Charter Arms Bulldog Shrouded 44 special

tallball

I have another 44 snub that I like a lot, but it has a hammer. I don't like to cc revolvers with hammer spurs, and I didn't want to grind the spur off of one of my pet revolvers. But I like to shoot 44 special and in the winter it's almost as easy to carry as my snub 38. So then I saw this on GB. You don't see the shrouded ones very often at all. It is fairly light for its size and fits in pocket holsters easily enough. I got it for a decent price. It has a noticeable drag line, but it feels like it hasn't been shot very much. I don't love the feel of Charter Arms revolvers, but it locks up tight and everything looks good on it.

I had a chance to go to the range for a little while yesterday and brought it along. It points just fine. The sights are fine for fixed sights, a little bigger than average, even. The grips aren't quite fat enough for my extra-large hand, but they filled it pretty good front to back and weren't spongy. The single action trigger is pretty decent (as most are), and the double action trigger isn't heavy at all. I didn't happen to have a lot of 44 special ammo on hand, but I shot half a box of cowboy loads through it. It was fun. The recoil isn't sharp and it is big enough to give you something to hold onto. I could hit a paper plate at 7 yards virtually every time. It shoots a little bit low and to the right, but that is easy to adjust for at that range. I will put different loads through it, but if it goes through a few hundred okay I may think about carrying it sometimes.

CharterArmsBulldog_zps00d12af0.jpg

Last edited:

JERRYS.

cool! I think they call that one the Big Easy.... or something like that, it was marketed as that a few years ago.

Catfish

I`m a fan of the 44 SP for ccw also. I carry a 329 PD S&W in 44 mag. but load it with the 44 SP`s. You would not like it though as it has the same size hammer as the other 29 series S&W`s, it just weights abt. as much as a 38 sp.

lee n. field

I don't like to cc revolvers with hammer spurs, and I didn't want to grind the spur off of one of my pet revolvers. But I like to shoot 44 special and in the winter it's almost as easy to carry as my snub 38. So then I saw this on GB. You don't see the shrouded ones very often at all. It is fairly light for its size and fits in pocket holsters easily enough. I got it for a decent price. It has a noticeable drag line, but it feels like it hasn't been shot very much. I don't love the feel of Charter Arms revolvers, but it locks up tight and everything looks good on it.

You do know, don't you (I ask rhetorically), that Charter Arms will sell you a bobbed DA hammer, and that swapping it out is a 5 minute job?

Cheapshooter

I have wanted a CA Bulldog on and off since the early ones came out. Now more on than off, and it is one of 4 left on my short list.
I was looking at Gander Mountain for something to use my gift cards, and rewards points on. No Bulldogs, Tristars, or Taurus 992 that share the list. But they did have a 2" Windicator that I asked about in another thread. Checked today, Windicator blew out with wind. But talking to the sales dude, younger than 90% of my guns, he said they could order one and have it delivered to the store without the fee they charge if I ordered on line.
Hmmm, the rusty old gears started to turn. What about a Bulldog! Checking on the in-store computer he found one with a CT laser, no thanks! But another one in stock is the bobbed hammer DAO. I really haven't thought about a DAO, I do like SA for accuracy check. But the more I think about it, the DAO probably makes a lot more sense if I ever want to use it for CCW in addition to it's primary intended use as a range toy.
Think I'll go order it tomorrow.:D
But with my luck, they will be out of stock by then,:mad:
I know Gander prices are not the best, not even good most times. But with sales and deals they have right now it will be about thirty bucks more than Bud's, but they don't have any.
Plus with my cards, and police nuts it's only going to cost me ninety bucks out of pocket!

tallball

I hope they get it in soon for you, Cheapshooter!

My other 44 specials are a Taurus ultralight 2" and a Rossi 720 3". They can keep their hammer spurs while the Bulldog takes care of pocket duty.

I usually shoot specials out of my 44 magnum single action, too. My FiL wondered if there was another caliber I would like for him to start reloading for me. It looks like it's going to be 44 special.

Dan-O

You should check out the Pachmayr Compacs for the Charters. I have big hands too and prefer them over the stock grips.

Cheapshooter

Ordered the Bulldog DAO this afternoon. Supposed to be in around the end of the week. $386 with the 10% off right now at Gander Mountain. Ten bucks or so higher than Buds, or Cheaper Than Dirt, but actually with shipping, and FFL transfer, it's several dollars less from GM
Plus, as I was getting everything ordered I heard one of the salesmen say " they have 22's on the shelf. Checked it out as I left, and sure enough, Remington Thunderbolts @$2.49/50 rounds plus the 10% so I got the 5 box limit for $12.10 :D

Cheapshooter

The short list never ends..always just one more for me.
I hear you there! Plus it's hard to shorten it when other guns intervene when they pop up. Like just now when I read on another thread that Taurus has realized their mistake with the View, and are introducing a metal side plate "non-view!:D

peggysue

. All the inside lock works in the View were polished and finished for the View. I am happy I have my View...they are mostly all gone now. Like the NAA Ranger...

Last edited:

peggysue

#3 down says...I think that's a really smart move. Most people seemed intrigued by a .38 of that size and weight. The "view" part is where most of us scoffed.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

Yes, I "now" about inclusions in gemstones.
But the dirty innards are what I said about the View when it came out. I don't care how purdy they might be polished on the inside.
Another thing I "now" is how the workings of a revolver operate, and I don't need to look at the side of one while I'm shooting it.:D
The NAA I have I bought because it is so small, and cute! A top break 22Mag isn't as small, or cute. I kept the mini in Mini Revolver.:D

peggysue

The 22mag NAA Ranger is no bigger than the 22mag SidewinderWish I had got the top break Ranger. They go for big bucks now.

Last edited: