Cheapskate rig

Recon7

Alright I am ready for the snobs, but please honest evaluation. I will be finally going to a ccw class this weekend, and this is what I intend to carry after the permit comes. In case you can't clearly see, It is a G17 in a Glock holster on a spec-ops web belt. I will also carry a Kel tec p3at in a "custom" pocket holster made by wifey. The knife is a CRKT M16-14LE approx 3.9 in tanto blade. The light is a wally world special 3 watt Rayovac, It is pretty bright and has a good tail cap switch so I can use the "surefire hold" on it. It is of course not on par with a surefire.

Please no Kel-tec or Glock bashing, I am looking for input on the holsters, knife, flashlight and general setup. If you think I should replace 1 or more components, please be specific and prioritize what you think needs to go first. It is likely I will only carry 1 gun or the other and not both at once. I am considering carrying a spare mag for the Glock, but as I have no mag pouches it would be loose in my pocket, which I'm not sure would be a good idea. I am happy with the ammo I have chosen for the guns, so I will just leave that out of the equation.

Around the house I have been wearing the Glock holster at around 3:15 on the outside of the belt as pictured. the belt pulling the "wings" of the holster in provides good tension. I tried the holster inside the belt, but that made it more bulky as the wings pulled the belt away from my body and presented a bulkier print.
attachment.php

Attachments

• SD530249.JPG
    SD530249.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 585

overkill556x45

I don't have a CCW (yet--living in campustown...no CCW:barf:) so take what I say with the required dose of salt.

My only concern would be the Spec Ops web belt. They seem stiff at first, but will stretch as the day goes on. Go to a clothing store and get a decent leather belt for $20 or so. You'll be glad you did. I carry my Glock 17 in an IWB Fobus around the farm (legally engaged in target shooting, thank you) which isn't picky about belts. My two Blackhawk Serpa belt holsters need a leather belt. eight hours of sweat from driving fence posts soaks through a web belt pretty quickly. I have several Spec Ops web belts because I'm still in the 'guard and certain colors are authorized. I still use a cheap-ish leather belt when wearing an outside-the-pants holster.

Jon-m

No real suggestions on the ccw set up, but I do have a question for you.

Your crkt seems pretty warn out, have you ever had lots of problems with the screw that holds the blad in place loosening on you?
I just recently bought the same knife, and within a day or two the damned thing was already coming completely out. I thought it was just do to poor design, but If you've used yours as much as it looks, yours must be holding up better. I've tightened mine a few times, but it always comes loose in a hurry. Maybe theres just something wrong with mine then?:confused:

Recon7

Belt stretching, I will keep an eye on that.

As for the crkt, the main screw on the blade has been fine, but the 2 of the 3 screws on the pocket clip have cracked in half. I extracted them and they still need to be replaced. BTW if you take the main screw off take a picture of the various layers of washers and so forth, there are about 5 components held in by the screw and they need to be in proper order when reinstalled.

azredhawk44

Improve upon the belt and holster for the G17.

The ones you have now make a good open carry solution, but will attract interesting attention if you actually wore them out in public at the mall or elsewhere.

If you can't wear it and blend in in a tasteful manner, it's just gonna cause you grief.

Get a good leather gunbelt and IWB holster. One with 2 clips to retain the holster, spread out about 6" or so apart. Great way to disribute the width of the gun more evenly, as well as the weight. Works great for my 3" SP-101 that weighs as much or more than your G17.

I have a cheap leather IWB holster with a single belt clip for a 1911, and I dislike it. I wish I spent $60 on a good one rather than $30 on a bad one. At least I'd have something worth using.

Does the Keltec fit in a pocket with that extra mag in the pocket holster? If not, re-design the holster to not use a mag. My pockets aren't that big and I only have a J-frame in my front pocket. If I want a reload, I have to put it elsewhere.

Recon7

44, the holster probably will be the first thing to go, I will really have to dress around it in the mean time and probably find myself carrying the Kel tec more often. The Kel tec holster is patterned off one I saw for sale on some website (don't recall which one) the mag snags on the draw and keeps the holster in place. A reload from the right pocket isn't ideal, but at least it is there. The full holster is pretty small and light. it disappears in the hip pocket of all my jeans and cargo shorts.

Recon7

Scary stuff, In due time I plan to get some nicer gear, I just finally got the money together for the class and permit fee. Let me just say that both guns have stock triggers on them and neither one will be at any tome pointed at my crotch. The KT points down the top of my thigh in the pocket rig and has a pretty heavy trigger. I plan on it being the only thing in the pocket and placing my keys and other stuff on the left.

