can you guess what I'm building?

Chris_B

Believe it or not, that's an original unissued C stock, not a repro. Thanks Dad :)

03A45.jpg

Chris_B

Not another fake M1903A4?

Jim

Gee Jim, I didn't know I had too many of them already ;)

I can tell by your tone that you disapprove. Sounds like your problem 'ol buddy. :p I bought a barreled action that already has no collector value because somebody else drilled and tapped it, and I'm going to resurrect it into the rifle that I want to own but can't afford. If it offends you, give me 5 grand. I'll gladly go buy an original!

Here's a photo for you, of my receiver:

03A44.jpg

No collectible value any more. I'm not even 100% sure that I can mount the base correctly. And I think we both know that I can't really 'fake' an 03A4 effectively because of the offset stampings. I collect a few original USGI items Jim. And I don't ruin them. Try to be a little happy for me that I have an enjoyable project and that maybe I'll have a fun rifle to shoot (which will be an advantage over a real 03A4 anyway), OK?

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

I for one am very happy with your decision, and wish you luck with your project. I'd rather see an already defaced fine old collector be made into a close copy, good shooter, than a sporter any day!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Sorry for the tone. You may not have any others, but I have seen plenty at guns shows, usually being passed off as genuine. I have no problem with a made up A4 as long as you don't sell it claiming that it is original.

I just don't see much point. To prove that a scoped A3 will shoot? Most older shooters knew that 50 years ago. To fill a gap in a collection? But it doesn't, not really, any more than a new Colt SAA fills a gap in a collection of 19th century guns. Just for fun? Best reason, and it is the point. Good luck.

Jim

Chris_B

Fair enough James, but to tell the truth, it will always be a 1903A3. Nothing under heaven will make it a new gun in an old gun collection. I see the point of taking the old sporter receiver and making it into something again, and that's good enough for me :)

madcratebuilder

James K said:
Sorry for the tone. You may not have any others, but I have seen plenty at guns shows, usually being passed off as genuine. I have no problem with a made up A4 as long as you don't sell it claiming that it is original.

I understand what Jim is talking about. There are people that are regulars at the gun shows that are less than forthright about the origins of the goods they are hawking. In other words there's a bunch of, no, a few lying bastards around that well rip you off in a heartbeat.

Fake cartouches are a big business these days and the words "bring back" are applied to ever mil-surp without a import mark, even some with:rolleyes:

Chris was made several posts, here and other forums, about wanting a A4 clone. There's no attempt on his part to deceive anyone.

Finding a nice A3 that already D&T'ed is a natural for this. I wouldn't mind having a A4 either, maybe a Gibbs model.

Jim Watson

You mean like the guy with the stack of yellow cards and the little star stamp who could upgrade your Springfield on the spot?

I once owned a built up rifle that looked for all the world like a Springfield Sporter. Until you read the roll marks. It was a Remington 1903 action with an early 1903A3 barrel (no spline cut but still 4 groove) in a 1922M2 stock with Lyman 48 sight. Looked good and shot well. I don't THINK it could be passed off as a Sporter, but I would not put it past some vendors to try. And maybe get lucky with a "collector" whose expertise did not equal his bankroll.

I am sure the OP does not have misrepresentation in mind.
And I don't mind the setup, whoever designed the C stock must have had an ancestor of mine for fit tests, I find it a very comfortable stock for iron sight shooting. Probably fine for a low mounted scope. Pity Leupold did not find enough of a market for their Alaskan lookalike to keep making them; that would make a nice rig.

Chris_B

;) if deception was on my mind, you'd think I would keep my trap shut more ;)

I'm crawling ahead with this. I had a scope lined up, but I cancelled my order. Didn't have a feel-good about the purchase. There's other sources

I had it headspaced, etc, with another bolt. Safe to shoot, barrel gauges in spec. I have all my furniture now except the bayonet lug band and screw