Carrying

Some guns can be much hotter to handle then others when left to bake in a car all day. Plastic or polymer grips just soak up the heat. In a vehicle at 110 degrees in Phoenix......ouch!:eek:

That's why I switched from Glock to my Sig for vehicle carry; its got after-market Hogue rubber grips on it. Wooden grips would be much better as well.

Onward Allusion

So, would it be safe to leave a loaded gun in my car until I leave? Any problems with powder deterioration?

Your ammo will be fine. If worried, rotate it out and shoot the rotated cartridges at the range. Also, keep the gun/ammo in the trunk. Your trunk is a lot cooler than the passenger compartment due to the lack of direct sunlight.

Check local/state laws, tho.

mete

Koda , air temperature 70 F, white car in sunlight , measured trunk temperature 150F !! It doesn't take much ! Keep ammo in a cooler.

zoomie

chris in va said:
Ouch. Terrible advice man.
He didn't ask me for legal advice man.
thumbsup.gif

jeager106

Wonder what the employer says about a firearm on the grounds?
I worked for General Motors after retiring from police work & having a firearm on the grounds was cause for dismissal.
2 union workers had hunting rifles in thier truck, ready to leave for a hunt after work.
Someone told security & they had the guys unlock the truck, found the rifles,
confiscated them, the 2 were fired.
Of course the U.A.W. got them rehired but they were off work for
months waiting to get reinstated & get the rifles back.
Check work related rules as well as local & state laws please.

Dave Chuppa

All our police cars had loaded shotguns in the passenger area year round. We never had a problem that I am aware of. The only guy that had a small problem was the K Nine officer. His Shotgun was always full of dog hair.