Camo or not

4runnerman

Hey all. Getting ready to buy a new Yote rifle in a 243.
Question is

Do i spend the extra to get one all camo ready or save 350.00 and do it myself(which i have not the foggiest idea how to do). Camo choice is a heavy barrel and non-camo is just a run of the mill. My thoughts are a heavy barrel would be nice,but for yote hunting only i don't see myself in a situation where i will heat barrel up any how. Both rifles are very accurate so that is not a issue.

Also--Any tips on doing a camo job would be nice. Do i tape up tip of barrel and action ,and just spray away?.

To spend the extra 350.00 is not big deal either,just looking for advice.

OEF-Vet

If you choose to camo yourself I suggest Duracoat
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

It's easy to use, is designed specifically for guns and has many kit options. There are a lot of pattern specific videos on youtube you can check out.

However I don't like the Preval sprayer, You can't adjust the flow. I would advise gettin a cheap airbrush. I borrowed a Testors one for models from my Nephew after having problems with the preval throwing way to much paint, and it worked great.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I never have seen the point in worrying about camo when hunting coyotes. Gun, clothing, whatever. Waste of time and effort. The absence of camo has never kept me from calling Wily Coyote in and shooting him.

Dull, earth-toned clothes. Pick the right spot for concealment and wind direction and sit still. Call. Shoot Wily.

My coyote rifles include an AR, an old Sako Forester carbine .243 and a Ruger light sporter in .223. They all work just fine, "as is".

The .243 seems to be rather ruinacious. Tends to fertilize a half an acre with coyote parts. :D

jmr40

I'm not a fan of bright shiny finishes on guns, but don't care for camo on my guns either. Even on shotguns for turkey hunting. I really prefer the matte finishes used on most newer guns.

Edward429451

I camo'd my SG before and never done it before. It was pretty easy. Strip it, sand it, and use od green as the base coat and add brown-black-yellow to stripe it. You can cut patterns out of those manila folders to make your lightning bolts or whatever and just move the patterns over the stock spraying and switching colors. If it was summer you could use some local leaves to pattern it. I got my milspec paint at wally world.

After the patterns on you subdue it by spraying black in short bursts from 18-24" away to speckle it. Practice on a 2 X 4.

Kreyzhorse

People have successfully hunted for years without a camo rifle. In my opinion, I wouldn't spend any extra money for a factory camo.

If you really want camo, you can certainly do it yourself. The internet is a great source of how to.

Zach W.

Shot my last yote at 15 yards wearing a blaze orange coat and blaze orange hat.

Sit still. Wait till head is turned before moving.

the rifleer

I would gladly accept $350 worth of ammo over a camp paint job. I don't think its worth it. I don't even like camp painted guns usually.

Big Shrek

Hrm...I think I'd just buy a Marlin X-7C (camo) in .243 for $350...
freeking things outshoot much more expensive rifles anyway...sub MOA for low cash...gotta luv it!!

Part number...XS7 - .243 Win. (70393)

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7c.asp

Or heck, get a regular one for $300 & slap one of the Boyd's Camo Thumbhole stocks on it for $99...
http://www.gunsamerica.com/90510744...s/Modern/Bolt-Pump/MARLIN_XS7_243_CAL_NEW.htm

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FT-MARLIN-XS7-SA-FBC-FC-F-p/606-124.htm

AK103K

Ive been painting guns since the 60's. Its easy, and with the right paints, its not permanent, and they can be completely removed later.

As far as effectiveness while hunting, Ive always found its helped more than its hurt, and especially when hunting birds. If youre wearing cammies, that unpainted gun tends to stick out, especially when its moving.

This was my last paint job, my M&P15 in Multicam.....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Camo is and never was anything important to me for hunting.
Yes I did wear "Cammies" in The Crotch, but that was pushed on me. I wore my regular Utilities as long as possible. As a former USMC expert pistol and rifleman, I don't see how camo applied to or painted on any of my firearms are going to make a difference on what I choose to shoot.

Wetley49

Ak103k..... Very impressive paint job.

My turkey gun is a black supernova. My other turkey gun is a matte finish on metal and grey laminated stock. I've never hunted with a true camo gun but I could honestly see where it would make a difference with spooky game. I'd do a camo job myself before I paid for the mark-up on retail.

Mobuck

I like the newer stretchy camo tape that doesn't stick to the gun-only to itself. I have a couple of rifles that were camo'd for 2 or more years w/o any rust issues using this product. In the old days, the stick on tape was the only option and I found it did hold moisture and cause rust.
I feel there is merit to camo on the firearm but concede that movement is the great sin with any game.

arch308

If you really want camo I'd suggest tape on wraps that can be removed. If you do everything right when calling yotes it's not really necessary. But it don't hurt either. JMHO

L_Killkenny

Plus one for Art. Camo is very over rated. I don't like black plastic stocks but then again good ol' vet wrap works just fine.

LK

AK103K

Camo is very over rated.
Oh, I dont know.That black sure stands out, and its not even moving. :)

ry%3D400

You dont even have to get fancy with the paint, a good light base and break the outline, and you'd be amazed at how well it works.

I camo my rifles/shotguns with...

slip on/off sleeves made by Beartooth, of neoprene (waterproof)

Comes in several patterns.

One piece is a barrel cover. Second piece covers the forearm. Third piece covers the buttstock from recoil pad to pistol grip.

A scope cover is a separate item, and comes in several sizes.

Costs about $30 for the 3 pc. set, and another $15, or so, for the scope cover.

No paint, no adhesives.Works for me.

If you have a glossy wood finish, and/or deep satin blue metal, protects from nicks and scratches.

Put it on or take it off in less than 5 minutes. Very little fuss and bother.

Doesn't cost $350 dollars, either!:D

Available from Bass Pro, and others.

The photo above is impressive but is that what a coyote actually sees? Doesn't a coyote get called in so it approaches a hunter from the muzzle end? Therefore the animal really sees little to none of the camo which is pictured in the side view?

Big Shrek

Depends on how the coyote comes in...they often don't show up from the direction you expect 'em ;)

I use a shooting blind with net windows, so it doesn't matter, he ain't gonna see squat until its too late ;)

Hidden guns don't need camo...LOL...so they can run nekkid & naughty!
fullsize