CCW: revolver or auto ??

manta49

I would prefer a semi auto for the extra capasity . If you miss with your 6 shoots and the guy shooting at you has 19 you could be in trouble.

As for reliability i have put 5000 rds trough my CZ75SPO1 without a single failure of any type.

Skadoosh

This thread should have never see the light of day because it has been discussed MANY times on here over the years. Posters should research the old threads FIRST before rehashing old topics.

With the influx of many small "pocket carry" semi-autos into the CCW market, the reasons for choosing to carrying a small revolver evolve and change as well, which in my opinion warrants a revisit from time to time.

deathrider

snub nose 2" ported barrel, 44 special Taurus, loaded with hollowpoints.plus a NAA 22 in pocket.however from time to time, my mood changes, & I carry a Kahr K40, & if I know I will be in a bad area, I may have all 3 with me.

mesinge2

I do. I generally carry either an my Springfield Armory 4" Officer's or my 2.75" Ruger Security Six.

142.jpg

114.jpg

MLeake

Depends on carry mode

I like revolvers for pocket holsters, autos for belt holsters, and it doesn't really matter for chest or shoulder holsters.

For woods carry, I prefer large magnum revolvers, or a 10mm auto.

For urban carry, I prefer a service auto, with reliability of the platform as a deciding factor.

For very discrete carry, I almost always have a 442 in my pocket.

Seaman

Recently started carrying an S&W 22-4 as a primary. Not sure why, it is very accurate, uses 6-shot clips which make for surprisingly quick-change cylinder reloads, and I do like the 45 ACP cartridge.

But lets face it, its old tech, sorta like riding an old Norton as opposed to a modern Ninja, both bikes will get you there but the Norton makes for a way more eventful ride. Guess its a time capsule of sorts, taking me back to an age when life was more clear and adventurous.

Bad news if attacked by a half dozen perps, hafta make every shot count.

Doug S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugersp101
This thread should have never see the light of day because it has been discussed MANY times on here over the years. Posters should research the old threads FIRST before rehashing old topics.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This post should have never seen the light of day. The Poster could have ignored it or hit the back button. I guess some people just like trashing other people's threads. GET A LIFE!

+1

Just don't understand the mentality of some people...who bother to post such childish comments. If you don't like it, don't read it. Move on. And yet, you waste the time to post a childish reprimand. Get over yourself.

I love to pocket my 642 (and I think it fills a niche that none of my other handguns fill), but I just can't get past the thought that if I were ever really to need my CCW, I'd want something easier to shoot, with more rounds...so I haven't been able to give up the G26.

Missionary

Greetings
I still happily carry 5 shot revolvers. Why not ? would be my answer. Nothing new to learn, easy to put into action, easy to opperate, easy to maintain & clean and very few civilian shooting ever get anywhere close to 5 shots. Just because the design is older than everyone does not mean it no longer is servicable.
Mike in Peru

OkieCruffler

Take a good look, everything on here is an old topic. If we stop talking about old topics this board will come to a grinding halt.

Shadi Khalil

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This post should have never seen the light of day. The Poster could have ignored it or hit the back button. I guess some people just like trashing other people's threads. GET A LIFE!

+1, why even waste your time with a complaint response? 33 of us seem to think its worth discussing. You should delete that post and PM the OP with apologies...

For me, the j-frame is tough to beat. On occasion I'll carry an auto but I much prefer my 637. Aside from the reliability, ease of concealment and simple operation, they are just plain pretty.

GM2

For me my S&W model 64 carried it for years as LEO. Now retired and own 6 S&W revolvers of various calibers and one Remington 1911 R1 but my favorite is still my old trusty 64. ;)

Whirlwind06

I am a firm believer of having a same manual of arms for my carry guns. Like that I can go from my model 36 to the my K frames and the all work the same way. L and N frames are on my buy list and they all work the same way too.

Plus I just like them better.

Not to worried about the capacity issue. If 3 or more guys are gunning for me to take my life. I really doubt 15 rounds will make that much of a difference.

I prefer revolvers for CCW for all the obvious reasons and one not so obvious--
From reading the various handgun sites I've gathered that it's generally recommended that when you get a new CCW auto you should first establish its reliability. That entails finding a load that functions reliably in your gun. That reliability is established, they say, by running from 200 to 500 rounds through the gun without a notable malfunction. Factory ammo is preferred. If you're lucky, the first load you try is the "magic bullet" in which case you're only out a couple hundred bucks max. Of course there's always the possibility you'll have to try several different loads and possibly pay a gunsmith before you have a gun you can stake your life on. As you can see, one could conceivably equal or exceed the original cost of the gun before getting it to perform reliably. Logically that expense should be factored into the cost of the gun.

jfuller

After ten years of carrying a 1911, and being obnoxious in my assertions it was the only way to go, I now carry a 640 in the summer and a 686SSR in the winter (larger frame does not work for me in a t-shirt or golf shirt without additional cover garment). I shoot all well and have found the revolver easier to put in and out of service safely (moving into government facilities etc.) and more aesthetically pleasing without sacrificing performance. All said, I'm liable to change my mind again some day :)..... Carry safe, shoot straight, and enjoy life - don't be afraid of it, I believe.