Chain Fire

Doc Hoy

I like these punches for wads because....

the opening in the shank allows the user to keep on making wads without stopping.The finished wads just start coming out of the opening the same as a punch that is made for wad cutting. I use a drill press and it goes very fast.

wogpotter

Blegh, the egg cartons are plastic!
No dice.
Oh heck no! DO NOT use the foamy plastic, that stuff will melt & glue up like crazy.
They must be the paper mache ones.

I have to confess to an attack of "Plumbum Pedulosa" I use a 1/2" punch for everything because the same wads can be used in my .45 revolver & as an under ball wad or my .50 Hawken.:p

Last edited:

Gavlan

Free wads, yep, FREE! don't cost a single ding-dang-doodle penny.

Get a 1/2" punch from wherever, in a pinch use a .45 fired case with the mouth "sharpened" with a chamfer/deburr tool. Steel cases are good for this & most just leave them at the range.

Now take paper mache egg cartons, all you do is punch out a bunch of holes.
Now put a drop of olive oil on each side of each wad. Let 'em sit a few days to soak evenly. They shouldn't be "wet" with olive oil, just soaked through.

The fibrous paper will soften so it curves to fit the ball & you just sit it over the chamber mouth, sit the RB on it & ram home .

I'm heading to the fridge then getting my deburring tool and getting after it.

Doc Hoy

I wonder....

...If the packing forms that sometimes accompany new products.....The stuff that looks like it is made of the same stuff as the old egg cartons is actually the stuff that they make egg cartons out of....

Might be another source.

Did that make sense? =:?(

44 Dave

I had a few .36 balls and was out of the .38s for my Navy I just flattened enough to fatten them. You must be careful loading them being sure flats are straight.

wogpotter

Did that make sense? =:?(
Whut?:)
Easiest way to tell if the stuff is paper mache or some funky plastic is to clip off a small sliver & light it.
If it smells horrible & produces black "floofies" then its plastic & you don't want to use it!

wogpotter

I'm heading to the fridge then getting my deburring tool and getting after it.
Don't forget to drive the old primer out, then you can use a nail as a punch to get the cut wads out of the case.

Erno86

I top off my revolver cylinder chambers with a mixture of 2/3's Butter Crisco an 1/3 pure beeswax. I put the ingredients in an empty soup can in a pot of boiling water till melted --- stir --- then pour in a holding can --- let dry --- Then use a plastic knife to spread over the face of the chamber. The solution does not run when the cylinder gets hot.

dr1445

i use sagebrush wads $36/1000. i considered making my own but so many projects, so little space. i do cut some wax paper wads with a 45 or 9mm pistol case to use between powder and lubed wad when i load to keep a revolver loaded for a 2 or 3 weeks.