CCW: 1911, Stainless, under $1,000

skeeter

jlh2600- Shortly after buying the Detonics in Washington I moved to NYC. I found it almost impossible to register a pistol that was bought before i had a permit. It is so difficult to get a pistol permit in NYC , forget about registering a pistol you bought before you get a purchase authorization. It was way, way easier to just get the authorization and then buy another pistol which I did. Having stored it in mint condition all those years I did not want use it and not be able to have it in new condition plus I had the new compact 45 to shoot.

Now i want to buy another gun related toy and figure it is a good time to sell the Detonics without getting the wife all bent out of shape spending more money on new gun toys.
This detonics was only test fired at the factory with the owner/founder of Detonics, Sid Woodcock. He brought down a bucket of 45's, about 150 rounds that I fired with great accuracy and 100% reliability. If there were any problems I would not have left the factory with it nor would Sid have allowed that. I hate selling it- it is a beautiful, hand fitted machine. No MIM parts or plastics triggers like in the Colts or Kimbers. Nothing is close to as good as this early Detonics for the price of $825.
I believe even the Dan Wesson CBOB uses some MIM parts.

Officer's Match

Used to have a Kimber pro carry in stainless. Wish I still did!

I've been looking at a used Ultra Carry II that is at a local store. Since this store has an indoor range, I'm gonna' try her out soon.

jlh26oo

jlh2600- Shortly after buying the Detonics in Washington I moved to NYC. I found it almost impossible to register a pistol that was bought before i had a permit. It is so difficult to get a pistol permit in NYC , forget about registering a pistol you bought before you get a purchase authorization. It was way, way easier to just get the authorization and then buy another pistol which I did. Having stored it in mint condition all those years I did not want use it and not be able to have it in new condition plus I had the new compact 45 to shoot.

Don't you love red tape? Shame, but least you found another one. Heard good things about them, just don'[t see alot of them.

michael t

Colt LW Commander -mines in its UBG holster as I type this. Best gun and holster for the money . I have the LW and Stainless I carry the LW more.

tegemu

I'd recommend two pistols to you. The Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander and the Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. I have and love both. I have other 1911's but these are my favorites. The Commander sized pistol works out ideally for me for balance, concealibility and shootability.

waynedm

I keep seeing the CBOB brought up. How many of you guys own them? The things are incredibly tight! If you handled one next to a Kobra Carry I don't think I could tell the difference other than the obvious differences like the outside finish of the Brown vs stainless Wesson. Also, the 20 LPI on the front strap feels like the gun's glued to your hand.

MikefromNC

Took a leap and bought one of the Sig 1911's late last year. Must say I am tickled to death with it. For @ $1000, You get a whole lot of top notch features found in custom jobs costing a lot more. I bought the "GSR carry" with the full size frame/4.25" bbl. No hiccups whatsoever so far, with all kinds of ammo through it. They make one with a compact frame that would be awesome as a carry gun, and that "nitron" finish looks SHARP!
I have many friends who carry a Kimber compact/ultra comp that swear by them as well.
LOTS of choices out there, as you are well aware. Handle 'em, rent and shoot 'em if you have it available. Best way to tell if YOU like it or not.

mini14jac

Another vote for S&W 1911s.

Their Scandium guns in Commander-size are accurate and reliable out of the box.
Light weight makes them easier to carry than steel guns.
Neither of mine needed a break-in period to be reliable, and they have a lifetime warranty.

(If you need repairs, S&W sends a prepaid shipping label.) :D

Depending on what part of the country you live in, a new should cost ~$800.