CCw in National Forest?

rangermonroe

I am taking my kids back into the mountains this weekend to do some camping and trout fishing.

Are there any prohibitions to carrying in a National forest? this is not a national park, and there is no "improvements", just woods and maountains.

Watchman

Here in the Ozarks there are no rules against it.

Dont know about your neck of the woods. I would suppose that the GameWardens and the Forestry Service LEO's would be the ones to ask.

That question often comes up at the CCW classes that I instruct. A conversation with the guys that would write you a ticket is the best way to go. We are good to go here...but its different everywhere I suspect.

Sir William

You shouldn't. The one issue is that you can be arrested/cited, weapon will be confiscated and you will need to appear in federal court of jurisdiction.

rangermonroe

I will contact Ga DNR and see what they have to say. I will be back in about 5 or six miles from where the road ends, So I will be responsible for my kids safety.

I have a Georgia carry permit, and I believe that is satisfactory.

Packing.org didn't have anything to say.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
It varies, state by state. Generally, the national forests abide by whatever state laws are in effect.

For an example: In Idaho, I need a carry permit to carry concealed IF I am in an incorporated city/town; a mining camp; a logging camp; a railroad camp. In all other areas, you are free to carry however you want. So in national forests, I can carry concealed without a permit as long as I stay out of the above mentioned areas.

So the answer is that what is legal in your state, is legal within the national forest boundaries of your state.

If you are required to have a permit to carry concealed anywhere/everywhere in your state, you will be required to have the permit to carry concealed on national forest land.

Watchman

You shouldn't. The one issue is that you can be arrested/cited, weapon will be confiscated and you will need to appear in federal court of jurisdiction.

First of all, if there is not a law against it, it shouldnt be a problem.
Secondly, its being out in the middle of nowhere that you really need it.
You are at the mercy of any 2 or 4 legged beast that decided to mess with you. The National Forest is not a friendly place. Nowadays, your chances a walking right into the middle of a meth operation is good. You may not need a gun but its better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Personally,I would take my chances with carrying a concealed weapon and having the abiility to protect myself and my kids,because there dang sure wont be anyone else around if you need them.

Most LEO's would have little concern over it,escpecially since you've got a permit. IF your CCW law doesnt specificaly adress prohibitions in the National Forests, you should be OK.

70-101

If the forest is on federal land the answer is no. Civilians can not carry firearms on federal property. In fact, civilians cannot even carry cap guns on federal property. If the forest is on state owned property check the laws by contacting the local ranger station that operates within the forest.

rangermonroe

It is on state land, and I am leagally allright to carry.

Even if it is a gray area,I will do what is right by my family. I don't anticipate any problems, better to have and not need.

deanf

If the forest is on federal land the answer is no. Civilians can not carry firearms on federal property. In fact, civilians cannot even carry cap guns on federal property.

What's your source for this?

70-101

Besides my brain.

The rules for National Parks, which I suspect National Forest's are a part of, are covered in the Code of Federal Regulations (36CFR2.4) Look them up if you think civilians can carry on Federal Property. That has not been designated in advance as open for hunting under special permit.

deanf

70-101, you should do a little more research before making a blanket statement on the internet.

USFS is administered by the US Dept. of Agriculture, not the statists at the Parks Service.

Please see the table at the bottom of this link.

It verifies that firearms are allowed in National Forests, subject to state law.

70-101

I did and your source said

Fireworks and Fireamrs:

1. Use of fireworks or other explosives is prohibited on National
Forest lands.

I guess next you will tell me firearms are not an explosive device.

drinks

Federal property

Most of the public hunting in the eastern half of Texas is on federally owned national forest lands, Sam Houston, Davy Crockett , Angelina and Sabine national forests, basicly, the only difference between state leased or private lands and federally owned lands is a federal requirement of 144 sq" of orange both front and back and an orange hat.
Firearms are not explosive devices or fireworks.
:cool:

k_dawg

"National Forest" != "National Park".

