Cheap stuff that works

rickyrick

I present;

1. Bushnell Banner Rifle scopes with the CFC illuminated reticle.
I was prepared to spend 5 times the money but on line reviews steered me toward this scope.

2. American Eagle .223 jacketed hollow point. Ran across them at the sporting goods store and as I run through a lot of premium ammo I thought I would give it a shot. Seemed to do just as good as the expensive stuff.

3. Homemade shooting sticks.

as chance would have I got the opportunity to test them all three at once on a pig last night. It all turned out good.

less than 100 bucks total

Last edited:

jmr40

The best bargain equipment I've run across are the Leupold Yosemite Binoculars. The 6X30's sell for around $79. They are light, fairly compact and are very close to some $600 binoculars I own in clarity. For woods hunting they are all I've used for the last 3 years. They have held up well.

huntinaz

1. Old Weaver scopes ("Vintage" El Paso made). They still run like champions, and you can buy old K4's for like $40. They used to make budget stuff that lasts. I'll eventually break down and try one of they're new scopes, just hasn't happened yet.

2. Past "sell by" date Copenhagen at the Safeway gas station. Add a little bourbon to a can of long cut or snuff and you've got Cope black, good as new for $3 a can;)

doofus47

Cheap army (pick your army) surplus camo. Deer don't know you're not really Bulgarian if they can't see you....

rickyrick

Speaking of cheap camo, I have been searching surplus stores for on of those Desert Storm parka poncho looking things, yall remember, with the squares. They made us turn them in. But I am a lot bigger than my days then and cant find my size.

ndking1126

Leupold Yosemite Binoculars.

Holy cow, I second that!! I'm not a binocular expert so I'm not prepared to the compare them to the $600 binos, but I have used them and they are the first pair of binoculars that I loved. I've found all binos to be clunky and hard to use, and I've tried a few nice ones... but I was in love instantly.

My Marlin 60 is wearing a Simmons 4x32 .22lr scope that amazes me. Paid like $35 and it works great. Clear and easy to get a good picture. I guess sometimes simple things are the best.

SDShooter79

B Square long action 1 piece scope mount. Has diff slots cut in it to help with eye relief issues. Their like 7 bucks. Call it what you will, but my 270 wears one and it has never failed.

jimbob86

Cheap stuff that works?

Remington 721 rifles.

No frills. Good triggers, good steel. Accurate if the bore was not neglected..... and often have good quality scopes (Weaver as mentioned above) on them.

Available at a pawn shop near you for less than $400.

jimbob86

the Mosin 91 30 Rifle in this thread, It is definately cheap, and most certainly works.

Depends entirely on the task at hand: If you are deer hunting with shots possible further than 200 yards...... "minute of barn door" isn't going to get it.

Certainly works =/= performs task adequately.

And quality 7.62x54R soft-pointed ammo is not exactly cheap.....

tobnpr

Depends entirely on the task at hand: If you are deer hunting with shots possible further than 200 yards...... "minute of barn door" isn't going to get it.

For some reason, the MN "haters" seem to be alive and well along with the Mini-14 "haters" here...

"Minute of barn door?" Where did you come up with that? I think all the soldiers killed long range by MN snipers would beg to differ. You don't know what you're talking about.

My 91/30 sporter- with bedded receiver and pillars, Timney trigger in an aftermarket stock shoots 2-1/2" groups all day long (often better) at 200 meters with my handloads.

And who said anything about cheap ammo? Cheap ammo never shoots well....that's why it's cheap!

jimbob86

My 91/30 sporter- with bedded receiver and pillars, Timney trigger in an aftermarket stock shoots 2-1/2" groups all day long (often better) at 200 meters with my handloads.

And who said anything about cheap ammo? Cheap ammo never shoots well....that's why it's cheap!

Sooooo....... ummmmm .......er ....... lemmee git this straight here..... you want folk to take an $89 gun with a questionable bore and put a $99.95 trigger in it, a bit less on an aftermarket stock.... spend how much in gunsmithin' ..... and how much on load development? .....and still have a have an ungainly iron sighted gun designed for and made by illiterate peasants.... seems to me more trouble than it is worth. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and what you have done, at considerable expense and time, is make a bag of sorts out of a sow's ear.

That said, I want one...... but I'll be darned if I put more money in it than I paid for it!

L_Killkenny

Oh ya? And now you no longer have a cheap gun. I could go buy a used "about any brand you can think of" bolt action rifle for less than you have in that monster and shoot as well as yours or smaller. And it won't look like a jack handle with a 2x4 wire tied to it.

It has nothing to do with hate. Just facts. If you like the Mosins fine. Buy em, shoot em and have fun. But sticking money into one is ludacris.

LK

tobnpr

So....

$79 for the rifle...
$69 for the Boyd's stock...
And yeah, $95 for the Timney-
$0 on "gunsmithing". Where did I mention a smith? You can't bed your own receiver and install pillars? That's your problem...

You guys are right...what the hell was I thinking? I've got a TON of money tied up in it...

I think $250 is still a helluva deal for a MOA shooter.

And it won't look like a jack handle with a 2x4 wire tied to it.

Whatever you say, dude...
And, BTW, it's ludicrous...

IMAG0583.jpg

Last edited:

Eghad

B Square long action 1 piece scope mount. Has diff slots cut in it to help with eye relief issues. Their like 7 bucks. Call it what you will, but my 270 wears one and it has never failed.

I had that same problem with a scope on Savage/Stevens .25-06. same scope mount fixed that.

Now that is a nice 91/30 tobnpr. Some folks cant get over the notion that you can spend a little time and a little money and get a decent rifle. I am now tempted to do that.

You should submit that to Backwoods Magazine as a project article it would make a good read and project.

Last edited: