CCW and gun comes into sight by accident

therealdeal

1776/steve-
Everyone else reading this thread should no who's pro 2nd amendment running for office in there state/district and VOTE THEM IN!!

I'm in on that one- I will be checking that out sometime this week

ncpatriot

ProxPilot, be extremely careful about OC in NC. It is technically legal, but one can be charged with "going armed to the terror of the public". It is a foolish and subjective statute. You could walk through town all day long, speak to friends, help old ladies across the street, etc. with no problem. Someone comes along, sees a gun on your belt & freaks out, starts screaming "he's got a gun". Now you are charged because that person was "terrorized". My best understanding is that you are fairly safe on your own property, business or personal. People come onto your property at their own will, to do business. They have a choice not to. I use to see some OC with fishermen at the river, loaded with snakeshot no doubt. Hunters too, out hunting. Should be relativey safe there still. Ask local LEO's too, about circumstances there.

therealdeal

NC has always been tough on drivers too. SC jumps on board w/CCW. I know my buddies from NC have said make sure to tell the officer if you get pulled over with a loaded gun in the vehicle or on your person. When we drive to mass from virginia, every state that touches the atlantic ocean(and we drive thru) doesn't require you tell the LEO you have a CCW. When we go south both carolinas its the law. it usually doesn't come up on a traffic ticket, but you should always tell the LEO if its required.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

every state you click on says in red at top right if you must inform officer before you scroll down to read state's info.

ps-you can click on New York City, USA(for federal laws), puerto rico, marianna islands, quam, Virgin islands, Washington DC, you get the point - lots of good info(also has knife laws)

therealdeal

good point zespectre. I dont need to worry about mass ccw/oc laws when we visit the fam. lol! all my buddies are cops now which is another story in itself if you knew some of these guyz growing up. OC is legal there but not friendly like VA.

TheGoldenState

I am thinking about buying a .500 S&W- guy recommended the 8 3/8" barrel so thats what I'm thinking. I went w/the bigboy .44 henry rifle, so the .500 is on standbuy. I might go w/the model 629 too so as to share ammo w/the bigboy. If I get the .500, I might have to name that badboy

Get the .500, just get the 8 3/8', stay away from the 4'……..trust me lol:D

BTW someone OC a .500 would be just awesome as it gets!

brickeyee

It may just be me, but I find the term "sheeple" to be kinda dehumanizing.

It is intended to be.

Folks seem to have given up on any attempt to actually protect themselves from anything.

They behave like sheep and simply cruise through life blissfully unaware of possible dangers until they are occur.

Of course going to far the other way into paranoia is just as bad.

Sefner

I think the point about using the word "sheeple" is that it won't convince anyone... in fact it will probably just aggravate people and make them disagree with us more.

And I tend to agree. There is no reason to deride people that aren't as tuned into their surroundings or chose to defend themselves with a firearm. There is reason to educate them, but I think it might be a better course of action to hold the derision.

therealdeal

Get the .500

golden state warrior(joke/I like the team),

I'm paying the extra 50bucks for the converter too. I might go w/the 629 first though. I'd get the dirty harry model 29, but I like stainless steel. I prefer 6" and up unless its CCW like my 2" cia650, but I wouldn't want one too long. 8 3/8 will work but my 629 better @ 7 1/2".

its gonna be great when VA joins VT, AZ, and AK for auotmatic CCW allowed w/no permit. It doesn't effect me except in the fact our state will become safer

Dave85

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured.
Note that what, exactly, constitutes brandishing is not clearly defined in this wording, and brandishing is considered separately from pointing and holding. Also, the threshold of criminality is not knowing or willful action, merely behavior which can "reasonably induce fear in the mind of another." This suggests that, absent a separate statute that does define brandishing, a prosecutor so inclined could easily interpret the statute quoted here to include the negligent display of a firearm as a condition that could "reasonably" be expected to "induce fear in the mind of another."

Intent is introduced in paragraph B:
B. Any police officer in the performance of his duty, in making an arrest under the provisions of this section, shall not be civilly liable in damages for injuries or death resulting to the person being arrested if he had reason to believe that the person being arrested was pointing, holding, or brandishing such firearm or air or gas operated weapon, or object that was similar in appearance, with intent to induce fear in the mind of another.
However, here it is a blanket qualifier for pointing, holding and brandishing, and is present only for for indemnification of law enforcement personnel. As such, it does not clearly shed light on where excusable inadvertent flashing ends and criminally threatening brandishing begins.

