Case stuck in chamber after hd separation

1stmar

Cw308 I'm traveling so will probably call utg tomorrow if I get a moment. I'm pretty diligent about cleaning guns, especially guns that are shooters which this is. I only had 14 rds through it since my last cleaning. Will definetly update the post after I talk w utg.

Thanks all

James K

Member In Memoriam
You don't need to close the bolt, if the "fingers" spring into place ahead of the case mouth, you need only insert a cleaning rod from the muzzle and tap the case out.

Jim

1stmar

Thanks Jim. I don't think the fingers/sleeve is riding up far enough over the "bulb" and expanding. I am able to close the bolt enough to engage the extractor and when I pull the bolt back it only ejects the tool.

cw308

1stmar
It seems like they sent you a 308 is the tool labeled 30-06. When you get the right extractor the case will come out just as easy as pulling the bolt back with a fired case. Even though you didn't get the extractor from Brownells give then a call . The UTG extractor may have problems with the tool. The one I got from Brownells worked perfectly everytime someone used it. I keep it in my range bag. If I had different calibers I would buy one for everyone. You wouldn't want to go through this again.

1stmar

The bag indicated it was an 06. I don't know if the tool is marked. I did place it along side an 06 case and it is similar length.

cw308

1stmar
Can it be adjusted further out , seem like its not getting past the case mouth. You are triming your brass. I'm sure you are , just have to ask. A long case would cause pressure problems.
I called Brownells on your problem. They will have the right extractor, speak to a tech.

Last edited:

RC20

I've linked a well-respected online resource backing up my comments. Please do the same.

If you can measure .0015 more power to you.

Not all use Lapua by close to any stretch (pun intended)

I did state that bench rest types that are serious shooters will have some resistance.

I just don't agree that its worth for the average casual bench rest shooter, you won't see a return of any kind and you will struggle mightily.

1stmar

Ok. I think I'm taking it to a smith. Nothing on the shell extractor says it an 06 but I think it is. I cut a case and it looks like it is the right size. I believe the issue is the collet sleeve was not expanding and catching the case mouth. So i cut a piece of plastic and used it as a spacer to add some length and ensure I could get the case extractor into the case and past the case mouth. It seemed to work. I tapped it into the case with a cleaning rod so it was all the way in the chamber. Then put the bolt in and closed it. I was unable to pull the bolt handle back. So I think it was securely past the case mouth. I put a cleaning rod in the muzzle end and proceeded to tap it out. The case is till in the chamber. I dropped some oil into the chamber and repeated a few times with no luck. I think the utg shell extractor is not designed well but the spacer I put in was effective. Not wishing to do any damage I think I will let a pro handle it. I'm wondering if I didn't really have complete case separation but rather the case got stuck somehow and when I opened the bolt I ripped off the head.

cw308

If you have a GS they will get it out safely. Did you have any problems with hard extractions before?

1stmar

No. I dble weigh every charge and bullet impact was the same as the previous 13 shots. Very tight. Nothing about the shot felt abnormal. Recoil, bullet placement, bolt lift. Odd ...

cw308

1stmar
What a bummer, everything going good and this happens. Sounds like a bad case. Do you mix case brands or keep a record on how many times its resized.? I'm a bench rest shooter, I'll shoot the same 30 rounds, when one shows any sigh of over use . I Dump them all & start with another 30. If I reach 25 firings I'll start with another 30 new cases. Get yourself a better stuck case extractor , just to be safe & piece of mine. They do work well. You are measuring case length each time I hope. Sorry I couldn't help.

Chris

1stmar

Very reluctant to stick a file in the chamber. Really don't trust myself, don't have a good bench vise. Cw308 you've been very helpful as have others. I have a good local gsmith so should be ok. I didn't see an 06 extractor other than the one I found.
I do not mix headstamps. I don't count firings either. I need to start. The reason I don't is sometimes I go to the range with 40rds and Fire some odd number maybe 35 or 17 for example. Now I have a mix and it becomes a pain. But something I need to address.

cw308

1stmar
Let us know when you get that case out. Give Brownells a call for another extractor, I gave them a call about your problem. They have a stuck case extractor, speak to a teck. Don't attempt to use a file on your shooter.

Chris

1stmar

I haven't, its at my lgs. Since he has it, I am having some other work done. I am converting it to a dbm and having a tactical bolt knob installed. I dropped it off sat and he wasn't there so I have to follow up this week on the lead time. Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it's not. :).

cw308

1stmar
Sounds good , make sure the new bolt knob lift clears the scope. You left the scope on . Find out what tool he used to remove the case. You went the right route getting it to your gunsmith. Its like getting a new toy when you get it back.

1stmar

Didn't leave the scope on as I figured he will have to r move it to put the dbm in. I'll speak to him and bring it back up. Thanks for the heads up

1stmar

Gun is finished picking it up next week. G/s couldn't get the case out without taking the barrel off. Polished the chamber after he got it out. Will know more next week.