Case stuck in chamber after hd separation

1stmar

I had a case separate and I can't get it out from the chamber. Tried cleaning rod and chamber brush. Any recommendations? Rifle is long since cooled down.

Thx

ThomasT

If you are careful you can use a large round file and insert it into the case and it should grip the case wall and allow you to remove the stuck case.

cw308

Yes, there is a case removal tool I keep in my range bag for that reason. Can get it at MidwayUSA You feed it in like a case it grabs the edge & out it comes. Don't be jamming anything into your chamberlain .

Last edited:

Howard31

Stuck case removal

I have used a test tube or small bottle brush . Insert from the chamber end far enough so 1/2 the bristles face rearward and pull out . It works like a charm and won't hurt the barrel or chamber .

cw308

Its a broken case extractor Brownells has them for $ 20. Only way to go, don't take the chance to put a ding in your chamber. Once I saw a head rip off in a chamber at the range someone had the tool , fed it in by the bolt, pulled the bolt out & out came the shell. That easy. I ordered one the next day, I keep it in my bag. I never had to use it on my rifle, but have let other people use it , only works for the specific caliber.

44 AMP

Staff
The Broken shell extractor has been part of every armorer's kit since 45-70 days, if not earlier. Usually in the machine gun tool set, too.

They are caliber specific, but not cartridge specific.

.22 won't work in a .30 bore, and .30 won't FIT in a .22 bore, etc.

.30 cal will pull ruptures from .308, .30-06, .303Brit, 7.62 (39 & 54R) MIGHT work on 8mm mauser.

You CAN use a coarse thread screw or a tap, and cut into the fired case, then drive it out, BUT, if you cut through the brass, you're cutting your chamber wall, and that's generally not a good thing.

Since you're not in a firefight, and don't need to clear the MG before the next human wave attack, its foolish to do anything but take the time to get one of the extractors and use it, or take the gun to a professional smith.

1stmar

30-06. Upon further look the broken shell extractors appear to be cartridge specific not caliber specific. before I posted this I searched older threads to see if I could find answers and while I didn't see anyone reference these tools, I did see a post from someone who had the same problem. They mentioned that after the shell was removed, "the chamber was not scored". How probable/likely is it that my chamber may be scored. Rifle is stainless steel, barrel is a Hart so good quality.

Last edited:

RC20

And of more concern (this if solvable)

What caused the case head to separate?

That is seriously dangerous, reloads, factory?

No sure answer on the chamber as it depends on how it broke off.

As the gun did not blow up it may not be a violent enough one to have done so.

But again that is the lower order issue, what cause the separation?

1stmar

Pretty sure too many loads on that brass. I checked the other rounds I fired and didn't see/feel and signs of separation. I don't have excessive headspace, only push the shoulder back .003 and my load is mild. 47gr of 4064

T. O'Heir

A solid brass rod and a plastic mallet will work. Rifle in padded vise first.
"...MIGHT work on 8mm Mauser..." Will case diameter is the same as a .30-06. $10 from Brownell's.

joeb

Get the BSE and don't look back. I shoot a lot of reloads in my cetme's, and sometimes it's not always nato brass. Low quality or over used brass can separate at the most inconvenient times making the .308 BSE worth keeping handy. I carry them in my other calibers also because it's far better to have it and not need it than.........
It could've been a fluke, but I agree with researching the cause.

RC20

Pretty sure too many loads on that brass. I checked the other rounds I fired and didn't see/feel and signs of separation. I don't have excessive headspace, only push the shoulder back .003 and my load is mild. 47gr of 4064

Darned interesting, if you aren't doing it right then I don't know right.

Any idea how many reloads on the brass?

I have had them part separate with no indications it was occurring, even in the cases that had a part split you could feel no ridge.

I never got a complete separation though.

Don Fischer

That was a good you tube video! Never have had one but I look for it all the time. Ring start's at all and I throw the case away. Had to many case's start up that I caught before they seperated shooting a 7mm Rem Mag years ago. Had one start, just showed the ring starting on a 6.5x55 case last winter, threw it and the rest of the case's away. Can't remember the brand of case it was but they had only beer reloaded a couple time's, I got them as new. It wasn't an American made case.