Carrying a Revolver While Hiking with a Pack

Leif

So, as a result of my previous thread about whether or not I should shorten my GP-100 or get a new revolver, I have the following question:

How do those of you who hike with a pack open-carry a revolver? I'm talking about any make of pack, ALICE, commercial, internal frame, external frame, etc., and any size revolver, ranging from NAA Minis to Super Redhawks. What holster arrangement works, or doesn't work for you and why?

Please note, I'm talking about hiking trips over multiple days that require you to take something larger than a daypack and your favorite 'batbelt'. I'm not talking about car camping or dayhiking. I'm also talking about open-carry only, not sticking the gun in your pack (I'm going to ignore the issue of whether the Safepacker is open or concealed carry for the moment).

Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

PS - I should have included this when I originally posted - please specify the types of pack, holster, and revolver that you are using. Thanks!

Last edited:

azredhawk44

With my "smaller" back country guns when backpacking:
Ruger sp101 3" .357
Glock 21 in .400 corbon

I put the holster under my right armpit attached to the shoulder strap. This gives me an open carry cross-draw that allows the backpack hip belt to not rub against anything. (I'm left handed)

When in areas that require my 5.5" redhawk:

Strong-side hip holster, slung as low as reasonably possible so it doesn't interfere with the backpack hip belt.

Last edited:

hkg3

I don’t hike much anymore, but I would probably carry it across my chest so it doesn’t interfere with the backpack.

Lucky 7

I open carry an M16, 203 or SAW and A LOT of ammo when I hike...oh, on my off time, I wear a bush jacket and a shoulder rig that make a 4" 686 disapper on my lil behind (think broad shoulders, tiny waist and only 5'8").
I "civie" hump w/ my issue MOLLE (yes we still have them and some SNCOs wear their ALICE packs we pride and discomfort) and its even comfy w/ the wide straps.
Semper Fi!
-L7

guntotin_fool

on my pack, the hip belt is separate from the hip pads and is held to the hip pads with oversized belt loops, with care i was able to thread a uncle mikes flap holster onto the belt and get that to work. a good friend of mine uses a bianchi cross chest holster tied to his shoulder strap to carry his 629.

Leif

LOL, Lucky 7. I started reading your post and was thinking "Why in the world would anybody hike with that?" Oh yeah - that type of hiking. :) I usually use commercial packs (Keltys), but I've tried the ALICE and that ridiculously small kidney pad is just brutal after awhile. Of course, being a civilian I probably didn't load it correctly or wear it properly.

azredhawk44, how does your 'big rig' work? How are you slinging the hip holster low enough to not interfere with the hip pad? I'm thinking that slinging it so low might make it fairly uncomfortable, not to mention dragging your pants down quite a bit. Please bear with me - I'm not too holster-savvy.

Anyway, everybody keep it coming. Sounds like attaching the holster directly to the pack seems to be a popular choice. Thanks again!

Lucky 7

Leif where do u go hikin at in DE isnt it like 4streets across and 8 long? lol j/k
PAcking the ALICE involves a trick or two...hard to explain easier to show. re: the kidney pads...um i dont know what ur talking about. we didnt have those in boot, just the isomat as (very) lil cushion so pain was the name of that DI game.
Semper Fi!
-L7

Leif

Hardy-har, Lucky 7, 4x8, I liked that. Size doesn't matter, it's all about how many chemical plants and credit card agencies you can support. :) No, I don't do anything more than day hiking in Delaware. Most of my hiking has been in adjacent regions - VA, MD, PA, NJ, etc. Some of these places are OK with open carry, some are not, so if not, then I don't take "my little friend" along (I realize that there is a whole issue/debate with all of this - suffice to say there will be no lawbreaking on my part).

I had a bit of a scare a few years ago when doing a hike in northern NJ along the AT - a mother bear and her cubs popped out of some waist high bushes about 15-20 feet from me; somehow we all just sort of stumbled into each other. Fortunately, they took off in the opposite direction faster than I could wet myself, but I couldn't help feeling a little anxious thinking, "OK, I guess I could try the corkscrew on my pocketknife, that might hurt a little." :eek:

Not wanting to turn this into a bear gun thread ... just my little story.

