Charter Arms, Yay or Nay?

Cyanide971

Anyone have any experience with Charter Arms revolvers? Looking at the 9mm Pit Bull Model since it DOESN’T require moon clips like the 9mm Ruger LCR variant. If I do decide to pick one up, I will most likely have the hammer bobbed to effectively make it DAO, which some of you already know is my preferred trigger system and, as I’ve not seen them offer the factory DAO in that caliber.

As to why the 9mm variant, I like the idea of having a small revolver in the same chambering as the majority of my pistols, especially since I have lots of Federal HST stocked up, which consistently performs well regardless of barrel length. Concerning Ruger, definitely gonna snag a 2.25” DAO SP 101 in .357 Mag down the road as well. Love the way they balance in my hands, and every model I’ve dry-fired has had a pleasant trigger pull.

Thanks for any and all insight![emoji6]

0a11031978a34674542d5f3c2e0c2e8b.jpg

8d28a62cd97de3d4acd17b264b5adddc.jpeg

turkeestalker

They do.
Their spring retention/ejection system intrigued me so I picked up a used Pit Bull in 40 S&W a while back.
Neat system and it does work, but the 40 is a bit snappy in such a light revolver, I might've been better off with the 9mm.
One thing I would note is that it is very easy to allow a cartridge or case to drop below the ejection 'star' if not handled carefully.
Because of that fact I don't believe their Pit Bull series is a good option for carry.
Then again, even though I religiously carry a speed strip, I don't really ever expect to have to reload my daily carry in a pinch, but who knows?
I hope to never have to draw my daily carry in self defense, much less reload it.
Anyhow, I do like the design and it is a decent revolver at it's price point.

Oh, and yes Charter will sell you a spurless hammer for I think about $25 for any of the models they sell and it is a simple swap.

Cyanide971

Thanks to everyone who has so far replied. Have been looking at all of the different models Charter Arms offers, and one that has caught my attention more than the Pit Bull is the .357 DAO Mag Pug. I guess I could always get one of those and the DAO SP-101. Can’t have too many![emoji23]

Josh17

Charter Arms are good revolvers. They are reliable and good quality revolvers.
Definite yay for Charter Arms

Kvon2

I don't mean to hijack the post and I hope the OP would be interested in the answer to this...

Those of you who own 9mm or 40 pit bulls - do they make speed strips that fit these rounds?

Buckeye!

I have 3 Charter Arms revolvers at this time .. I have owned a Charter Arms revolver for the past 30+ years ....
as for the 9mm Charter ,good choice ...

And you can order DAO hammer from Charter .. Install it in less than 5 minutes... I recently installed one ...

With the 9mm in a 2inch barrled revolver .. They useally have as high or higher velocity than a 3 inch barreled semiauto

https://goo.gl/images/rAei1Y

This is a pic of my 12oz Charter Goldfinger 38spl. That I installed a DAO hammer on.

Last edited:

Buckeye!

Kvon 2 ... Speed strips for a 9mm and 40 can be purchased .. When I have owned 380,9mm, 40 S&W and 45acp revovlers in the past I carried Magazines from a semi for spare ammo

turkeestalker

A 40 S&W uses the same speed strip as a 38 Special or 357 Magnum, and a 9mm uses the same speed strip as a 32 or a 327.
Their bases are essentially the same diameter.

Kvon2

@cyanide I'm constantly trying to figure out what my first carry gun will be when I move to a free state and I think you just figured it out for me!