National Parks is 36CFR2.4

For Parks, the federal law is a prohibition for weapons, except for a few specific cases. Also, individual parks may allow it for certain areas, designated ranges, hunting, etc.

Weapon Regulations

Possession or use of firearms or other weapons in all National Park System (NPS) areas is prohibited (except as otherwise provided in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36 parts 7 (special regulations) and 13 (Alaska regulations). With rare exception (such as times when controlled hunting is allowed) weapons are to be dismantled completely and cased while visiting in NPS areas in the United States. In order to transport weapons through NPS areas they must be dismantled and adequately cased or packed in such a way as to prevent their use. Loaded weapons are subject to confiscation by park authorities.

Please contact the Chief Ranger or Superintendent of the park(s) you will be visiting for additional information concerning weapons, traps and nets.

Following is a reprint from the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36 - Parks, Forests, and Public Property. It is Section 2.4 Weapons, Traps and Nets.

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 36, Volume 1, Parts 1 to 199
[Revised as of July 1, 1998]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 36CFR2.4] [Page 19-20]
TITLE 36--PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY

####

National Forests is 36CFR261.8b

It essentially is "obey all federal/state/local" laws. So, if you can legally carry concealed in the state, you can carry in the national forest.

Note: some states have FUBAR regulations for hunters, where you can't carry concealed, or even HAVE on you any pistol while hunting!

Fjolnirsson

*Sigh*
No wonder we have so many problems as a voter block. We can't even agree on something that's laid out for us in plain english. Firearms are not explosives. Firearms are firearms. Cartridges used in firearms do contain a small portion of a rapidly burning material. So, I suppose the cartridges themselves could be considered an "explosive", if one wanted to be a real jerk.
Here. Look at this table, found in the above link. It clearly shows that firearms are permitted in National forests. Simple.
RERULATIONS DIFFER BETWEEN NATIONAL FOREST & NATIONAL PARK

Several of the Forest's trails provide access to Olympic National Park. When planning your trip remember that regulations will vary between the National Forest and National Park. Many of the trails provide access to the six wildernesses on the Olympic Peninsula (five in Olympic National Forest and one in Olympic National Park). Wilderness trails are closed to all motor vehicles and mountain bicycles.
Forest
Regulations

No
Wilderness overnight permit required *
Yes Wilderness limit on number of persons & stock in party **
Yes Wilderness closed to open fires ***
Yes Other rules governing use in Wilderness
Yes Firearms allowed
Yes State fishing license required ***
Yes Pets allowed on trails
Some Trails open to mountain bicycles ***
Some Trails open to motor vehicles ***
Some Trails open to pack and saddle stock ***
Yes Roadside camping allowed outside of campgrounds
Yes Pass or Passport required to park at trailhead****
* Obtain permit at an Olympic National Park office.

Hmm, doesn't turn out that well with a copy and paste. Look at the link. forest v park The chart is at the bottom of the page.

Sodbuster

Much of what Antipitas says about Idaho also goes in Montana. There is a difference between National Parks and National Forests. And some people, I've heard, (no coyness intended) carry illegally in National Parks to protect against bears. What else is new.

rangermonroe

As it turns out, there are several state WMA's in the National forests. They have hunting seasons specific to them.

So, I guess that the answer is self evident.

mtnbkr

The rules for National Parks, which I suspect National Forest's are a part of
You suspect wrong.

CCW is indeed legal in the National Forests located in Virginia if you have a CCW permit. In fact, the Va legislature recently (within the past year or two) protecting those who CCW with a valid permit from being charged with poaching (a problem if CCWing outside of hunting season). FWIW, I CCW whenever I'm in the National Forests located in Va. It was one of the motivators to get my license.

In NC, I was told by the local ranger's office that it was kosher to do some target shooting in the Pisgah National Forest (we were camping and mountain biking there) as long as we had a good backstop. This was 10 years ago, so things may have changed.

Chris