CCW: 1911, Stainless, under $1,000

Driveout02

Basically looking for what it says in the title. A small, stainless 1911 that won't break the bank. Also, I hear so much about break-in periods: sometimes over 1000 rounds! I don't buy this. Is there any user-friendly, reliable out of the box stainless 1911 out there that fits this bill? Thanks in advance!
~Jake.
p.s. Something w/ a decent resale value would be nice, too!

blume357

the problem I have with your question is:

"small / 1911" the two really don't go together. I presume there might be some out there... but.

For standard 1911 I'd go with a Springfield government model in SS. I've got one and it functions great.

the break in thing is more for trigger pull and target shooting... you can pay a smith to smooth out the sear and such to get around the 3-500 rounds thing.

waynedm

How small you want? Something like a Dan Wesson Bobtail or like smaller like a Para Slimhog or something?

packa45

I personally don't like any 1911 smaller than an officer's model but I've heard some owners that don't complain when they've tried smaller. I have a Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact that is stainless and was a few hundred under your price range. It's my favorite semi-auto and everyone that shoots it turns green with envy.

SamC

Colt XSE LW Commander or Colt XSE SS Commander. The first has an alloy frame/SS slide. The second is all SS. GREAT CCW handguns. I've got the LW and it's a keeper.

MikeRussell

I used to carry a ParaOrd P13 Alloy (this was in the mid 90's before the PXT & LDA stuff came out). It's a 13 round double stack Commander sized 1911. I like the Commander sized pistols for carry, they're a good fit for me.

Now, after getting Dan Wesson Pointman 7, if I were to choose another 1911 for strictly carry, it would be the DW CBOB.

shaggycat

I am not a big fan of shortened 1911s. The problem with reliability and the "break-in period" excuse is one that occurs because so many have messed with the original design.

If you want a no break-in, reliable shooter and don't want to take any chances, get a 1911 made the way JMB wanted it to be. If you want a small, lightweight carry weapon, buy a Kahr, XDc, or some other compact.

If you buy a gun that has messed with the design, don't ecpect historical 1911 reliability.

PeterGunn

The 1911 is actually one of the more concealable semi-autos available. The reason for this is that girth plays more of a role in concealing a pistol than length or height.

I would suggest that you do some research to figure out which 1911/holster/wardrobe combination suits you best. I personally love my S&W 1911 and find that it conceals well either in a Fobus paddle or Galco Miami Classic or Summer Special IWB.

I just picked up a SA Ultra-Compact (equal to the Colt officers albeit a better platform) that shoots well and obviously is not only skinny, but also is shorter in length and height. The days of the compact 1911s not being as reliable are fading thanks to the efforts of Kimber, Colt, and Springfield Armory.

Blessings,

skeeter

Driveout02 - I sent you photos of the Detonics stainless 45 Combat Master I am selling. It is in new condition and much better built than any 45 on the market except Wilson types. No cheap MIM parts like in Kimbers and MIM/plastic as in Colts.For $825 with box, papers, extra mag/parts you will not find a better value.

stephen426

You should really check out STI. They claim that their guns are not "custom" guns, but they are put together better than many "custom shop" guns from the big manufacturers. I have the Edge and it is the most popular gun for IPSC. The carry models are super reliable and incredible to shoot. Better yet, their prices are actually reasonable, especially for the quality of gun they produce.

Driveout02

STI/Sig

Man, the STI and Sig are both beautiful. Those are really great suggestions.
I am wondering what the list price is on the STI though. I don't know much about Sig's 1911s either, but this one is pretty!!
~Jake.

AngusPodgorney

STI also has the new Spartan in $600 range. It's basically a Trojan with the slide and frame cast at Twin Pines in the Philippines, STI internals, assembled in the Philippines and re-imported for sale here.

rellascout

+1 to the Dan Wesson CBOB.

main066.png

The Commander Classic Bobtail is a 4.25” series 70 style, commander sized 1911 featuring a stainless steel frame and forged stainless steel slide. Like all Dan Wesson 1911s, Commander models incorporate top quality parts from the best names in the industry.

· Round top slide with fixed 3 dot tritium night sights
· Forged, one piece match grade barrel and bushing.
· Ed Brown Bobtail mainspring housing
· 20 LPI checkered front strap
· Hand polished flat surfaces with contrasting bead blasted rounds
· Beveled magwell
· All sharp edges dehorned by hand
· Lowered and flared ejection port
· Ed Brown memory groove grip safety
· Ed Brown slide stop
· Tactical, extended thumb safety
· Commander style match hammer
· Match grade sear
· Aluminum trigger with stainless bow