CCw in National Forest?

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
mtnbkr wrote:
FWIW, I CCW whenever I'm in the National Forests located in Va. It was one of the motivators to get my license.
That's why I like Idaho's gun laws. Generally speaking, National Forests are outside of cities, mining camps, logging camps and railroad camps. Therefore, I don't need any permit to carry concealed.

I generally carry open out in the woods though, so I'm good to go wherever I am in Idaho.

Baba Louie

I've talked to two Game Wardens here in Nevada about this topic since 85% of all the land in the state is owned and operated by the BLM (Fed Lands).

Parks. NO. In fact, if you were to visit a National Park during deer hunting season and have your equipment with you, even if inside a locked auto, you are subject to seizure/fines should you attract the interest of any Park rangers or game wardens. So don't tie your deer carcass onto your truck where it can be seen or have pools of blood dripping from truck bed... when in Nat'l PARK's.

National Forests. Fine. In fact you can hunt in the forests during season if your tag allows you to in that particular area.

If you carry concealed, who is gonna know unless you use it to stop a crime where lethal force has been brought to bear against you? You may have to pay the piper later perhaps, but at least you'll (hopefully) be alive to do so.

Don H

Are firearms allowed?
Use, possession or transportation of firearms, bow & arrows and other arms or ammunition are allowed during designated hunting seasons. While possessing a firearm for the purpose of hunting you must have a valid state hunting license in your possession for the species you intend to hunt. The firearm possessed must be of the type legal for hunting the species that are in season. Notice: Any prohibited acts and other public hunting regulations do not in any way restrict a person having a concealed handgun license from possessing a concealed handgun, loaded or unloaded, on public hunting lands in strict accordance with the concealed handgun laws. For further information concerning firearms in Wildlife Management Areas refer to the "Prohibited Acts" found in the Texas Parks and Wildlife Public Hunting Lands Map Booklet.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/faq/index.shtml

Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands
First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are “cased gun laws”.

Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar “cased gun laws”. In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.

It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.
Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general firearms deer season.
The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.
People hunting with muzzle loading weapons or bow and arrow may not have a modern firearm in their possession regardless of the concealed weapon permit.

Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.

Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.

Reckless use or handling firearms: It is a violation of both Federal and State law to handle any firearm in a careless and reckless manner or hunt while under the influence of intoxicants or narcotic drugs.

TARGET SHOOTING - Target shooting is prohibited on the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests by an Order signed in February of 1996. Target shooting on National Forest should be accomplished only at approved ranges.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/gp/general_information/index.shtml#firearms

stevelyn

The Nazi Park Circus is an agency within the Dept. of Interior. Firearms are prohibited in NPs except for individuals who live within park boundries and have to cross easements to get to their property. Other exceptions are indigenous people who have had a traditional and customary use of wildlife resources in areas prior to the govt sanctioned theft of those lands.

National forests are under the management of the USDA. The purpose of the NFs are to provide for wildlife habitat, timber resources, recreation and hunting oportunities among other uses. Firearms are not generally prohibited in NFs unless it's places like visitor centers or other places where large numbers of people gather.

deanf

As to Don H's post:

His post seems to bare out what most have been saying: state firearms laws apply on National Forest land. Those links he supplied apply to specific NFs or NF districts. If you check the web pages for specific NFs, you will see that firearms rules in the NF are different from state to state, reflecting differing state laws.

For example, on NFs in Washington, you won't see anything about "cased gun laws" because there is no law about "cased guns." And you won't see any rules about no guns 'cept during huntin' season, 'cause in WA, you can carry a gun in the forest any time you want, 'ceptin' when you are muzzle loader or archery huntin'.