Carl Gustafs 6.5x55....enlighten me.

MountainBear

Properly done, they can be beautiful and accurate sporters. I would never recommend sporterizing an original gun, but with that one, the sky's the limit. Here's some photos of a recent addition to my collection. I also have two actions waiting to be built.

Good luck with your purchase!

tynimiller

Well....decided to take it. $100....and Tuesday night will be dedicated to cleaning the baby up and taking better pics to share here. I don't reload, so gonna have to start keeping my eye out for ammo. Thanks for all the help fellas....made the decision pretty easy+the price was too good to say no.

eastbank

i own a few 96 swedes and a target 63 and love shooting them with in their pressure limits, they don,t need hyper speed to get the job done and i would not have any trouble hunting moose-elk or mediun sized bear with a 156gr round nose 6.5 bullet moving at 2400-2500fps to 200yds. i own and also shoot three .260 rems. and can move the 6.5 bullets faster if i need it. the 6.5 bullets are good long range perfomers at the range and hunting field. eastbank.

Colt46

MountainBear-

You did it right. My grail gun is a 6.5 swede with full stock and butterknife bolt.
Simply elegant.

hornetguy

My deer rifle is also a Carl Gustav... mine was the shorter one (38?). I slimmed down the stock, and put a rosewood forend tip on it, altered the bolt and drilled/tapped for a scope.
If there is a better deer cartridge out there, I don't know what it is. Mine loves the Hornady 140gr bullet at just about 2625 fps. I use 4350 to get there. This rifle will put 5 rounds in an inch or so all day long.... and that's with the military trigger. Who knows what it would be capable of with a good, crisp trigger, and a better marksman?
All the deer, and the couple of smaller hogs have gone down "right now". One shot each. It just kills em dead.
That 140gr bullet has a great ballistic coefficient, which is probably why it kills so well. I've never recovered a bullet from a game animal.

If there's nothing wrong with your gun, and you find a load it likes, I predict you've just bought your new favorite rifle.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It could be my old eyeballs, but the holes in the receiver ring (Post #1) look like they don't line up. If that is the case, it will be difficult to mount a scope properly without some extensive work.

Jim

tynimiller

James....yeah I don't think whomever owned it prior ever was successful at properly mounting a scope....if I go the scope route I have a feeling it may get expensive to the trusted gunsmith. However, I bow hunt nearly 99.99% of the time + my state doesn't allow centerfire rifles for deer so only thing this will get used for is trips elsewhere or yotes or plinking. We shall see what it turns into....but a good cleaning and dreams of what are possible set to start. :D

6.5swedeforelk

...Who knows what it would be capable of with a good, crisp trigger...

Hornetguy, consider a Timney trigger/safety,
that would remove the mass of that ride-along
safety (& that de-cocker from the firing pin).

Think what that would do to lock time.

Sorry for the derail, Tmiller

Last edited:

Niantician

26b93de1f23780ea89f9a77353bbb69f.jpg

7c6d0e0a0f0ad0d407963fcb4ca10e70.jpg

1d5ab236cc8f0aa148b7efe28e40db22.jpg

I got one in a trade for 20ga 870. I love it. Hornady's reloading manual has loads tested in a Swedish mauser. Ive gone right up to max with them and theres no issue. Great gun.