Changes at Ruger Customer Service???

rantingredneck

I have been having an on-again, off-again problem with my Ruger P90. I was getting failures to fire/primer light strikes and thought I might need a new hammerspring. I swapped it out and still having troubles. Intermittent failures with light primer strikes across the board. Finally figured maybe my firing pin was out of spec. It wasn't broken so I figured maybe it was a thousandth or two too short.

Never had to send a gun into Ruger before, but I've heard positive experiences from other people. Also heard people bellyache that they won't send out certain parts (like firing pins). So I called today from work and spoke to a very nice lady. I explained the problem to her. She first asked was the firing pin channel blocked or dirty. I said, no I had fully detail stripped it and cleaned it and the firing pin was not broken. She said to send it in to them and they'd get it working right. I asked for a call tag and she asked for a serial number. Of course I was at work and the gun was at home so I told her I'd call her back.

So I called back once I got home and I think got the same person. I told her I was the guy who called earlier and read her my serial number. I figured at this point I'd take a shot at maybe getting her to send me a firing pin. Didn't think she would given other's posted experiences, but it was worth a shot right??

So I tell her that the primers show light strikes all the time and sometimes so light that the round doesn't fire. I tell her I've fully stripped and cleaned the slide and have tried replacing the hammerspring with a known good one from another of my guns. I tell her my theory that the firing pin is just a shade out of spec. She says, "Well instead of you bothering with sending the gun in, why don't I just send you a firing pin?? You're comfortable putting it in right??" I tell her, "Sure, it's no problem to detail strip." She takes my name and address and I have a firing pin on the way. She said if swapping the firing pin didn't work to call her back for a call tag and they'd take the gun in for service and get it right. I told her I would, because if it ain't the firing pin I'm out of ideas.

All in all I'm pleased with the response. I was expecting to have to beg for a firing pin and have to send my gun in anyway. As it is, she offered the firing pin without me even asking.

:D

Smaug

That is surprising. I'd have thought they'd tell you to send the gun in, just out of liability fear.

It is good to hear.

When I puffed up my P90 barrel, they were also good to deal with. Don't ask how I did it. :eek:

hoytinak

That was good of them...kinda surprising though. I had to send a 22/45 into them to replace a firing pin I broke...I did ask but they wouldn't send me one. This was in 2004.

armedandsafe

If the part doesn't have to be fitted by a 'smith, they will often do that. I think it is often a matter of how knowledgable you sound when talking to them. I once talked to a deputy who was complaining that his Ruger was back at the factory...for grips. He had called asking how to change them and they gave him shipping instructions.

Pops

Lurch37

I think the Customer Service is great at Ruger. My problem was related to a Ruger Red Label and is a rather lengthy story.

Condensed, it involved the filler ribs between the barrels loosening while firing. I managed to bugger a couple small screws trying to fix the problem. I called to simply order 4 new screws, had my credit card in hand, and upon explaining why I needed them, I was sent 4 new screws, 2 new ribs, and 2 new mounting blocks...all free of charge.

I was also told that if that didn't cure the problem, they wanted the gun back so they could fix it.

speedracer211

Ruger never gave me a problem when it came to parts. I would call tell them what broke and in some instances the guy would send a few of the part out to me. They even three day shipped some stuff.

CraigC

A lot of those parts that Ruger won't sell directly can be had from Brownells, including firing pins.

izzkidioto

I have had nothing but good experiences from Ruger with my P345. Asked for a new magazine spring and recoil spring (just in case) and got them with no questions asked.

robhof

robhof

My son's friend picked up a well used P85 and was told by the previous owner that it was broke and would fire on safe. I told my son's friend to call Ruger; they stated that it was on a recall and they gave him instructions to send it in free. It came back looking like a new gun, they even replaced the cracked grips. A hell of a deal for $50.00. The only problem is now it looks too good to shoot.

rantingredneck

A lot of those parts that Ruger won't sell directly can be had from Brownells, including firing pins.

yeah, but why buy them when Ruger will send you one for free??

I've heard lots of good about Ruger's service when it comes to sending guns in to be fixed. I expected to have to do that with my P90 even though I was hoping they'd just send me a firing pin. My surprise was that the firing pin was offered so easily. Based on other's posted experiences I was expecting them not to want to send that part out.

Sgt.Fathead

I've had excellent service from Ruger twice, once with a GP100 that they replaced the barrel on and once on replacement springs for an SP model. They are quick and more importantly, efficient and customer oriented.

As a side note, Remington has lost a customer due to the very opposite.

rantingredneck

An update to this thread. I received the firing pin and swapped them out. Still having light strike problems. Called customer service back and spoke to a service tech. He asked if the primer indentations were off-center. They are. He said likely a machining problem with the slide/firing pin channel. So they sent me a call tag and I got it to UPS today. We'll see what happens from here and I'll keep the thread updated as we go.

First time I've ever had an issue with a Ruger. So far I'm pleased with the service.

earshot

i've always had good success in dealing with ruger till a couple days ago.
i explained to the lady my base pin was backing out when i fire the gun.
she said it is the latch spring and she could send it out, upon taking my address she asked what credit card i wanted to use. i said excuse me,
you stated the spring is wore out. i said forget it . i've never encountered that take before. anyways i installed the new spring and there is still a small amount of slop. this leads me to believe it is the pin. i just may call about the pin and see what develops. dan

hoytinak

So they sent me a call tag and I got it to UPS today.

What was the time-frame they gave you? I send my LCP to them today for the peening on the slide and they said it'd be a 9-10 week turn around time. :eek:

rantingredneck

I didn't ask about turnaround time. Honestly I don't shoot my P90 that much these days so if it takes them a couple months I won't gripe too much. I just want a nice healthy primer mark when I get it back.

hoytinak

Yeah, I'm not really griping either (I know they're still busy with the SR9 recall stuff)...just didn't think it'd take that long.

Beside, now I get to get re-united with my Seecamp. ;)

rantingredneck

Cool. So you're getting them to fix the frame peening?? From what I heard that's only cosmetic. Or is there new news on that?? Mine has peened, but it's not getting any worse. Pretty much looks like it did after I fired the first 50 rounds. I'm upward of 300 or so now.

hoytinak

She told me I'd prolly be getting a new slide, but I'd have to send it in for them to look at. Mine has just shy of 2000 rounds through it, but I don't think it was there till this last range trip...or that's at least when I noticed it :eek:. I would have thought I'd notice it before if it was there though as I clean my carry guns after every range trip....we'll see.

raveneap

My experience with Ruger Customer Service has been limited (one repair return) but outstanding. My new Mark III was having FTFeed issues and had deep scratches below the ejection port. They corrected the problem, removed the scratches and had it back to me quickly. I've found S&W's service to be the same.