Case Cleaning

g.willikers

So, pass along the solution you use to soak your brass.

If the brass is just to be cleaned, it merely gets rinsed to remove the dirt and powder, then soaked in hot water with a lemon aided dish washing soap.
The added lemon (or what ever passes for it) adds quite a bit of shine without discoloring the brass like vinegar sometimes can.

If the brass needs to be more shiny than that, then it goes into a mesh bag and is tossed into the washing machine, with the same dishwashing soap, along with range clothes, car washing towels and such.
Just have to make sure the lady who lives here too has removed all her delicate undies from the washer.

The brass comes out pretty good.
Poor man's tumbling but without the hassle.
This method might not suit some folks, especially the more particular reloaders among us.
Or someone who is doing it commercially.
But for me it's plenty good enough.
Since, it was all so little effort, losing brass is no big deal.
And then I get to spend lots more time shooting the stuff instead of making it.

Last edited:

Bucksnort1

g. willikers, thanks. If my wife should catch me cleaning brass in the washing machine, I might as well move out of the house and set up a permanent residence at my favorite shooting range. Say, wait a minute, maybe I have something there.

Ole Joe Clark

I just use citric acid in water with a small amount of Dawn dish washing liquid. I don't use hot water, I just soak the hulls about 20 minutes then rinse. Then I spread them on a cookie sheet in front of an AC vent to dry.

I used to wash Win AA shotgun hulls in the washing machine, in a laundry bag, then tumble dry them in the dryer, with the blessing of Upper Management. :)

g.willikers

Har, can't imagine the racket of drying cases in the dryer.
That would be pushing things too far around here.
Have to remember to do an extra rise in the washing machine after removing the brass - or else. :eek: