Carry for women question

pax

at a shooting class for "advanced" students everyone was required to clear their weapons but carry them at lunch. we announced we would be trying to take their guns....even with the warning we had no problem taking over 60% of the guns. by the end of lunch everyone got the point...and we spent the afternoon on retention.

"It's okay, it isn't loaded," is one of the most stupid sentences in the English language. It kills a certain number of people every year. Please tell me I misunderstood your story!

pax

BerdanSS

I actually tried to talk my wife into a "gun purse" when she first stared carrying. I was pretty darn proud of her when she threw back (without thinking about it) " what happens if someone runs up behind me and cuts the strap off my shoulder, or worse grabs it and we get into physical confrontation because they couldn't "grab and run"?"

Now that being said the "gun purse" isn't the worst idea in the world. My wife is 5'6 about a Buck twenty and 27 years old. She wears lowrider jeans and tight fitting T shirts pretty much every day of the week. She carries a glock 26 in a very close fitting holster. With her jacket on or one of her little hoodies, its impossible to tell she has it. She carries just behind the hip so unless your behind her, in just the T shirt and jeans you can't see it. A cop was standing right behind us in line at the store and confused it for a cell phone. He said what a neat phone case. Is that carbon fiber? When she told him was her gun, he turned a little red and said you know how to use that? She replied yes....he nodded and said good girl.

Last edited:

tobnpr

Comments about the "stolen purse" are valid.

BUT...

There's a lot more to personal safety, and carrying, than just stashing the weapon in a purse.

You could get hit over the head with a pipe walking around a dark corner as well, and the 9mm on your hip would do you no good, either.

Situational awareness goes a long way.

When dress simply does not allow any form of on-body carry, the purse is the only viable option. Well, the "Sneaky Pete" (requires a belt) or an ugly fanny pack might be options...but what woman is going to wear a fanny pack?

We live in FL...jackets, sweatshirts, any sort of overgarment- well, just not gonna happen 9 or 10 month out of the year- and even then, only a few days where it's cold enough to wear a jacket.

If someone has another idea, I'd love to hear it.

pax

Also, someone upthread recommended SmartCarry or Thunderwear. Those do not work well for most women, especially women who enjoy wearing form-fitting jeans.

Trust me on this one. ;)

Women who do well with SmartCarry type holsters nearly all find they work best under a skirt.

pax

pax

A friend of mine once set his pocket on fire with an older technology Surefire flashlight.

pax

NCummins

Take a cheap cloth holster a sew it inside of her purse. It doesn't take much, just a few stitches in a few different places. Just enough for it to stay in a good draw position and not get covered up by all that junk inside. A woman has her purse everywhere she goes. Everybody saying the purse carry is dumb is in fact, dumb themselves. Most times you need a gun you are walking around. A woman more than likely walking to her car at night and alone, if she trains drawing from her purse she will be just as fast as most guys having to move their tucked in shirt away from there piece.

pax

Here's what a purse snatching looks like. It is a violent crime, and a certain number of women are killed every year by criminals who have targeted their purses.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9428201

Could this woman have drawn a firearm out of her purse as soon as she realized she was being attacked? What do you think?

Having handled many concealed carry purses, and also having handled a whole bunch of "just adapt your regular purse to carry a gun in it" oddities, I have to say her odds would have been less bad if she had a purse specifically designed for concealed carry. Even so – on body carry is better. And from this video, you can see why.

pax

NCummins

Like someone said earlier, if someone snuck up behind you and knocked you over the head with a pipe it wouldn't much matter how you were carrying. The you'd lady isn't going to carry on her person and doesn't like the purses made for carrying. Seems like there is only 1 option.

In your video that woman had ample time to draw a weapon, the purse is still on her body when the video ends, and she should realize a giant man is following her and she is the only person around. Having a gun doesn't make you invincible, if walk around with no situational awareness it doesn't really matter if you are carrying or not.

ddgarcia05

I didn't read the replies but my fiancé just picked up a garter holster and some type of belly holster from Can Can Concealment. It should arrive tomorrow. I'll tell you if she likes it.