty is the main term we are talking about, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, a mistake in our system, I might add.

:eek: I hate to hear stuff like that from a cop, you might not feel that way if you were ever wrongly arrested/accused.

That said, this guy is SOS(shoot on sight).