• CA Boomer 1.jpg
    CA Boomer 1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 177
  • CA Boomer 2.jpg
    CA Boomer 2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

RECTIFIER

very cool, I had a BD waay back in the early 80's.it was a fun gun but too light for serious loads.(IMO)

I'm sure the porting helps yours...but no sights.? :eek:

Model12Win

What kind of paltry velocity are you getting out of that short ported barrel?

Not enough to reliably expand most stand pressure .44 special defense loads, I'll tell you that much.

pnac

Shooting Times did a series of articles using a pair of CA Bulldogs, cutting the barrels to 2", Magnaporting, refinishing (NP3 I believe), and having a two gun crossdraw rig made. This was in very late '70s to early '80s if you want to look it up. The conversions were called "Backpacker" as I recall.

CaptainO

This gives an entirely new meaning to the phrase "belly gun". I'm a bit leery of no sights on any firearm. The only firearm that doesn't need a front sight is one without a barrel. :eek:

lee n. field

very cool, I had a BD waay back in the early 80's.it was a fun gun but too light for serious loads.(IMO)

I'm sure the porting helps yours...but no sights.?

They remade the old Magnaport Backpacker custom gun.

Model12Win

Would only be worthwhile with full wadcutter loads. That tiny compensated barrel is not going to give you very good expansion with most hollow point loads.

turkeestalker

Honestly, if you're carrying a firearm for the purpose of self defense, you should be practicing hitting your target without using sights to aim. In the event that you need it, you're not likely to be lining up the sights on your target, but more likely pulling, pointing, and pressing.

Learn to hit what you're aiming at with your daily carry the same way that you point your finger... your finger doesn't have any sights on it.
But that's just my opinion.

When considering a typical distance in a SD situation, and the size, weight, and velocity of a typical 44 Special bullet, how important is expansion? Probably not as much as one might think.

RiponP90

Oh my gosh that is one crazy looking thing. But 44 SPL? Won't find me resisting on the other end of that bad boy. I wonder how long it would take to get used to that.

SmokinTom

No expansion you say ? The guy that gets hit with a 44 isn`t going to care one bit if the bullet expanded or not.

Model12Win

No expansion you say ? The guy that gets hit with a 44 isn`t going to care one bit if the bullet expanded or not.

Oh okay, whatever. Meanwhile I still with my .38 special +P with modern JHP rounds that actually EXPANDS (to .65" no less) from the 1 7/8" bbl on my pistol, and still get excellent penetration.

Last edited by a moderator:

hornetguy

I think the guy that said that meant that the bullet is already starting out at about the same diameter as smaller ones do AFTER they expand. (if they do)

........and he's correct.

Last edited by a moderator: