casing damage after firing .45 ACP

James K

Member In Memoriam
My question was based on the fact that when the case hits the ejector, it is tilted upward and its mouth can contact the inside of the slide, possibly causing a nick like that. But if there is nothing to cause the nick, then that is not the problem.

Jim

I think I see what you are getting at. That should not happen unless the extractor lets go of the case and ceases pulling it back together with the slide. The ejection port has to be cut long enough to eject a live round, so the case mouth should be well short of the front edge of the slide cutout when the ejector flips it clear.

The video I linked to shows that pretty clearly with a 9 mm when you get near the end and the frame rate is high. It also shows how cases flip around and strike the slide near the extractor with the case mouth.

Hunter Customs

Look at the barrel hood, if it has sharp corners on it you might want to break the sharp edge of the corners with a small radius.

Also look at the extractor rebate of the brass, if it has gouges in it the extractor needs some work done to it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

passtime

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that during ejection the spent casings had a tendency to fly all over the place. My face, shirt pocket even 4 ft. to the left. I called Ruger yesterday and when I explained that to them they told me to send it in. So it is now in transit. I will keep everyone posted on the results. Thing is other than the ejection problems this firearm has been fantastic. I have about 1200 rounds through it and it has smoothed out into a very reliable, accurate and smooth cycling handgun. I hope any changes they make do not change this fact. Thanks again for all the help.

passtime

I got the SR45 back Tuesday. New barrel and new slide. Looks like another break in period. Fired 10 Federal Champion FMJ's through it. No issues. They all landed to the right none in the face or over my head and fairly close together. So far no nicks in the brass. Tonight I will be starting from scratch to work up some loads for it and see how things go. I will post on how it works out. Thanks again for all the information.