Camo or not

AK103K

Just paint the muzzle then. :)

Whos to say what sees what, or from which direction it comes or if you sit still or move at any given second.

Anything that breaks your outline and that of your gun and gear is a plus. Put two people in the same spot, one in cammies with a cammied gun, and one not, and who do you think will stand out, and draw quicker attention, especially when movement is involved.

I know from experience, when I sit out in a field corner, or even in the open, I get a lot more shooting when dove hunting when Im wearing cammies and using a painted gun, than I did when I didnt. They just come in a lot closer and notice me a lot later than when Im not wearing them. Ive also been in the woods while working and hunting with and without cammies, and we always had deer and other critters come up a lot closer when we were wearing our tree suits than when we werent.

4runnerman

Major Dave--- Bingo.,,,, I think you just pulled the winning ticket for me-Thanks.
I did check them out on the web. I will save the 350.00 and be that much closer to my next rifle.
Thanks to all for the input

rugerdude

Wanna know how we paint our long guns here in Afghanistan? We tape over moving parts and scope lenses and use various colors of off the shelf spray paint. Some guys like to use mesh netting or leaves to give it a sort of pattern but it isn't rocket science.

The paint does a good job with preventing rust and of course making the gun harder to spot.

I guarantee that your hunting rifle will not see harder use than our M40's and MK.11's and the spray paint holds up fine for us. I will never buy duracoat after seeing how easy and effective normal spray paint is.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
AK103K, birds see colors. So, camo is a Good Thing when bird hunting. The wildlife boffins claim that doves will spook at blue; I don't guess that anybody knows why, though.

Critters generally see everything in shades of gray. They can easily spot shiny things, like a hunter's face or a bright-surface firearm. For deer or coyotes, a matte finish is plenty good.

Although, my bright, shiny Weatherby Mark V has done in a fair number of deer and coyotes. :D Sitting quite still and imitating a rock or stump seems to be the best camouflage.

Saltydog235

Duracoat is easy to apply and looks great. I also love my Savage Predator in .243 with the brush finish but I use it for deer hunting as much as anything. I credit some of last season's sucess to having a gun that blends in to our permanant stands better than the black tube sticking out since a lot of time the first thing deer do is look at the stand when they come out. Then again, sometimes animals just don't pay attention to any of it if you're careful with your scent and sitting still.

Its more about personal prefence than anything else.

FYI I know of a Predator in .22-250 that is in great shape for $550.00 if you're interested.

AK103K

Sitting quite still and imitating a rock or stump seems to be the best camouflage.
I agree, camo or not. Your hands (along with whats in them) and head are probably the biggest giveaway and least addressed either way too.

Color vision or not, shapes also come into this, and things that dont look like they belong can also be an issue. Outline break up is equally, if not more important as color. The best camo Ive used for animals has been the old ASAT pattern. Its usually what I was wearing when the deer have come in the closest and I wasnt in a stand. It also works very well with people, as it doesnt blob at a distance, like most of the other patterns. Its very effective at breaking outlines. In the tan base, its not quite the chameleon that Multicam is, but its pretty close.

Keg

AK103K....Put that black in a dark setting instead..early morning..late evening..edge of the woods....The black gun may stick out less....

dalegribble

i wonder how the old timers practicaly exterminated bison, wolves, bears, mt lions, elk and other animals with only wood stocked and blued rifles? oh, and no camo clothes, pop up blinds, tree stands or game calls either! all camo of course.

Keg

This thread is about a gun for coyotes(varmint gun)...Varmints tend to be a little tougher to hunt....I wear full camo....If the gun were $50 to $75 more I would go camo...$350 seems excessive....

AK103K

This page gives a good idea as to how break up works color or not. Check out the "camo" pattern about 2/3's the way down. :)

Also notice what sticks out the most in all the pics.

http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.html

i wonder how the old timers practicaly exterminated bison, wolves, bears, mt lions, elk and other animals with only wood stocked and blued rifles? oh, and no camo clothes, pop up blinds, tree stands or game calls either! all camo of course.
Theres no doubt that people have taken critters in all sorts of attire and by all means.

A lot of this is also about what you hunt (or are being hunted by), how you hunt, and how close you actually want to get. Not everyone is hunting out of a heated shack (seems to be the preferred method around here, and most still wear cammies :)) or a tree stand, or driving the herds into a trap.

Many if not most states require orange be worn during certain seasons too, but I really dont call those seasons "hunting". As far as orange is concerned, which would you say is the better choice, full orange, or orange with a pattern on it?

Oh, and as far as coyotes go, all I have to do is tie a live chicken in a tree by its feet, and sit on the back porch. I use the house pattern as my camo and they still come running. I use the carport pattern for rabbits and chucks in the garden too. :D

jsimmons

Check out this free Windows application (I developed it). It lets you use a picture of your local landscape, determines the dominant colors in that picture, and matches those colors to the nearest selected paint system colors (Duracoat, Cerakote, Krylon, etc). It then creates an image of a painted rifle and overlays it on the landsscape image so that you can see how effective the colors are. If you want to select different colors, you can.

It's quite the cool little application, if I do say so myself. :)

CamoPicker

jsimmons

Camo is more for humans than for animals. Most animals use motion and/or scents to evaluate their environment. If you remain still, and if you're down-wind, you can pretty much stand right next to a wild animal, and they won't notice or perceive you as a threat.

I hated the camo sticker that came on my savage predator hunter, so I removed the stock, taped up all the holes and recoil pad, and used two rattle cans from walmart. I didn't like how slick the stock was so one can was that stone stuff... Was really easy and doesn't look too shabby for my first time. If I knew how to post pics I would.