Cheese-grater pistols

Big Shrek

PMR-30 would make great swiss cheese outta whatever it hits, tho ;)
Much good to be said for 30 rounds per mag of .22WMR!!

Only bad thing about 'em is the unavailability of the .22WMR round right now...
This too, shall pass ;)

kcub

HK USP is the best looking rail.

On the plus side you can get cheap police trade in lights at GT Distributors.

Also on the plus side is you can shoot all the 9mm +P+ you want per manual as the pistol was designed around the .40.

Also on the plus side is you can get the match trigger kit which doesn't work with most HK models.

michael t

Leave the rail for trains I don't like or want them on my pistols. . I will use flashlight as I was taught years back .

last place I want to see them is on a 1911 . Go ruin a plastic gun leave steel alone :mad:

Bongo Boy

I dislike them enough to have removed mine from my new-at-the-time P220 Elite Stainless:

and you may have noticed, I dislike trigger guard 'hooks' even more.

The very first rough-in cuts were the scariest:

I use a G20 as an around-the-house gun with a Streamlight mounted on it--don't have a problem with that. It's not like a tac-rail is going to improve or detract from the aesthetics of a Glock. Wrapping the grip with duct tape would be an improvement, maybe. :)

Last edited:

9x18_Walther

As much as everyone is talking about the PPQ these days, I love the P99 and I'm looking at getting a 1st generation model because I prefer its appearance.

The 1st generation P99s use a proprietary rail similar to the USP and early generation Glocks. The rail is far less aesthetically ugly, but finding accessories and rail adapters is a pain. Proprietary rails tend to look the cleanest due to the manufacturer controlling the accessories.

The very first rough-in cuts were the scariest

Doing that to any gun, let alone a P220 Elite Stainless is frightening!

The real important part is the finished product, which looks awesome! One of the best SIGs I've seen recently. Is that just bead-blasted stainless in the final product?

Bongo Boy

One of the best SIGs I've seen recently. Is that just bead-blasted stainless in the final product?

Thanks--that's very kind of you to say. Yes, bead blasted. The plan was to send it off to get it Melonite'd, but I sold it instead. Not the very stupidest thing I've ever done, by any means, but I'd put it in my Top 10.

Fishbed77

Do you drive a car? Ride an elevator or escalator? Ever been to the doctor and had any kind of scan done or blood work analyzed? We do it all the time.

I won't comment on the other items, but an elevator or escalator is perfectly safe in the event of a power or mechanical failure (despite what the movies say). Because of physics.

A hydraulic elevator sits on top of a huge hydraulic piston and will just stop or very slowly lower in event of a failure. A traction elevator has a counterweight that is very close in weight to the loaded cab. The motor only has to overcome this very slight weight difference, and in event of total failure, the cab can only lower slowly (because of the counterweight). That's assuming the redundant brakes (which both hydraulic and traction elevators have) don't work. But they always do, as they are triggered by gravity (which works even when the power goes out):

runaway-elevator-2.gif

When an escalator loses power, it just becomes a flight of stairs.

Don357

A friend of mine refers to a laser on a gun at night as a target for the enemy to shoot at. BTW, I dislike rails also. Why buy an ultralight gun and then weight it down with attachments that are difficult to find a holster to fit?

9x18_Walther

Rails are for those who have their "tactical" situation fantasies.

How untrue!

This is for "tactical" situations. You obviously need to attach an holographic sight, tactical flashlight, red laser grips, and when you need to conduct night operations an IR illuminator/laser as well (you might need the adapter that has rails on the side as well :D).

Attach a folding stock to your pistol, add the suppressor, and finish it off with a vertical foregrip and you are good.

I wouldn't leave home without it. :p

614w-9cKhDL._SL1000_.jpg

Theohazard

gyvel said:
Rails are for those who have their "tactical" situation fantasies.
Are you being serious?

I've never understood why there's the constant hate for people who like rails. Sure, you might not like them, and that's completely fine, but others find them useful.

I prefer to use a separate handheld flashlight in my off-hand, but I also have a flashlight mounted on my home-defense handgun. This gives me the best of both worlds: I can use the separate flashlight if I have both hands free, but if I need my other hand for something else then I still have the means to identify my target in the dark.

I simply don't understand the people who advocate against having a weapon-mounted flashlight. Guess what: If you think the light might give away your position or otherwise be a disadvantage, then turn it off. And nobody is saying that you can't also use a separate handheld flashlight. But with a weapon-mounted flashlight you at least always have some kind of light with your gun at all times, and I don't think any sensible person would say that's worse than having no light at all.

9x18_Walther

I simply don't understand the people who advocate against having a weapon-mounted flashlight.

The biggest argument I've seen against weapon-mounted flashlights is that you may point the gun in the direction of your family or other innocent people.

Last time I checked, a flashlight doesn't act like a laser and will illuminate areas even when not directing pointing at them.

A lot of LE organizations don't issue them because in the past officers have used them in lieu of a flashlight for other non-threatening situations (e.g. reading a map).

If the weapon-mounted light is used in a hostile scenario, I see it as an advantage always.

I've seen multiple photos of the FBI's HRT and other elite groups using weapon-mounted lights. If it is good enough for them, it good enough for civilians.