CCW with a single action

Status
Not open for further replies.

reteach

OK, I know all the reasons to NOT use a single action revolver as your concealed carry. So please don't go there. I'd like to hear success stories about ccw with a single action. How do you carry, what kind of holster, where did you get the holster, how do you manage reloads? Etc. I know some of you open carry a single action, and that's cool. But only looking for concealed carry ideas right now. Thanks.

SaxonPig

Success stories? The only success stories about carrying a SA revolver would be those where the gun was never needed. Foolish to carry a SA revolver. Not even a good 4th choice.

CDR_Glock

OK, I know all the reasons to NOT use a single action revolver as your concealed carry. So please don't go there. I'd like to hear success stories about ccw with a single action. How do you carry, what kind of holster, where did you get the holster, how do you manage reloads? Etc. I know some of you open carry a single action, and that's cool. But only looking for concealed carry ideas right now. Thanks.

I’ll play along.

I carry a Glock 19 with a Kimber K6S, but I have a North American Arms 22 Magnum.

Now, I got a Swing Out Sidewinder North American Arms Revolver Which is easier to reload but too time consuming in real time. Therefore I carry two NAA revolvers in 22 Magnum plus my Kimber K6S.

I have practiced shooting the mouse gun at 5-7 yards, at my rubber dummy, with head shots. I’d only use it if I’m dealing with a life threatening situation indoors but it’s good to have a backup. So I do New York Reload Plus (backup gun and another backup).

It’s the only single action gun I can fire one handed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JMag1

Would you like stories from this century, or one or two back? Just kidding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rothdel

I think this depends on the location doesn't it? Barring the NAA mini revolvers which I understand as a BUG or in the right situation I think most people would agree in an urban environment that a SAO is not the best choice, but....... there are so many factors here that I do think (and I hope this is what the OP was getting at) there are exceptions.

When I'm biking I often carry only a NAA due to size and weight. Again a one off.

When I go camping I often carry larger caliber revolver .357 or .45 LC and instead of bringing multiple guns when I go into town that is what rides under my shirt. The best option in town? Maybe not but in my mind acceptable especially since I am proficient with those firearms and feel more comfortable in the woods than I would if I had my LCP which is what I carry 99% of the time. Can certainly make the case that a DA revolver is a better choice in both cases than a SA but I think this comes down to personal preference and comfort/familiarity with said firearm.

CajunBass

There was a fellow in Richmond a few years ago, who exchanged shots with a would be robber at a convenience store. The "good guy" was open carrying a Remington S/A replica.

I don't remember the details, but I remember when it happened.

Cheapshooter

Or we could talk about the success of the Hudson Hornet in NASCAR racing in the 1950's:eek:

With so many excellent DA/SA, and "hammerless" DAO revolvers now, why bother.
Self defense isn't a good place for nostalgia.

Jim Watson

Back in the 1970s, a friend carried SOMETHING at all times. It was not uncommon for it to be a .45 Blackhawk, although it was just as often a 1911 or Model 29.
There was a deputy who carried a nickel plated Colt SAA .44 Special, going to the expense of a black basket weave uniform holster for it.

A SAA is just as good a weapon as it ever was, just that there are better choices available now.

smee78

I have carried my S/A Rugers without problem from time to time. . Its usually my Ruger Vaquero 3 1/4 birds head 45c or my 32H&R birds head Vaquero single six, it really depends where I'm going to determine if the gun will fit my possible needs. I usually use OTWB holsters and a over size shirt to cover them in about the 4ish o clock position, I havent found any IWB holsters for a good price that I like. I usually carry a speed strip in my pocket for a reload (God forbid I ever need to). I have alot of time with the guns and feel confident in my ability to put rounds on target when needed. Its not for everyone and only you can decide what works for you. Hope you get some better anwsers to your question.

reddog81

The answers to you question will depend on the gun chosen and the type of clothing you'll be wearing. It's just as easy to carry a SAA as it is any other revolver similar in size.

The downside is that reloads will take so long you might as well not even bother. If you insist on carrying some extra rounds, you might as well keep the rounds loose in your pocket.

Plenty of people carry 5 shot 38 specials without any reloads. 6 shots of .45 Colt is a better option should you need a gun for some reason.

Bob Wright

Success stories? The only success stories about carrying a SA revolver would be those where the gun was never needed. Foolish to carry a SA revolver. Not even a good 4th choice.

Call me foolish.

Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. Holster is Graveyard Jack Gunleather modified Tom Threepersons holster. A vest or sport coat easily conceals my carry when necessary.

As to reloads, I'm street-wise enough to avoid walking into situations where I might encounter a bunch of thugs. Most threat to me is when pumping gas or going to the post office.

Notice how easily a wife can conceal your gun:

Bob Wright

Last edited:

Bob Wright

The only "success story" I have happened many years ago in southeast Georgia when I suddenly found myself in the midst of a few cottonmouths. I had a Colt Frontier Scout .22 and fired three shots rapidly, killing three of the serpents. The last one was right between my feet. No auto or DA revolver could have killed those critters any deader.

Bob Wright

dahermit

There is nothing wrong with carrying a single action if that is all you have and you are very practiced and skilled in its use. It is way, way better than trying to pee on some one's leg as a defence because you are not armed.

Sharkbite

Could it be used successfully...? Sure. The SA revolver was the standard defensive handgun for almost a century. Can it still do the job...yes

It is FAR from the best option available. Defensive encounters happen quickly and at very close range most times. The ability to draw and fire one handed in extream close quarters WITHOUT the need to thumb back a hammer (or manipulate a safety, IMO) should be stressed in training.

Not everyone is as good with a SA as Bob Munden was. Using that type of handgun just makes the job of SD harder to accomplish.

Hawg

If you're familiar with them they're as good or better than a DA. I have carried one in my truck when I was driving 18's and ran off three dudes that came up on me when I was dropping a trailer on our yard in the 9th ward(not a good place to be after dark) in New Orleans after midnite. They were laughing and carrying on and I know one had a knife. When I pulled that hogleg and cocked the hammer they went running like there was no tomorrow.

Sharkbite

When I pulled that hogleg and cocked the hammer they went running like there was no tomorrow.

That would probably have been the reaction to ANY gun you produced.
The issues with a SA revolver only become disadvantages when you have to actually shoot it

peterg7

I bought this holster with the idea of CC or OC my Blackhawk, yeah I’ve got semi-autos but my EDC is usually an LCP so just add Blackhawk
8f2221bdd6eabe4d654de1e927330856.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armybrat

I wouldn't mind a 7 shot Ruger Single Seven Birdshead .327 for CC. Probably would pocket carry my LCP as a NY reload backup.

How many of you really think you're going to need any more than a handful of rounds to deter a wouldbe thug attack on your person? If you do carry enough semiauto reloads to "spray & pray", in such an unlikely event, then more power to you. But it's kind of condescending to belittle those who are entirely skilled enough & comfortable while CCing a SA.

reteach

Thanks for all the positive replies. I should have clarified that by "success stories" I meant in just the carrying and concealing, not the use of the gun in a fight.
Bob Wright - Your method of concealment is the best I've seen for any kind of gun. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.