"Carry Rotation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill DeShivs

I see this term a lot lately.
Please take this advice in the spirit in which it is given-from a very experienced carrier.

If you have a "carry rotation," it darned well better be 2 of the same gun, or models that are extremely similar.
I know you guys are very serious about carrying to protect your lives.
Carrying different guns-with even minute differences in manual of arms can easily get you killed.

Find a gun that works for you, train with it until you know it's every nuance, and carry it in exactly the same place and manner EVERY time you carry it.

If you ever have to USE said gun, everything should work smoothly and without a hitch. Having to think whether you are drawing a Glock or a 1911, or whether you have to disengage a safety is NOT a good thing to be doing at that point in your life.

Use your "carry rotation" around the house to see if a particular gun is worth replacing the above gun.

Last edited:

MandolinMan

This is something that I been rethinking a lot lately. I actually started a thread on this very subject last year and turned out that many of those who responded carry multiple platforms and didn't consider it much of a problem.

I tend to think that there's much wisdom in your post. Its a subject that certainly deserves consideration.

mk70ss

I carry three different guns depending on weather and clothing. All have the same manual of arms. Point, pull trigger, bang. No safeties. I am highly proficient with each.

Dfariswheel

Other then when testing a new holster design I was working on, I always tended to follow the John Bianchi Rule:
"One gun, One holster, One carry".

As above, a fast way to die is reaching for your 1911 in the strong side IWB, only to find that that day you're carrying a Glock in a cross draw.

DPris

Member Emeritus
This is a subject that frequently draws strong opinions.

In my case, I do NOT have a "carry rotation".
My defensive shield is not a clothing accessory & not an "opportunity" to wear a number of guns I "like".

One standard pistol for normal belt carry, one small .380 pocket pistol for particular situations that indicate it, and a Smith J-Frame as a pocket gun with more steam than the .380 when situations dictate.
That's for in-town uses, and while I may technically "rotate", it's based on the outing, not the gun collection. :)

Heavier firepower is added on wilderness excursions.

Switching around between greatly different operating systems is not my idea of the best efficiency under stress.
Denis

I have a carry rotation:

Colt 1911

Para-Ordnance 1911

Caspian 1911

The Para is a smaller, lightweight model that's good for when I don't feel like carrying an all-steel pistol. All three have triggers set at 4-1/2 to 5 pounds, and (obviously) they all have the same manual of arms.

tlm225

I don't have a "rotation" list of guns but I do have four different handguns that I carry depending on circumstances, three are "point and shoot" while the fourth is a 1911. I have never and I mean never confused the manual of arms for the gun I was carrying.

But what do I know, I've only been carrying a gun on a daily basis for 42 years, 20 in the military and 22 so far in law enforcement. Incredibly enough I've even deployed rifles and shotguns as tools of my trade to make the matter even more complex.

rdtompki

I only carry one of my HK P2000, both with LEM triggers, but I compete in steel challenge with a 9mm 1911. We have no Commander 1911s in 9mm available in CA and I deliberately bought the HK to have a trigger that was dramatically different.

I practice with both at speed, but 95+% of my practice is naturally with the 1911. The muscle memory for the 1911 is so associated with the draw in steel challenge that there is little chance of confusing the manual of arms. On the very rare occasion when I go to a regular range I often bring the 1911 up on the target forgetting to off the safety since that manipulation is totally associated with the draw. I wouldn't personally have multiple gun types in a rotation, but seems to work for a lot of folks.

It's fortunate that the HK has a grip angle similar to a 1911. On the rare occasion I've tried out a Glock my initial sight picture is about 10 degrees above the target.

I practice with both at speed, but.... The muscle memory for the 1911 is so associated with the draw in steel challenge that there is little chance of confusing the manual of arms. On the very rare occasion when I go to a regular range....
All of those circumstances involve drawing and shooting when we are planning to draw and shoot--and thinking about the gun.

What concerns me is having to react timely and effectively to an ambush that takes place as a complete surprise from an unexpected direction.

Heck, I worry about whether I will be able to do that at all. Adding any complication--a different kind of shirt, for example--could lead to a slight delay.

Full disclosure: on occasion, I switch from OWB to IWB. And very rarely, I carry an Officer's 1911 type pistol instead of an XDS wit ha gip safely.

Not sure it is a good idea to do so, but once in a while, I do.

Lohman446

What concerns me is having to react timely and effectively to an ambush that takes place as a complete surprise from an unexpected direction.

While I agree with the reasoning the OP suggests I think it could be overstated. If one carries, for instance, 1911's and striker fired firearms without a manual safety there is no danger presented in swiping a non-existent safety. The concern I would have is training in a way that does not involve disengaging the safety or manual safeties that move in different directions.

As to the idea that one is going to be able to respond to an unexpected ambush... you are really hoping for either undetermined or incompetent attackers. Competent and determined attackers taking a single victim by surprise are likely to overcome any defenses he or she may muster. This idea that is floated that one can effectively respond to this perfect ambush is not within the realm of probability in my mind.

rodfac

Find a gun that works for you, train with it until you know it's every nuance, and carry it in exactly the same place and manner EVERY time you carry it.
Pretty good advice...Rod

As to the idea that one is going to be able to respond to an unexpected ambush... you are really hoping for either undetermined or incompetent attackers. Competent and determined attackers taking a single victim by surprise are likely to overcome any defenses he or she may muster. This idea that is floated that one can effectively respond to this perfect ambush is not within the realm of probability in my mind.
It is, however, the reason why citizens carry firearms for self protection.

Bob Wright

I carry one gun, a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. But I do have an alternate for the days I work out with my main .45. So, basically, one gun.

Bob Wright

A J

I only carry snub-nosed revolvers but my methods of carry change quite a bit depending upon what I'm wearing. Pocket carry seems to be my "go to" favorite. Most of the time, my method of carry prevents a speedy draw, so if end up in a duel with Wyatt Earp, I'm in big trouble. ;)

mavracer

Having to think whether you are drawing a Glock or a 1911, or whether you have you disengage a safety is NOT a good thing to be doing at that point in your life.

I find this extremely amusing, the idea is laughable that a person can't be competent enough to switch back and forth, the Dunning–Kruger effect is certainly in play here.

If someone has unconscious competence with a 1911 the safety will be automatically swept as part of the draw stroke, this isn't affected by drawing a Glock.

If someone doesn't have unconscious competence with a 1911, it's a training issue.

Lohman446

If someone has unconscious competence with a 1911 the safety will be automatically swept as part of the draw stroke, this isn't affected by drawing a Glock.

I know I "swipe the safety" when I fire striker fired semi-automatics because I consciously assure that is how I train with them. Because I do sometimes carry a Glock in place of my P938 I make sure to train motion to the most "complex". I think you are largely correct on this - its not as big a deal as it is made out to be.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

"...this term a lot lately..." Lotta that since the Internet was invented. Lotta people overthink everything.
"...react timely and effectively to an ambush..." You need to stay away from those places you think you're going to be ambushed. You are not going into combat when you take the dog for a walk or go to the movies.
"...even minute differences..." You'd have to be really unlucky to get killed over it, but it happens in the shooting games. Had to switch from my 870 to a loaner Win 2200, I think it was, in the middle of a plate shoot. Different length stroke caused a very loud CLICK when there should have been a loud BANG.
"...laughable that a person can't be competent enough to..." Isn't a competence thing. It's a muscle memory thing. Ever drive a proper standard transmission then get into a girly automatic? Your left foot will automatically go for the clutch pedal and you'll be waving your right hand where the shift lever. It takes a conscious thought to switch. Same thing can happen with firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.