Charter Arms, Yay or Nay?

SonOfScubaDiver

I thought about buying the 40 cal version, but I didn't like it when I looked at it. The trigger felt very gritty to me. In fact, the whole action felt gritty and not very smooth at all. Maybe this was just a bad one, but it turned me off to getting one.

However, if I were to get one, I would carry a magazine rather than a speed strip. I've watched videos of guys reloading both the 9 and 40 versions of this gun using a magazine, and it was quick and smooth. Of course, it would take some practice to get it down, but a fella could carry quite a few extra rounds that way.

1MoreFord

My father had a .357 version that was nice. Not S&W nice but a good gun. I've threatened to buy a Bulldog several times over the years but the funds were't available when the gun was.

rclark

I have a CA .44 Special Bulldog and like it for what it is intended for. For me that is concealed carry/home revolver and in the 'not shoot it a lot' category. . I have my Rugers for 'shoot a lot' . Mine, out of the box shot far right at 25Ys and a little high, so I filed the rear sight channel and now it closer vertically but still not perfect.. I can't file any further. Still, knowing where it shoots I can ding the steel at 70 yards easy enough.... And if I can do that I 'should' be able to hit a threat at less than 10-15 Yards....

BeornLS

I've owned some Charter Arms and always enjoyed them. As most say, the fit and finish isn't up to S&W or Ruger levels, but they are nice guns and I've never had any issues with them. From what I hear, Charter is pretty nice to deal with if you do have issues.

I myself have been eyeballing the .45 ACP Pit Bull. I was a little worried about crimp jump but from what I hear if you get some good ammo it'll be alright. On the 9mm version I would check out the 'approved ammo list' that Bond Arms has for their new bullpup pistol. They tested all kinds of ammo looking fo the strongest crimps due to how that gun cycles by 'pulling' the bullet out of the mag. So they've done a lot of the work for you when looking for strong crimps on 9mm.

Hmm...now I'm thinking I may need the 9mm Pit Bull!

Model12Win

Yay.

Some of the best small revolvers currently made, anywhere. Their .44 Bulldog is peerless in size/weight/power formulations. They stand behind their products 100% in the rare case you'd ever need their CS. They have really shaped up their game in recent years and are under new management. They are phenomenal defensive revolver for the price, and 100% made in the USA.

Cyanide971

Thanks again for everyone’s responses, especially the recent ones! I actually had a major change of plans, but that’s for a new post (still involves revolvers).