Caps?

Yankee Doodle

I am thinking about changing the nipple on my T/C Hawken .54 to accept musket caps. I have been told that this will give me more positive ignition. In reality, except for three times when I tried Pyrodex, I have not had any problems. I usually use 2F B.P. With all the new rules re: transportation of B.P. do you think it is worth my while to make the switch?

Yankee Doodle

Well, I am trying to think ahead. I do not get reliable ignition with Pyrodex, and with the new laws coming out, I anticipate having a problem in getting real black powder.
I am trying to ensure reliability with Pyrodex, before BP gets to be too rare and expensive to buy.
Just my thoughts on the matter

Wild Bill Bucks

The only problem I ever had with pyrodex ignition was due to me trying to use Pellets instead of loose in my side lock. Some side locks will ignite them just fine, but my Thompson would not. I changed over to a small rifle primer and that solved the problem with shooting pellets. I would however bare in mind that if you change the ignition delivery system of your rifle, it may well show a difference in POI so don't just change it without re-zeroing in your rifle. It made about a 4" difference in mine but I can't tell you why. Probably has something to do with a higher burn rate between primers, but I will leave that to more knowledgeable shooters here on the forum.

Yankee Doodle

Wild Bill
How did you get small rifle primers to work in a side lock? What kind of modification was made, and would you be willing to tell me how much it cost? That sounds like a problem solver for sure.
Thanks

K.A.T.

Musket Caps

I have a 50.T.C. Hawkins,I tried the musket caps and my gun would not pop the caps every time.The hammer spring was not strong enough. It was not very reliable.I didn't have a problem with the #11's I was just experimenting.

I hunt with my Hawkins,and leave the in-line at home,here is what works for me.Before I go in the woods I load about 50 or 60 grains of pyrodex and pack a dry patch on top of it and fire it off,if it hang fires any at all,do it again!

I have replaced my original barrel with a greenmountain barrel that has a 1in28 twist,it likes powerbelts and maxiballs.I don't use sabots,they are harder to load in a dirty barrel.

I load 20grs. of loose pyrodex,lean the rifle over toward the nipple side and bump the side of the rifle with my hand.This places powder over toward the nipple helping with ignition.Then load two 50gr. pyrodex pellets ,then a 295gr. powerbelt or a 320gr.maxiball.When shooting the maxiball I use a felt wad between it and the powder.These two bullets shoot almost identical,so close I don't have to change the sites.I tried 15gr. of loose powder in front of the pellets and it wasn't reliable,20grs. works ever time.Using the pellets takes packing the powder the same every time out of the process,which improved my accuracy.

It puts the meat in the freezer,and has never let me down.I spent alot of time and money trying different things,maybe this will help someone.

Wild Bill Bucks

I bought the conversion kit from cabela's. Its simple to install, as it just screws in where your primer holder nipple screws in know. The top screws off and you put the primer inside, and screw the top back on. Top becomes a firing pin that hits the primer when fired. About $20.00 or so I think.

Only problem is making sure you don't drop the top out of your stand when priming. It is a little bit of a hassle, but it eliminates moisture problems, and absolutely eliminates mis-fires. It is an instantaneous ignition, and makes your rifle a little more like a 30-30 than a muzzleloader.

Sarge

I am thinking about changing the nipple on my T/C Hawken .54 to accept musket caps. I have been told that this will give me more positive ignition. In reality, except for three times when I tried Pyrodex, I have not had any problems. I usually use 2F B.P. With all the new rules re: transportation of B.P. do you think it is worth my while to make the switch?

I can tell you with confidence that switching to a musket nipple will provide significantly faster and more reliable ignition than you'll get with standard percussion caps. We have a Traditions Springfield Hawken that wsa a tad sluggish with Pyrodex, partictlarly in damp weather, and converting it for musket caps was the best thing I ever did for that rifle. Accuracy may have even improved a tad, and she thumps you as soon as the hammer falls now.

