CCW- Check, Spare Mags- Check, Knifes- Check, Blowout Kit- WAIT...WHAT???

Skadoosh

Knock yourself out. Personally I seriously doubt I will be rendering assistance to anyone who just attacked me and was forced to shoot.

kraigwy

Not gun related, but I'll mention it anyway (because it effects me).

One of the most common killers in America is Heart Attacks, yet I've seen no one mention carrying a small bottle of Nitro pills, those little suckers saved a heck of a lot of lives.

Mike38

…..you should start to render aid ….. including the assailant.

Nope, not the assailant. I’m an EMT, and one of the main rules for us is to not go anywhere near, or into a place where our lives may be in danger. We let Law Enforcement secure the area / building, then we proceed.

The assailant just tried to kill you, or someone, otherwise you or someone else never would have shot him. His intent was to cause harm to others. For all you know, his intent is to still cause harm to you or others. The area is not secure, therefore an EMT would not be allowed to proceed with emergency medical assistance. When the bad guy has been checked by Law Enforcement, and handcuffed, then I would render assistance. Until then, I am standing back in a safe area waiting.

I would render aid to innocent bystanders that may have gotten hurt, if I felt it was safe to do so, but not to the gunman until Law Enforcement gave me the okay. Rules may vary from state to state, but according to the Illinois Department of Public Health, I should not attempt aid in an unsafe area.

Also, if the assailant has a firearm on or near him, Law Enforcement are the ones that are to disarm him, not EMT’s. You can totally ruin a crime scene by removing / moving firearms used in said crime. I know an EMT that did just that. A home intruder was shot by a home owner. EMT’s beat the Police to the scene. Upon entering the home, the bad guy was laying in the living room bleeding out. The EMT picked up a .357 revolver laying next to the bad guy and placed it on a shelf in the room. After hauling him to the hospital, Detectives proceeded with the investigation. They did not find the bad guys weapon, even though the home owner claimed he had one. Caused a real mess in the investigation until the EMT contacted the Police and explained what he did.

Nope, as far as I’m concerned, the bad guy will have to wait for my assistance.

Nanuk

One of the most common killers in America is Heart Attacks, yet I've seen no one mention carrying a small bottle of Nitro pills, those little suckers saved a heck of a lot of lives.

Are those not controlled? Wouldn't you need a prescription? Or would you be nailed for prescribing medication without a license etc? They say that at the onset of heart attack symptoms a simple aspirin increases survivability significantly.

punymidget

BSI Scene safe? No? I'd render aid to the victims of the attacker... but sorry to that attacker, I'm going to treat them last if at all, EMT's have to think of themselves first and foremost, then their team (or in this case, the other victims). Never put yourself in a position that you can be attacked or taken as a hostage, if you have someone crazed enough to attack you in the first place... who says they are not on say they wouldn't take you hostage right when you go and try and help them in order to beg for their freedom?

But on that note, I have a first aid kit in each of my cars in-case something happens, I rarely carry any of that with me on my person though, at the most some medical tape but thats it... really you can use that tape and do anything with it, shirt for a bandage or tourniquet (or tape for a tourniquet), SCW tape a CC, an ID, whatever with a flutter valve and presto you're done.

Nnobby45

Knock yourself out. Personally I seriously doubt I will be rendering assistance to anyone who just attacked me and was forced to shoot.

There are good reasons why approaching an individual who APPEARS to be incapacitated could be unwise. And why calling 911, in stead, as soon as you can would be best for your own physical safety. There'd also be a record of your attempt to get medical help as soon as possible.

Somewhere out there, I know there's a prosecutor who'd say, "Aha, he carried first aid for the person he planned in advance to shoot".

Perturbed Panda

Oh one is the loneliest number. Haha No I do appreciate hearing other people's thoughts on the subject. I'm glad to see that others have at least a kit in their vehicle.

ClydeFrog

Recent shooting incident/FD....

The recent news item about a "ambush" type fire & shooting reminded me of this posted topic. A large fire was started then some nutcase started shooting the fire fighters & first responders who came on scene. This was in rural NY state.
It just supports the posts that say to be alert & use caution in these incidents. Let EMTs & sworn LE officers deal with the scene ASAP. ;)

Clyde

Rainbow Demon

I once found a inflatable dingy on the side of the road. I threw it in the back of the truck.
Whever anyone asked why I had a liferaft in my truck I told them it was in case I ran off a bridge.

Heavy Metal 1

The bad guy brought his troubles upon himself. If he hadn't misbehaved he wouldn't need any aide. If he lives or dies it's in God's hands. Get to safety and call 911; the cops get paid to deal with these situations and they can shoot him again if required. Just because he's down doesn't mean he is out of the fight.

treg

If you are thinking of rendering help for a person with a GSW, study up on BSI Scene Safe first. Then incurable hepatitis, stds, community mrsa and other nasties from poor life choices. For a chest wound, think tension pneumothorax possibility, etc, etc.

And the impending lawsuit(s).