Can someone explain the difference in between the various "role" guns?

Micahweeks

Some guns are suited for certain roles better than others, though I think this is more observable in rifles than handguns. In handguns, it's pretty obvious from the get go if a gun is a hunting gun or self defense gun. I mean, a single shot .223 gun with a 10" barrel? Who is honestly going to CC that? It's a compact varmint/deer gun. A Glock 19? Obviously, that's a defense gun.

Caliber, utility, weight, and other factors go into determining role. For instance, a "trail" gun is thought to be small enough to fit in a backpack but still large enough to be chambered in substantial hunting round and have enough barrel length to take advantage of the cartridge. In handguns, this would be something like the 4.2 inch SP101. It's a 5 shot .357 that is relatively light and compact framed but with enough barrel to take advantage of the .357 cartridge. It's a backpacking gun. Could you carry a 6 inch .500 mag in your backpack? Sure. Would it be overkill for the wildlife where you live? Probably. Would it contribute significantly more to your overall backpack weight? You bet. Would it leave less room for the rest of your equipment? Yup. Does that make the 4.2 SP101 better in the "role" of "backpack gun"? Objectively, probably a yes.

In rifles, this is much more obvious than in handguns. A lever action .357, for example, is completely different in design and purpose from a bolt action .338. I mean, they aren't even in the same ballpark. An AR-15, no matter how you slice it, is just not going to fill the same role as a break action .22. It's not. No way. No how. For one, you're going to take into account laws. Does a gun designed to operate with a 30 round clip or magazine seem like a hunting gun if your state limits hunting guns to 5 rounds? What about a gun designed to carry 5 rounds? Obviously, we have some roles in mind here.

Me? I've got several guns with different roles, and I use them in those roles. I've got my deer/hog guns, my GP100 and lever gun in .357. I've got my .308 big(ger) game rifle, a 700. I've got my old duty guns, a USP9, G35, G22, and a 1911. I've my hiking/camping gun, the 4.2 inch SP101. I've got my bird/squirrel shotguns. I've got my garden varmint .22 rifle. Then, I have a few guns I've experimented with over the years and kept because I liked them like the FNX9 and a few others.

All of that said... sometimes we do just want another gun. I'm not above that whatsoever. I have my "fun" guns, too. But, there is still a logic to firearm designs, and they do often fit a role.

kilimanjaro

I carried a stainless Model 60 snubbie in my work vest for 20 years. In wet Washington, that may qualify as a shower gun.

Still looks and functions as new.

Quentin2

Just call them all safe queen guns and you can have dozens! And each needs a backup gun. Then like a toolbox full of tools when you pull out a specific one for a specific job, well then you can use an appropriate name. :D

Viper225

First off where the heck is the Like Button on this Forum????

Practice Small Light Weight Concealed Carry Revolver: LCR-22

Small Light Weight Carry Revolver, for when you need to go small: 442 Pro

Carry Rotation so you do not put too much wear on any single revolver: 315 Night Guard, SP101 2 Inch, SP101 3 Inch, M10 2 Inch, M15 2 Inch, M66 3 Inch.

Cooler Weather UpSize Rotation. 310 Night Guard 10mm, 3 Inch GP100, Willy Clapp 3 Inch GP100.

Woods Carry / 4 Wheeler Carry / UTV Carry: M64 4 Inch, Ruger MK III, 617 OR whatever I was carrying before I went into Woods Carry Mode.

Practice Competition Revolver: 617 4 Inch

IDPA SSR/ICORE Classic Revolver: 686-5 Power Custom Combat, Back up M64

IDPA ESR/ICORE Limited Revolver: 610 and 625 Power Custom Combats.

Club SNUB Division: SP101

Hunting Revolver: 480 Super RedHawk

Barbecue Gun: As New S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece Snub. No one else I know owns one, so it is good for Show & Tell for adults.
Colt 1911 XSE Custom, to show the guys I do own something besides revolvers. Also Good for IDPA CDP Division just to have an excuse to clean it.

Truck Gun: Normally 4 Inch Barrel Revolver in warm weather probably has 2 shotshells up front for shooting CopperHeads on gravel roads. Semi Wadcutters for Armodillows, etc.

House Gun Mine: What ever I am carrying that happens to be on the dresser.

House Gun Hers: 686-1 4 Inch Power Custom Combat with Clark Moon Clip Conversion. BUT she has an Eye on my 3 Inch SP101.

Grail Gun: 686-4 with 3 Inch Barrel, with 6 shot cylinder
Alternate Grail Gun: 646 with SS Cylinder

Missing Gun that has not been Replaced YET: Nice Colt Style Single Action, for when I Dutch Oven Cook around Cowboys. Caliber: 38 Special, 44 Special, 45 Colt. Kinda like having a Tie to go with a Suit.

Bob

shep854

A nice, invigorating thead!
I'm firmly in the 'want' camp. I have several, want more, enjoy them all (How's that for a role? :) )
Aside from the fun of shooting them, I have only one real 'role' and that's personal defense. My S&W 49 fits that role nicely, though I'm not above grabbing something else if appropriate. ;)
Mileage varies; be safe, comfortable and have fun with your choices!!:D

Spats McGee

Administrator
Pond said:
Are the specific needs of these environments so different that they warrant a different gun? And how is one going to become proficient with all these different pistols, if one might rely on them in an emergency?
In some cases, the environments are very different. In others, I don't see enough of a difference to warrant a separate gun. Generally, I'll use one gun to fill different roles. For example, I would use my carry gun as my truck gun. Both need to be simple, dead-nuts reliable, and ugly enough that a scuff or two won't break my heart.

Pond said:
. . . .is it just a self-deceiving ploy to legitimise the purchase of another gun, or it there actually a logic behind each of these and others that I might have overlooked.
Some of each, I suspect. ;)

stephen426

I would have to agree with your assessment that most of the time, different roles are just more excuses to buy more guns. That said, I think I have about 20 firearms. Most people could probably cover all their bases with a pistol, a shotgun, and a rifle.

Pistol: A good all around pistol that is small enough to carry but large enough to get a decent grip on would be a Glock 19 in my opinion. It is highly resistant to the elements, has good capacity, and is highly reliable. If your typical dress prohibits something that large, then you may need a smaller gun that can be carried in the pocket like a Ruger LCP.

Shotgun: A pump action 12 gauge can be used for hunting as well as home defense. You might get fancy and get a semi-auto shotgun or a specialized slug gun, but a regular pump action 12 gauge (Remington 870) will get the job done for most people.

Rifle: A great all around caliber is .308, which can easily take most game in North America. Hunting rifles make horrible home defense guns due to muzzle blast and over-penetration so its hard to argue for another "need".

With that said, there are guns to fit all different kinds of uses, but it really is hard to call them true "needs".

shep854

It's really easy to see many of us, frozen in front of our open safes, trying to decide which gun to grab...:D