Charter Arms Professional

charter-arms-professional-32-hr-magnum.jpg

7 shot H&R Magnum.

I like it!

chaim

Is it out yet? I see a good chance of my buying ONE of either this, the .327mag Ruger SP101 (3") or the new Colt King Cobra for most of the times when I want to carry a revolver.

agtman

Along the lines of Bob Wright's comment, what exactly is professional about this revolver?

It's an esthetic reference ... Like the difference in dress between your average auto mechanic and a well-tailored executive headed to a board meeting.

Most C.A. revolvers give off a 'workin' Joe' street look. This model, in contrast, exudes a more refined and polished 'upscale look.'

Whether you can appreciate it depends on which side of the 'esthetic' tracks you're from.

lee n. field

It's an esthetic reference ... Like the difference in dress between your average auto mechanic and a well-tailored executive headed to a board meeting.

Most C.A. revolvers give off a 'workin' Joe' street look. This model, in contrast, exudes a more refined and polished 'upscale look.'

Polished and straight, with a "nice pair of shoes".

HighValleyRanch

what exactly is professional about this revolver?
Because we all know that Professionals would choose a Charter Arms over all other brands, and of course they would choose .32 H&R.:D

But really the spin is that this "professional" revolver was designed to be a "fighting revolver" with the input of the USCC concealed carry input as per this page:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/charter-arms-professional-a-fighting-revolver/

a 7 round revolver lighter than a Smith 686 plus would be appealing.

Dave T

Whether you can appreciate it depends on which side of the 'esthetic' tracks you're from.

Somewhere in there I think I was called unrefined and from the wrong side of the tracks. Well, since I was born in Appalachia I guess it fits. But really, "exudes a more refined and polished 'upscale look.'" doesn't fit Charter Arms any more than it does me.

Dave

Lohman446

You know how sometimes something is ALMOST right but almost doesn't count because its really hard to measure...

This. I like the idea of a 32 H+R magnum chambered revolver for carry. I like the idea of 6 shots over 5 though 7 over 6 doesn't seem to matter. Longer barrel length I think is a plus. I dislike fiber tube sights Then I hit 22 ounces...

Its close. But I expect bigger than it needs to be, heavier then I want, and just...

Well ALMOST

chaim

a 7 round revolver lighter than a Smith 686 plus would be appealing.

This...

I'd bet (as would many others based on other threads on this gun on the web) that they went .32H&R Mag over .327 because the higher pressure .327 at this size would have to be a 6 shooter to be strong enough to handle the round. I'd rather lose the .327 and gain the higher round count if that is the choice. I've long considered buying a 3" 686 Plus, but they are a little big and heavy for regular CCW (as regular as I can get only being able to carry when out of state) and they are a little more expensive than I usually want in a CCW (though I have range guns in the price range and above). This 7 round capability, at lower prices, and a much smaller and lighter weight gun, is most definitely quite appealing.

ViperR

This is basically their Patriot model revolver, but in 7 shot for 32 H&R in a 3" barrel instead of the 327 6 shot in a 2 1/2" barrel. This small framed revolver (in the Patriot series) can't take the full 327's in steady use, so they had to chamber their new one for something milder. They also couldn't call it a Patriot, because that model name was in 327.
I have a Patriot and it's a handful in 327. I can see that firing full factory 327's would have a toll on it. I practice with Longs & 32 H&R's (I reload both) and I'm fine with a nice stout factory 32 H&R+P for carry.
It's a little larger than a J-frame and smaller the a K. Perfect size.
One less round, but if I do decide to carry with 327's, a few rounds out of it won't harm it. Just not for regular range use.
I really like mine and Charter stepped up quality.
Found a really nice old Bianchi holster for it.
Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• CA Patriot.JPG
    CA Patriot.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

TruthTellers

This...

I'd bet (as would many others based on other threads on this gun on the web) that they went .32H&R Mag over .327 because the higher pressure .327 at this size would have to be a 6 shooter to be strong enough to handle the round. I'd rather lose the .327 and gain the higher round count if that is the choice. I've long considered buying a 3" 686 Plus, but they are a little big and heavy for regular CCW (as regular as I can get only being able to carry when out of state) and they are a little more expensive than I usually want in a CCW (though I have range guns in the price range and above). This 7 round capability, at lower prices, and a much smaller and lighter weight gun, is most definitely quite appealing.
.327 is more than double the pressure of .32 Mag, unnecessarily so IMO. I think had the pressures been 30 to 35k max PSI, that would have been enough, still significantly higher than .32 Mag's 21k max PSI.

.327 can be loaded down to the mid 30k PSI pressures, but the problem is the guns chambered for .327 must be built to withstand full power .327 and that's where it becomes a quagmire. Manufacturers will not make a .327 revolver that's built for an in between .32 Mag and .327 cartridge (let's call this cartridge .327 Special) because if you can chamber the .327 Magnum in a .327 Special revolver, it's unsafe and the legal beagles won't allow it for fear of lawsuits.

So, we're stuck with .32 H&R Mag revolvers that could have a bit extra oomph to them if they were made in a .327 Special version or we're stuck with larger .327 Magnum revolvers that hold less rounds.

johnm1

If this were built on the same frame as the Undercover I would have One. The frame size just fits my smaller hands well and 32 mag is sounding better as I get older. The larger frame offers me nothing over my J Frame beyond 7 shots.

Dave T

I just saw one of CA's ads that proclaimed this a "Fighting Revolver". Well...I don't know who designed that set of stocks, with the huge platform right where my strong hand thumb would go. I would have to alter the two hand grip I have been shooting DA revolvers with since my police academy days (1973). Good grief!

Dave