And hey, at least we're bigger than Rhode Island! (Of course, they still have more people ...)

azredhawk44

I have a Hunter brand holster for my redhawk that attaches to a utility gun belt I wear.

The pack goes on first and the pack belt is buckled loosely. I then put on the gun belt so that the right side is "inside" in between the pack and my body and the left side (I'm a leftie) is "outside" of the pack belt. This gives a situation similar to the old western dual-belt situation where both belts criss-cross each other and hang low. Then I tighten the belts to where they are comfortable.

The result is the gun belt hangs on me comfortably at a slant about 30 degrees from right to left. It puts the butt of the gun a little bit below my pants pocket, and the left hip belt of the pack right near my kidney. I then can draw easily.

I'm toying with the idea of a cowboy style belt for the redhawk minus any cartridge loops. The cowboy belts, if you look closely, have a dedicated loop for the holster to attach so it doesn't shift around, and the holster hangs below the level of the belt. Same effect, less hassle.

seb5

Several packs are able to mount a holster directly on the belt. To me that's a standard place to carry a hand gun. I use Kifaru packs and a modular holster for my revolvers that mounts directly yo the hip belt. If I am just carrying a "J" for 2 legged types I'll sometimes put it in a small pouch mounted directly to the chest strap.

biere

For those who carry a semi-auto handgun and want the gun to still be on you when you remove your backpack, the tactical drop leg holsters may be worth considering.

They are made of materials that can handle bad weather and what not but they are a bit low if you get into a creek crossing or something. I say they are low and that is just me comparing them to other methods others have offered already. I personally consider the height acceptable but wonder what folks would think if you had a tactical drop leg holster for a revolver.

I like the mention of the cowboy belt since it should be a similar height to the drop leg holster and more revolver friendly.

Edward429451

biere is right, the drop leg holsters work good for carrying a pack. I use a tactical thigh rig for my 45 or a cowboy rig for the Redhawk depending on the situational.

Sometimes I have to adjust the amount of cartridges in the loops on the tactical cowboy rig ;.) but also found that a double speedloader pouch fits well on the front of it before buckling it, so thats no biggie.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I still use an old Kelty with an external frame, and as everybody who's ever hiked more than a few miles knows, the comfort and fit of the pack is priority one. A slight discomfort when you first shoulder the pack will mean pure misery about 10 miles later. That's why I don't want anything attached to the belt or straps. If I'm hiking an area where I don't anticipate an immediate need, I usually dedicate a left side pocket of the pack for a snubbie, and drawing it is akin to drawing from a shoulder holster, but reaching back a little further. I have long arms, so it works for me :D .

Leif

Thanks everybody for your input. Looks like I have some experimenting to do ... Much appreciated! :)

Hayley

(I know this skirts your original simple question, but I just wanted to contribute a couple of relevant thoughts, hiker to hiker. And this has to do with the hiking area you indicate--not Grizzley country)

Leif: I'm hiking the AT in sections. I've done most of NH, and everything from GA to around 30 miles southwest of the Delware Water Gap on the NJ border. I am doing NJ, through VT next Summer. I KNOW I'll have bear encounters in NJ, but I can't see carrying on that account. The style of hiking that I do over two weeks/month on the AT: meeting and camping with other hikers frequently in shelters, occasionally hitchhiking into a town, doing some slackpacking on blueblazed trails or in the vicinity of camp, and a bunch of unexpected variations which always occur make securing a handgun at all times extremly problematic. Also, I guess I so love the carefree feeling that comes from extended AT hiking, that I can't deal with the serious matter of failsafe gun control. In addition, a few notable incidents in the last twenty years notwithstanding, I know that I am safer on the AT than in where I live. Bear cub problems are specific and dangerous exceptions when they occur, and I've had two quite dicey experiences myself further South. But I'm more concerned with Lime disease, giardia (sp?), and hantavirus.

Well, sorry for the tedious, preachy post...hope to see you on the trail!

I've been in two very dicey situations

molonlabe

I carry not for the four-legged creatures but the very dangerous two-legged ones. I have had problems at the wilderness trailheads in California that made a believer out of me me. Fortunately I was well armed and no shots were fired. Criminals tend to be a cowardly lot. Hiking magazine right after that did an article in 92 (about)titled “Trouble at the trailhead ” outlining some of the incidents.