Carrying a Revolver While Hiking with a Pack

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
It seems like any jerks you'll encounter are all at the trailheads or front country. Once you get backcountry, somewhere it takes effort to reach, the people you meet are all pretty cool. Maybe jerks and laziness go together? I've hiked part of the AT through the Smokies, and while no trouble, there were a few jerks. I think the AT there has too many access points. I've also hiked the Thunder River, Deer Creek, N. Bass, and other trails at Grand Canyon, along with the Escalante Wilderness in Utah, (those are some serious backpacking!) and everyone I met there was great!

JTMcC

I've always used a cross draw holster attached directly to the belt on my old North Face internal frame.
I carried a full size 1911 for years and now a officers size 1911. Since this is the revolver forum I'll add that on occasion I've carried a Python snub nose and an old .357 Blackhawk with the pack, in the same fashion only strong side as I dont have a cross draw holster for either gun. Because of the design of the pack/belt the holster has to ride toward the front. that's no problem with the short Python but the longer barrel of the Ruger kind of bangs at my leg. I think with a cross draw holster a long barrel would ride fine.

JTMcC

Leif

Hayley, your points about not carrying on the AT are well-taken. My only real reason for carrying is for the extremely rare bear that poses a direct and imminent threat, like a mother with cubs that decides not to back down. I doubt that I'll carry much on the AT itself, and definitely not in NJ, but I'd like to broaden my hiking to areas outside of the AT, to more remote areas in PA, etc., where carrying shouldn't present any social problem and where the bear issue is somewhat greater because of the remoteness of those areas (i.e., help is a long way off). I wouldn't carry in MD, for example, because there is no bear issue there. And naturally, I wouldn't carry where prohibited, which is most of the mid-Atlantic sections of the AT as far as I can tell.

Good point, though. And good luck with your hike! Be careful with NJ ... lots o'rock, just like 'Rocksylvania.' Makes for lots of twisted ankles.

Striker

Leif wrote:

I wouldn't carry in MD, for example, because there is no bear issue there.

Leif, saw something from the AP you might be interested in!:)

OAKLAND, Md. (AP) - The first black bear of Maryland's 2005 season has been tagged. And the successful hunter is an eight-year-old girl.

The Department of Natural Resources says Garrett County resident Sierra Stiles downed the 211 pound adult male with two rifle shots at about 7:30 am.

DNR Wildlife and Heritage Director Paul Peditto says she killed the animal on a family farm near Kitzmiller.

State wildlife managers have set a quota of 40 to 55 bears for the hunt, which runs through Saturday.

NW MountainMan

I carry my 7.5 inch stainless Redhawk 44 mag in a Bianchi holster treaded through the hip strap on my Kelty backback. Wife carries her model 66 S&W the same way. I have found there is no "perfect" spot for it to ride but if its needed I want to be able to get to it fast without fumbling around.

John Limbach

"azredhawk44,
How do you like your Redhawk? I'm thinking about one with a 5.5" barrel in .45 Colt."

I have a custom Redhawk .44mag with 5 3/4" barrel (long story) that I absolutely love.

For packing here in grizzly country, I use a cross draw shoulder rig.

John