Can we PLEASE stop doing this?

DannyB1954

People who think they know it all really do upset those of us who do know it all.

Anytime there is a slang term it is open to interpretation. Even racking the slide is slang. What does a rack have to do with a gun? Just because you think a slang term means what you think it means, doesn't mean it really does. So if you insist that others use a term in the same context as you wish, That makes you a wishful thinker. The world in general will refuse to abide by your rules.

Last edited:

ParabellumJ

I'm curious how many people on these forums who are free to lend their advise and opinion actually train with firearms. And by train I don't mean you own a few guns and occasionally go the the range to shoot as a hobby. And I don't mean you stand in a lane and practice your marksmanship to see if you can get some really nice groups. By train I mean you pay for professional instruction over the course of one or several days on how to fight with your pistol and/or rifle, the proper way to manipulate those weapons and why those techniques are used. By reading the comments on many of these threads I would guess not many. So before you brush someone off and say what's the difference because you don't know better, consider that maybe the other guy does.

mete

And the so called "dust cover " of a 1911 is NOT a dust cover. Sadly even the gun companoies are mis-calling it !:mad:

James K

Member In Memoriam
Is there always a "proper" way to "manipulate" a firearm? Is it "wrong" to do something differently from the way someone else does it? If I choose to retract the slide of an auto pistol by grasping it between thumb and forefinger am I committing a sin if that method works for me? If I choose to shoot a handgun with one hand, and can hit that way, why should I be concerned with the opinion of some "combat expert" whose shooting has been confined to a keyboard?

Jim

ParabellumJ

Is there always a "proper" way to "manipulate" a firearm? Is it "wrong" to do something differently from the way someone else does it? If I choose to retract the slide of an auto pistol by grasping it between thumb and forefinger am I committing a sin if that method works for me? If I choose to shoot a handgun with one hand, and can hit that way, why should I be concerned with the opinion of some "combat expert" whose shooting has been confined to a keyboard?

Jim

I guess that depends on how serious you are. Some people are content with just doing what works for them. Others strive to improve. But don't dismiss their methods or their reasoning because it's different, and don't assume you know anything about their experiences.

shortwave

Originally posted by ParabellumJ
By train I mean you pay for professional instruction over the course of one or several days on how to fight with your pistol and/or rifle, the proper way to manipulate those weapons and why those techniques are used. By reading the comments on many of these threads I would guess not many. So before you brush someone off and say what's the difference because you don't know better, consider that maybe the other guy does

You may want to consider this as well. There may be some here that have had enough training in their lifetimes with multiple instructors to realize that every instructor does not teach the same way for certain circumstance nor do they all have the same terminology when referring to various topics.

Though you are correct about powerstroking being different then slingshotting, it would be most unwise to judge a fella's weapon skills or level of training by his incorrect terminology.

ParabellumJ

You may want to consider this as well. There may be some here that have had enough training in their lifetimes with multiple instructors to realize that every instructor does not teach the same way for certain circumstance nor do they all have the same terminology when referring to various topics.

Though you are correct about powerstroking being different then slingshotting, it would be most unwise to judge a fella's weapon skills or level of training by his incorrect terminology.

I am not judging anyone. I was defending the OP who was quickly brushed off (rather rudely I might add) because he pointed out there was actually a difference between the two. It was also questioned on why someone would even employ the powerstroke after they brushed him off. That disregard for his opinion and the ignorance about the topic got me to wonder if they actually know what they are talking about, or if they are just "into guns".

LockedBreech

Big +1 to shortwave. On occasion I shoot with an older gent who uses all the wrong terminology, even calls magazines "clips", but the man consistently tears one ragged hole at 25 yards.

Without indicting anyone in this thread or anyone in particular, I think a lot of times the gun forum terminology/equipment/brand nitpicking is compensation for mediocre skills in the field. No amount of money spent on equipment or training will replace practice.

zombietactics

Though you are correct about powerstroking being different then slingshotting ...

I understand that you were responding to ParabellumJ, but thanks for at least understanding the point of the thread and my opening post. So many do not, and instead want to argue as though I said something I did not say.

... it would be most unwise to judge a fella's weapon skills or level of training by his incorrect terminology.
Which is something I never implied or stated. I make no such judgement.

I'm simply of the mind that if someone (figuratively) calls a home-run a touchdown ... maybe they might consider their ability to discuss baseball or football. If one doesn't care enough to know better, why do they care enough to comment?

It's a very small thing indeed ... unless people want to have conversations or discussions which make sense.

Last edited:

ParabellumJ

I think a lot of times the gun forum terminology/equipment/brand nitpicking is compensation for mediocre skills in the field. No amount of money spent on equipment or training will replace practice.

Thats a pretty big assumption about people you know nothing about. And I was accused of judging people.

I know three things for certain about this thread. 1) The OP is correct in that there is a difference. 2) Most of those who replied to his observation were rude and disrespectful. 3) I have no desire to argue any of these points on this or any other thread.

As a wise man once said "Good luck with that."

TunnelRat

3) I have no desire to argue any of these points on this or any other thread.

And yet here you are, doing just that. :D

I don't think the responders felt they were being overly rude. To quote someone:

Thats a pretty big assumption about people you know nothing about.

zombietactics

I have no opinion regarding whether people were being rude or not, as I actually don't care.

What concerns me more is the apparent rush to discuss almost anything other than the actual point I was making, or to insist that we can just call any damn'd thing by any damn'd name, without losing the ability to meaningfully communicate.

TunnelRat

What concerns me more is the apparent rush to discuss almost anything other than the actual point I was making, or to insist that we can just call any damn'd thing by any damn'd name, without losing the ability to meaningfully communicate.

But we have the ability to communicate.

Some people call footlong sandwiches hoagies. Some people call them subs. Some people call them grinders.

Now your response will be, but in this case it means different things! This is true. And there's nothing wrong with pointing it out I suppose. But guess what? You might catch some flak for it. No one really likes the kid in the class with his hand up all the time (trust me, that used to be me).

40CalGuy

I was just giving you a hard time. at least your responses are stated as opinion, not fact based on limited experience and personal opinion like some other people around here.

SHE3PDOG

I have had at least 2 instructors call any action used to pull the slide back out of slide lock in order to release it and chamber another round "slingshotting" even though they understood perfectly well the "pinch" (what is also referred to as slingshotting) method and "overhand" (powerstroking) method of doing so.

I recall another thread about the thumbs forward grip where many people had different grips that they were calling the same thing. They ended up posting pictures to represent what they were talking about. I'm sure if you were face to face with someone talking about this stuff and a terminology conflict arose, you'd just demonstrate with your hands and/or an actual gun (safely).

In short, this only matters on the internet. Even then, it is something that can be overcome relatively easily.