About the only downside is that musket caps are more costly than the standard variety, but IMO it worth a few extra pennies per shot to know that the gun is gonna go BOOM right now, whenever I press the go-switch. Make sure your hammer is centering your current nipple before you swap them out, 'cause with the added diameter of the musket nipple it'll need to be.

Take care-

arcticap

Were you using Pyrodex P fffg on the few occassions when you had the misfires?
The smaller granulation settles better in the breech. As long as your flash channel is clean it should ignite just fine, but I can understand why you'd want to convert your ignition for hunting.
Some folks will place a couple of grains of powder under the nipple to improve reliablility during hunting.
Maybe a better #11 nipple would help too, but Pyrodex P does promote better ignition. And then there's #11 magnum caps from CCI and RWS.

Gbro

Musket caps are louder, but i am not convinced they add any more fire to the powder. I posted about this 3-4 months and haven't finished my testing on the difference in performance.
What i do know is the the navy caps i used wouldn't push a cleaning patch out of the barrel.
CCI M-Caps would but not any better than a #11.

38splfan

Moisture.

I have a .50 T/C Hawken with a musket cap nipple. I've noticed better performance in moist weather, but couldn't tell you why. May just be a fluke. Works well for me, anyway, YMMV.
Good luck either way, they're great rifles:)

Joe Martin

Y.D.

Try #11 RWS caps, the hot firing ones. They are well known for being hotter then many caps on the market today, and they work very well. I think you'll like them and you'll have no worries using them to set off Pyrodex.

Double J

--The musket caps will definaty give a hotter flame. And there are other small changes that help. One is to have a smith drill a small vent into the drum. This helps the flash reach the main charge. And I've found that a finer grain powder, such as FFFG black or Pyrodex"P" to be more reliable than FFG grades.
--After pouring the powder down the barrel, use the palm of your hand to pat the lock a few times to help the powder settle into the drum/nipple area. Then go ahead and finish loading as usual. Also check the nipple after each shot. Some caps like the Remington #11 will often plug the hole. Have fun.

Ifishsum

FWIW, CCI #11 magnum caps have worked well for my TC hawken, I've only got a little over 100 rounds fired in it but so far no misfires or hangfires. I've only loaded it with Pyrodex, both P and RS. A friend of mine with the same gun has the same experience, the only misfire he had was when he dryballed it the other day :D

Wild Bill Bucks

About 4 or 5 years ago, I was at a hunting camp with 9 other guys, only two of us were using primers. Everyone else was using caps. It was one of those days opening morning, that the rain just wouldn't let up, and everyone got good and soaked throughout the day.

That evening we decided to shoot our guns and clean them up good before going to bed, and even though everyone was using all kinds of homemade, keep your powder dry gizmos, the only two rifles that went off were mine and the other fellow shooting primers. The other 7 hunters spent the best part of an hour pulling balls, and packing dry powder in their rifles through the nipple, trying to get their load out. All the rifles were side locks, and everyone who owns one knows what a hassle it is removing a wet charge.

I guess thats what convinced me, to stay with my primers.

Sarge

Hmmm... I've been shooting caplock for 36 years and I've never had to pull a ball. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing 'right' but after reading that I'm sure as heck not gonna change anything I am doing.;)

dstorm1911

I convert all mine right off the bat...... its much easier to handle the larger musket caps especially with cold fingers....

backyardbeagler

I have the kit that lets me shoot the small rifle primers on my old renegade and I have used it for years. I was wanting to get this for a white mountain but I cant seem to find it anywhere could someone post a link or tell me where I could order this? Thanks.

Hawg

I started shooting bp 39, almost 40 years ago. I've been using Pyrodex(mostly RS) ever since bp got hard to get. I've never had an ignition problem with it in any weather and I use standard caps. The only thing I use musket caps on is a musket. For cold fingers get a capper.:D

Smokin_Gun

I tried the musket caps and my gun would not pop the caps every time.The hammer spring was not strong enough.

Hey K.A.T. I got an 1863 Remington Zouave that'll pop them Musket caps for ya...:)

SG