Carry a Compact w / a Full Size Mag

Shadi Khalil

Hello all,

For the last couple years I have been carrying a S&W M&P 9c and have really settled into a double stack striker fired after years of single stacks and J-frames. While capacity was never a concern to me (and still isn't) I like advantage where ever I can get them. I've recently started carrying my full size mag in the gun and another full size mag as a back up. In winter clothes, the full size mag does not affect how the gun conceals and the added weight and length is not uncomfortable. I was wondering If anyone else does the same thing. If so, what type of gun and what kind of capacity increase do you get using the full size mags?

Thanks.

Whirlwind06

I carry my kel tec p11 with a s&w 6909 12 round mag with grip sleeve. So I get 2 more rounds and a bigger grip. I could also go with 15 round mag.

I've never understood the logic of buying a compact pistol and then using full-size magazines, thereby taking the grip (the part that's hardest to conceal) the same as the full-size pistol.

I carry 1911s, in 3" and Officers ACP (3-1/2") flavors. The carry gun has the correct, flush fit magazine in it and I carr a full-size magazine as the backup/reload.

Sharkbite

Be careful of the full-size spare mag without some type of sleeve. It is possible to drive the mag too far into the gun during a slide-lock reload and tie up the pistol. Might be more of a problem with some makes then others, but ive seen it with G26's being fed G17 mags enthusiastically.

A grip sleave to prevent over insertion alleviates this issue.

My HD G19 gets a G17 mag inserted before bedtime. Only a cpl extra rounds but if something goes bump in the night im prob not going to grab an extra mag..so whatevers in the gun will be what i have to solve the problem.

For CCW i carry the same G19 and a spare mag for THAT pistol. The extra 2 rounds are not worth the potential problem.

Shadi Khalil

Auguila,

I've never understood the logic either until I did it and it worked. If it was anymore difficult or uncomfortable to conceal I wouldn't do it. Maybe it's my body type coupled with appendix carry? I tried a full size M&P in the same spot and the problem was the barrel poking into my thigh, not the grip.

dewcrew8

I use a full size mag because the 8rd is to short, ie big hands so I like the 10rd in my mp45c . If smith made a hook type mag end like ruger , then maybe the 8rd mag would be fine!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Sharkbite has a good point. I once bought a ten-round 1911 magazine for pin shooting, not noticing that it had no stop to keep it from going in too far. It took me 20 minutes to get that magazine out. Needless to say, I lost that match, and tossed that magazine. (I think some of the other club members are still laughing; if something like that had happened in an emergency, no one would have been laughing.)

Even if that is not a problem, the extra inch or so of a magazine is just one more thing to catch on clothing and get in the way. If you feel you need those extra rounds, get a gun that will hold them without improvising.

Jim

Hunter0924

I have been carrying a G29 the past 6 months or so over my G20 as it is easier to conceal.
I carry a G20 magazine as my spare. I have used it enough to be confident it is reliable and I have not had any issues of inserting it in too far on the G29.

Brotherbadger

I agree that if you do have a bigger spare mag, use a sleeve. My personal preference is to carry a Glock 19 mag in my 19, and have a 17 mag as my back up. Just make sure to practice a lot switching from the smaller to the larger mag.

Shadi Khalil

I've never had an issue with my full size mag during reloads. In fact, I've read that because of the way most of us carry our spare mags, grip sleeves have a tendency to work their way down to the middle of the mag with movement. This can slow down what would otherwise be a quick, smooth reload.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

In fact, I've read that the selves can actually walk to the middle of the mag while carrying, hence impending a speedy reload.

Idk if this is English, but if not I need a translation.

marine6680

Tunnel... He means the grip sleeve can slide up the magazine when it's in your pocket making a reload more of a hassle.

There are ways to prevent such a thing though.

If all you have is a compact model, and in the winter you feel that you can conceal the larger mag then I see no problem with it. I agree that a grip sleeve is a good idea at that point. You could carry the compact mag as the spare, then you only need the one larger mag and grip sleeve.

If you have a larger pistol available then you could just carry that. If the way you carry makes a longer barrel a problem, then I can understand thst, or if you are short on suitable carry options.

colbad

I normally carry a G27. I have the +2 extension on the mag which fits my hand better. When I carry an extra mag I normally carry the mag from my G22. I figure if I ever reached the point of needing a reload, more is better and the extra control from the longer mag helps the aim.

Shadi Khalil

Dang tunnel, you are right. Going back to make an edit, thanks for pointing it out.

Marine,

As far as M&P's go, I only have the compact model but have tried my friends FS in the same position, with the same holster. It was great until I sat and got poked by the barrel in the thigh.

Like I said earlier, I've always carried small, lightweight guns. For the most part it was mainly Kahr's and S&W J-frames, so the prospect of carrying a full size gun was exciting to me. If it was not for the poking, I'd carry the FS model that I'll inevitably buy.

RickB

I put a short, 6-round mag in the gun, and use full-sized mags for reloads.
If I were going to use the long mags in the gun, I'd carry a Commander and get a little additional sight radius and velocity in addition to the additional capacity.
I made some sleeves for overtravel stops, and while I have noticed them migrating up the tube slightly (1/16"), the act of pulling the mag from the pouch - by the sleeve - results in the sleeve being hard against the bottom the mag when the latter is presented to the gun.

Shadi Khalil

Rick, that's a good tip.

For clarity, I was referring to a x-grip type sleeve but I've heard the same about the ones that cone with the Sheild or xds.