Carrying while bikepacking

bamaranger

bikes

I have on occassion stowed my 2" .38spl Chief in a behind the seat pouch that has two levels, split by a pair of horizontal zippers. Intended for tubes and inflation cartridges, the .38 fits in one, along eith my wallet, and I still can carry gear for flats. I think I bought the dang thing at Walmart. I may try and post a pic.

What's attractive is that the pouch is attached to the seat post by a bracket and a velcro strap and plastic two prong snap like on the kid snap of a grocery cart. If I leave the bike, the pouch comes off easily by stripping the velcro strap loose and unsnapping. You can then carry the pouch by it's funny little handle. I feel a bit wimpy with my dainty "man bag", but it's small, convenient and serves the purpose.

Besides, once I appeared in public in spandex bike shorts, I was beyond embarrassment.:eek:

ghbucky

Thanks bamaranger. The seat bag isn't an option on my bikepacking rig, since I have a much larger seat bag back there that holds my sleeping clothing, ground pad and bag.

Besides, that is not nearly accesible enough afaic.

After a while, the spandex embarassment wears off. :)

gbclarkson

Update...

I would highly recommend that you avoid a bicycle mounted holster pack. Any event that requires you to unholster is also an event likely to detach you from your bike. I carry a Ruger .22 Lite Rack in a 5.11 Tactical fanny pack when I cycle; I used to carry an LCR in the same pack. It's a comfortable waist pack but I don't think that it would hold anything much larger than the LCR.

I have experienced one scenario that required me to think about my cycling pistol. A stray dog came out of nowhere and I ran into the stupid thing and flew over my handle bars and into the street.

Cycling today on the dedicated public cycling path between neighboring small towns. I have relegated myself to this boring path after the bike v. stray dog collision last summer. Cycling along today, there is a deer about 50 yards ahead on the path that is not fleeing like they usually do. So I unclip and stop. But... it's not a deer. It's a large dog. And, it starts running in my direction. Friend or foe, didn't want to find out so I unzipped the pack, pulled the Ruger and fired a round into the ditch. Fortunately, it ran off. LEASH! YOUR! DOGS! Venting now.

ghbucky

I've been quite fortunate in that I've had very few doggie interactions. Worst was a case of saying 'where does this road go?' and finding that it ends at a lonely section of the road with a very large dog that considered the road his turf. No discussion to be had.

I backed away from him with the bike between us and he let off when I got far enough away.

ChuteTheMall

Over a century ago this problem was solved with what they called Bicycle Guns.
The closest modern option is a NAA Mini revolver, in your choice of .22LR, .22Magnum, or better still, the convertible version with both cylinders. It'll fit wherever you carry your wallet or multitool, even in an eyeglass case clipped into your rear jersey pocket
Google velo-dog to see what velocipede riders used against menacing dogs at the turn of the century before last.