Chiappa Rhino .357 Any hands on?

Nakanokalronin

I recently sold mine due to how a catastrophic failure can lead to you losing a finger. The barrel on the bottom is great for taming muzzle flip, but any overcharged loads or squib rounds have been known to blow out towards the bottom in every instance I've read about. The result is the frame grenades and takes some of the person's fingers with it as well. I saw a post about this happening very recently, but there have been quite a few before.

Now before someone posts pictures of other brands of revolvers exploding for the same reasons, notice how they typically get destroyed by blowing out from the top or the sides, not down while also taking out the frame as well as the shooters finger or hand.

It's a cool design, but I plan on replacing it with something similar and in a traditional configuration like a TRR8.

Last edited:
no doubt one of the reasons I wanted one for my first revolver is just because it looks modern and not like a usual revolver.

one of the downsides of being born past the age of revolvers, I can't tell a Model 19 from a Colt Python unless it graces Bac's pink carpet.

smee78

If the price is right give it a try. If not then let it go, ask your buddy to let you shoot it first. Seems a lot of internet talk without many first hand experiences. I like the looks of the 4" model and would take one for a spin if I had the chance.

bbbbryan

I recently sold mine due to how a catastrophic failure can lead to you losing a finger. The barrel on the bottom is great for taming muzzle flip, but any overcharged loads or squib rounds have been known to blow out towards the bottom in every instance I've read about. The result is the frame grenades and takes some of the person's fingers with it as well. I saw a post about this happening very recently, but there have been quite a few before.

Now before someone posts pictures of other brands of revolvers exploding for the same reasons, notice how they typically get destroyed by blowing out from the top or the sides, not down while also taking out the frame as well as the shooters finger or hand.

It's a cool design, but I plan on replacing it with something similar and in a traditional configuration like a TRR8.

That TRR8 is damn beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sevens

Seems a lot of internet talk without many first hand experiences.
I relayed two first hand experiences but folks who believe these are a high quality product seem to think that Chiappa products are only shoddy on the internet.

Outside of the Rhino and it's extremely complicated and convoluted inner design, what do the masses think about OTHER products from Chiappa?

It's been my observation that Chiappa offers two grades... total crap for low money and overpriced crap for high money.

I still want to own a Rhino. If I could find a 4 or 6 inch for $400 or under that isn't broke before I touch it, I am a buyer. That's how impressed I am with the bottom chamber concept.

By and large, judging Chiappa on their products, I am actually shocked they are still in business this far. Shocked.

M88

After reading mostly negative things on the internet, I talked to two people who actually did own and shoot them, and both had good things to say. I was interested in the concept and eventually did buy a Rhino 60DS with the 6 inch barrel. Took it to the range last week to see what all the fuss was about. Yes... UGLY gun, yes... doesn't exude quality like my Sigs or my little Beretta Tomcat, but after putting about 30 rounds through it, have to say it truly does turn a 357 Magnum recoil into a 9mm recoil, no question. Especially in the 6 inch model I have which is a bit heavier. As far as quality, time will tell. Fit and finish were on par with most of my other handguns, but then I'm not that hard to please.

Bottom line, the concept WORKS. Based on my first range time with it, I can foresee firing full 357 loads through this 60DS all day long and not go home with a sore hand/ wrist. My SP101, probably because it's so light, I only put 38 SPL through it because after a few cylinders of 357 my hand starts to hurt.

JL Wesson

I want one Rhino too. Most likely the 50D or the 40D. They also added a "race" version of the clockwork to their catalog developed for IDPA et similia competitions.
It is just too expensive for me at the moment but I would love to get one sooner or later.
As far as quality of Chiappa product is concerned I have been shooting one of their Win '92 lever action for four years now, and I think it is a great gun. Works great in CAS matches and it had withstand flawlessly a couple of thousands rounds per year. There are better designs for CAS by I wanted something capable to run also "bear loads" (not that we have bears here...). I also had great support from the factory always providing me with the small spares I needed for free (mainly the port gate spring get soft and the best is to replace the part). I live a two hours drive from the factory so it is easy for me to get there and have everything fixed and set up by them and tested in their range. Anyway they have always been very supportive and kindly to me.

Andy Blozinski

"They also added a "race" version of the clockwork to their catalog developed for IDPA et similia competitions."

What is this you speak of? I'm interested.

JL Wesson

Andy, I took a look but from the company network I cannot access "weapons" websites due to "ethic restrictions"...
Anyway the model is named "Charging Rhino". Look for this in Chiappa's website.
It was developed by one of the Chiappa guys I had the chance to meet and speak to in a couple of matches. He works at Chiappa and used to compete for them and they worked on a competition (as opposed to defensive) version of their revolver. He said it came out very well. I had the chance to shoot a cylinder but not being an expert in IDPA cannot compare it to other brands. It just felt nice in my hands and recoil was negligible.