Carry and National Threat Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thHorseman

Does your carry weapon/ammo/caliber change depending on the national threat level?
For an example, if you see the National Threat Level has risen in the USA because of a terrorist threat do you change your carry options?
For an example...

No, it makes no difference
Yes, I just carry more ammunition
Yes, I change calibers
Yes, I change types of firearms
Yes, I change caliber and types of firearms
Yes, I carry more firearms, ammo and calibers

ScottRiqui

No.

The National Terrorism Advisory System (the replacement for the old color-coded Homeland Security Advisory System) isn't upgraded or downgraded based on any factors that would likely affect me at a local/personal level.

Indi

No. I worry more about gang members than terrorist. I guess if I was worried about terrorist I would leave the house with my ar.

kinggabby

Does your carry weapon/ammo/caliber change depending on the national threat level?
For an example, if you see the National Threat Level has risen in the USA because of a terrorist threat do you change your carry options?
For an example...
Even though terrorist can try and attack anywhere it does not change my habits. And I don't think it should. If we are practicing situation awareness then you are already ahead of the game whether it be a terrorist or gang banger.

Carry_24/7

No, the weapon I carry at a particular time is based on my dress and ability to properly conceal it.

I'm not saying that some drastic change in the local/national security environment could not drive some change in my carrying habis though...but it hasn't happened yet.

Good conversation piece though....

Newton24b

not at all. but i admit, its hard to find a gun or caliber, or even type of of ammunition that would correspond to "british racing green" on the threat scale.

ScottRiqui

not at all. but i admit, its hard to find a gun or caliber, or even type of of ammunition that would correspond to "british racing green" on the threat scale.

The old color-coded system is gone, anyway. The replacement doesn't have a persistent threat level like the old system - it's either "no alert", "elevated threat" or "imminent threat".

Since the new system came online in April of last year, there haven't been any alerts issued.

Last edited:

12GaugeShuggoth

No.

If something bad enough were happening to cause a national (or even statewide) response, my first action would be to either bunker down or load up the car and boogie.

My sidearm isn't for fighting terrorists. I'm not a one-man National Security Tactical Team, and I don't think a pistol will do much good against a hijacked airliner or a vial of anthrax.

C0untZer0

I think for some people, weapons are a visceral response to anxiety and feeling threatened - whether it be by the North Koreans, or escalating tensions in the Middle-East, or whatever.

Even though buying a firearm is not going to help you one bit if we go to war against North Korea, or end up in a naval battle with Iran, some people's behavior is dictated by those things. It's an illogical reaction to anxiety.

Shadi Khalil

No. I thought they got rid of that silly system... Anyways, I just live under the assumption there is always someone trying to do something so I try and act accordely.

Deja vu

That would be funny. I carry what I carry. The only times it changes is when my job forces me to go to a bad area.

Glockstar .40

nope! anyone who wants to take my life is considered the highest threat level to me whether its a gangbanger with a mac 10 or a terrorist with an RPG or just a desperate crack head with a knife. so i always carry the same.

Irish B

I'm hoping that living here in colorado within 20 min of two army bases, an air force base, the air force academy, and NORAD will suffice to protect me against any large scale terrorist attacks in my area. As for small scale well that's why I have my cc. In my neighborhood we have bear and mtn lion risk threat levels. Seriously.

GM2

My sidearm isn't for fighting terrorists. I'm not a one-man National Security Tactical Team, and I don't think a pistol will do much good against a hijacked airliner or a vial of anthrax.

Good answer! my thoughts Exactly .

5whiskey

I'm very deeply sorry if I offend anyone, but this is my personal feelings on the matter and nothing can change them. Anyone who answers yes to this question is delusional and has unrealistic fantasies. If anything, I question whether they're mature enough to carry a firearm. I don't look at the "terrorist threat level" and think "OMG, I may have to fend off a terrorist attack on my nation. I better step up from the LCP to the wonder glock with 18 rounds."

Not to say that having someone armed on one of the planes that hit the world trade center wouldn't have made a difference. I am saying that the chances of being placed in that situation are so remote that it's not worth consideration. If it is given a consideration, then the person considering it lives in a fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.