Cartridge/Chambering vs Caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALPhil

Doug S wrote: ...(and that we can get over ourselves long enough to enjoy a casual, in-house chat about something as simple and enjoyable as our favorite gun and ammo choice for hunting season), and to be honest, I'm really kinda sorry I gave the argument any kind of credibility by even responding.

OkieCruffler wrote: Perhaps we weren't potty trained as quickly as others.

Gentlemen, remove the chips from your shoulders. I made no attempt to insult you, and I do not appreciate what borders on ad hominem. Having a casual, in house conversation about correct use of terminology is every bit as valuable as a discussion about gun and ammo choice for hunting season.

That being said, it is probably time to ask the mods to lock this thread down, since it is obviously causing an emotional reaction among some of the members.

I apologize; it was not my intent to irritate anyone.

Cheapshooter

Maybe if we go back to the post in the other thread that started the whole discusdion It would be better understood.
Only calibers I've ever used for deer hunting are 30-06 and .243 but this year I'm trying out the .308.
Can anybody honestly say that they don't understand what was meant? Or that the poster didn't know the two chamberings were different cartridges of te same caliber?
No, he just used common language for two centerfire cartridges that has been in use since the invention of self contained cartridges.

RJay

I read all of the above posts and said to myself " Self, much ado about nutten " . So to end the day, I will go pour two fingers of Black Jack Daniels over some ice, a little branch water and see if that gets rid of the headache that came on while reading the above :cool:

FrankenMauser

As long as everyone is arguing....
I'd like to point out that several foreign cartridges are being described as having .310 bores, when that is not the case (in more ways than one).

7.62x54R, .303 British, 7.7x58mm, etc. have .300-.304" bore diameters and .3105" to .312" nominal groove diameters. In most cases, the allowable groove diameter was .309" to .314", during manufacture; and the bore diameter was .300-.306". (And some designs/countries/cartridges had tighter tolerances than others.)

Doug S

Quote:
Doug S wrote: ...(and that we can get over ourselves long enough to enjoy a casual, in-house chat about something as simple and enjoyable as our favorite gun and ammo choice for hunting season), and to be honest, I'm really kinda sorry I gave the argument any kind of credibility by even responding.

Quote:
OkieCruffler wrote: Perhaps we weren't potty trained as quickly as others.

FALPhil said, Gentlemen, remove the chips from your shoulders. I made no attempt to insult you, and I do not appreciate what borders on ad hominem. Having a casual, in house conversation about correct use of terminology is every bit as valuable as a discussion about gun and ammo choice for hunting season.

That being said, it is probably time to ask the mods to lock this thread down, since it is obviously causing an emotional reaction among some of the members.

I apologize; it was not my intent to irritate anyone.

I think I just figured out what I disliked most about your earlier comments...as you continue to argue semantics while ignoring context. Seems like a contradiction of sorts. Interesting, but seriously I mean no offense to you. Just having a little fun since you sound like such a stickler.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.