This is a temporary setup, someday I would like to have a high end 1911 in a leather holster on a good belt with a airlight smith as backup, but this may have to do for a while.

If I notice the belt stretching, it's gone. Folks, which holster would you replace first?

Hey man if it works for you then go for it. Not everyone here has a lot of money to spend on accessories.

That being said, your CRKT has some "character". Just curious what you are using it for.

azredhawk44

Folks, which holster would you replace first?

Definitely the G17 holster. Whatever allows you to carry that weapon with you as often as possible HAS to be a good thing.

As much as I dislike the way glocks handle or the trigger, I do have to admit they are reliable and propel a functional cartridge. A man with a G17 on his side is not one to pick a fight with.

Recon7

Hellfire, I've had the cricket for over 7 years now, technically this one only around 4 I broke the first and the factory sent me this one here. I have abused it quite a bit keeping the excellent warranty in mind. The first one I had did not have the lock on it. It has been a hammer, pry bar and many other improvised tools. It is a very durable knife. It has the 1* logo on it, which is a safety slogan that comes from an old joke.

An elementary class was studying history and then moved on to punctuation when the teacher asked the students to use the word asterisk in a sentence. Finally the troublemaker in the back of class raised his hand and said "the patriot Nathan Hale said I only regret that I have but one asterisk for my country"

Recon7

But they match the plastic gun and plastic sandals I wear so often (not pictured) :)

To quote the Wells Fargo ads, "someday..."

Erik

"...but please honest evaluation."

You need a magazine carrier for the extra Glock magazine that you should be carrying.

brett30030

Maybe it is the state you live in, but why do you need all that stuff for concealed carry? What are you going to cover it with (a Muumuu)?:p

Recon7

I already mentioned I probably will just carry 1 gun or the other. Not sure if the knife or flashlight will be carried often, but I already have them and they may get carried.

Funny, I get the "carry more" and "carry less" posts back to back.

NickW

Leather belt, leather holster, carry a knife that does not lock the blade with a liner lock, the CRKT liner locks are flimsy. Nylon will stretch, the intrinsic stiffness of a nylon weave belt is no match for cured quarter inch cowhide. Concealed carry means just that, if your weapons flopping out all over the place, then that just draws attention and like azredhawk44 said, “it's just gonna cause you grief.”

Smaug

Well, I carried my G34 around the house in a holster like that, and it was uncomfortable. I didn't like that the tautness of the belt effected how the gun fit in the holster. They made the loops centered in the holster, so that it is ambidextrous.

I agree, replace the holster first. Even an inexpensive nylon one by Uncle Mikes would be better. A sturdy leather belt, you've probably already got one.

Skip the extra mag carrier now. Presumably, one of the main reasons you carry a full size 9mm double stack magazine is for ammo capacity. Lots of folks carry 5 shot revolvers with no reload. I think you can "get by" with "only" 17 rounds.

Is the flashlight an LED model? If not, find one. Incandescent bulbs, such as xenon, can have the filament open on you at the most inopportune times, and I would arge that the flashlight is even more important than the gun. (you need to be able to ID your target!)

I agree with earlier comments about the Kel-Tec. I hadn't thought of the homemade holster issue until I read that linked thread about the guy shooting himself in the balls.

Dwight55

Recon, . . . as the others have said before me, . . . get a good leather holster and leather GUN belt.

My carry piece is a full size steel 1911 with 9 rds in it, . . . can do it all day with no problemo, . . . have good IWB, OWB, and shoulder rigs for it, . . . just depends on where/what/with who I'm going that day.

Prioritize: 1) gun belt, 2) leather IWB/OWB holster for glock, 3) mag carrier for glock. This will get you carrying your better piece, . . . after that it is just buying more toys/accessories.

May God bless,
Dwight

AK103K

Other than looks, the kydex holsters and nylon type belts are your best bet, and will outlast leather by a good bit, especially if your hard on stuff, and wear them on a daily basis. If you carry IWB, the kydex is actually easier on both you and the gun, and the gun in general, not that its an issue with the Glock.

I started with leather and soon moved away from it, as it wasnt working out for me. Other than some minor spots, I havent had a rusty gun since I went to kydex. Kydex is also quicker and smoother to draw from.

As for the extra mag, if its your main gun, you need a spare, and the ammo issue isnt the main reason. The weak link in any auto is its mag, and if you have issues, you need to get another in the gun to keep it working.