I accept reports from other members who reside in your state that indicate flashing is not an issue there. In many parts of my state it will would be forgiven as well. However, there are a few notable and population-dense portions where it would be frowned upon with great vigor. I live in one such jurisdiction. I only mean to point out that statutes are not always clear, and their enforcement is subject to art as well as science. Quite often, it takes a test case before clear definitions are drawn. You don't want to be that test case.

I always like to know what is the worst the most unfriendly prosecutor can throw at me under the statute as written. For the most part, it is easy to stay clear of that threat, as it usually involves doing that which is smart and conscientious, anyway (i.e. keeping your concealed handgun concealed).

Last edited:

MLeake

"Sheeple" and other terms and assumptions...

... are not doing us pro-2A folk any favors, guys. Do you think that only pro-gun people read forums like this one?

For that matter, do you want to assume that all pro-gun people think the way you do?

Arguments based on stereotypes start off almost immediately losing ground in any debate, because: a) it's easy to accuse the person making the argument of stereotyping, rather than using considered thought; and b) dozens of arguments against that stereotype (whatever it may be) are almost guaranteed to exist, and easily be found at the first click on google.

Stereotypes may often be based in fact, but they can still be very dangerous; at the least they are often misleading.

I'm a pro-2A, retired Navy officer. For two decades, I was a registered Republican. I'm an NRA life member. My parents are fairly conservative. My mother's side of the family is Sicilian; my mom is 2nd generation American.

Knowing that, you'd probably make assumptions about my values and beliefs. Some of those assumptions would probably be spot on, but many would probably surprise you.

For instance, and without going into the reasons why I believe what I do:

I'm in favor of legalizing and regulating drugs.

I'm anti-death penalty.

Gay folk don't bother me, and I think Don't Ask Don't Tell and Defense of Marriage are both pointless, wasteful, and dehumanizing laws.

I think welfare reform should include steps to wean recipients off, while helping them find jobs; I don't think benefits should immediately be stripped.

I'm not a huge fan of the Patriot Act, although I do think portions of it are useful and necessary.

I can't stand Rush Limbaugh.

Note: because of trends over the last several election cycles for both parties to cater to the bases (and the basest, in many cases), I am now a registered independent.

Now, my intention here isn't to go all political, or to take the argument outside the intended limits of the thread or forum. My intention is to point out that assumptions can be dangerous; that name-calling is counter-productive; and that for some people, you have to sell your logic much more than you have to sell your passion.

Any idiot can stand in front of a camera and spout off, passionately, about any idiotic thing.

Being louder doesn't make you any more correct. (I don't mean PC, I mean logically and/or morally right.)

I can tell you this: as soon as somebody uses terms like "sheeple," I tend to start tuning them right out.

Regards,

M

brickeyee

There is no reason to deride people that aren't as tuned into their surroundings or chose to defend themselves with a firearm.

'Sheeple' does not make any call about HOW someone chooses to protect & defend themselves, just they they have chosen to be unaware of their surroundings and wiling to blindly follow.

I gave up a long time ago on trying to persuade anyone.

I have better things to do with my time.

Arguments based on stereotypes

Of course a comment based on observation and the reality of how many folks go about their lives is not a stereotype until it is applied to a particular person without evidence.

If they do not fit the class they are not members.

Don P

It may just be me, but I find the term "sheeple" to be kinda dehumanizing.

Perhaps general population would suit the reply better? Sheeple seemed to fit well.

...or cops, or just observant fellow citizens who are on the lookout for criminals or terrorists or other bogeymen.

Good points.

The Great Mahoo

No problems here in PA. I carry concealed, but usually don't fuss over it. If my CCW is spotted, I would just smile and wave. Open Carry is legal here, and no clause against printing or the like here in Penn's Woods.

Of course, I just try to ensure it doesn't happen in the first place, but don't get too caught up in it.

sigxder

too many variables to predict. It's different from state to state. Here if you have a ccw and you gun shows by accident you might get someone calling the police. Had it happen to me. Two Metro officers showed up. Asked me to step outside. Asked for my permit. Saw it, no problem. I was not breaking any law. Some of the stricter states I've heard they can charge you with brandishing a weapon. Best check your states laws. Be safe.