Calling My Fellow Single Stack Users

Single Six

Doc Intrepid and Catfishman: I totally agree, and the likelihood of such a thing happening is pretty small.....but "a really bad day" can happen at any time, to anyone.

Ace_Breaker

Hk P7m8 one mag.

I personally don't know any civilians who have needed to reload during a gun battle. Police and military is a different story.

5whiskey

I carry a Kahr CW9 7+1. Some days I carry a reload in a pocket. Most days I don't. If I'm going to my jurisdiction, and I know I will have down time and may want to get some plain clothes action on the street, then I'll carry the reload.

Dwight55

Going to the village, . . . 1911 and one mag.

Going to the city, . . . 1911 and 2 mags or XD and two mags.

Travelling, . . . all the above, . . . plus a 100 rd count box of spares, . . . all 4 XD mags, . . . all 4 1911 mags.

May God bless,
Dwight

Single Six

Ace Breaker: I concur. I work in LE full-time, and the possibility does exist for me to encounter gangs of my "clients" while on my own time...indeed, it's already happened [but just so I'm clear on this, it's happened without violence so far...and I truly hope it remains thus]. Being recognized as an off-duty cop by a large group of thugs can be truly unsettling, and doubly so when you know from prior dealings that they're likely armed. When such a situation occurs, I make every effort to find someplace else to be.:)

When carrying my 1911 or P220, I usually have one extra mag on me and another in my truck. Once in a long while, I'll stick a second magazine in my jacket pocket.

Ringolevio

In today's world, be ready for ANYTHING

Doc Intrepid:
I can't recall ever reading about a civilian in the US, in a non-law enforcement encounter, who needed more than two magazines of ammunition in a personal defense situation.

It might happen, sure, but unless you have 'special issues' going on in your life, I'd think that one spare magazine would be all you'd likely need (or have time to use) in a gunfight.

Doc and many others here can't seem to think beyond one "encounter" in the course of one's day, and seem to assume they will always be able to return (home) to their main ammo supply.

That's not the world we live in today. I carry because anything can happen, and that anything takes in a lot of territory (terrorism, to name just one; natural disasters that cause a breakdown in the social order, to name another).

Lord Baden-Powell, founder of the Boy Scouts, was asked what the motto "Be Prepared" meant to be prepared for. His answer: "For any old thing."

I like to think I'm prepared not just to resist a criminal attack, but to fight my way home (or to some other refuge) if necessary. A handgun is supposed to be what you use to fight your way to your long gun. That's why, in my vehicle, I'll have a reliable carbine with a couple of 20 rd. mags and lots more rounds (as well as more handgun rounds). I also have water and protein bars and such (not to mention a CB, sleeping bag, tarps, batteries, matches, TP, gloves, First Aid etc. I should have a gas mask and NBC gear). If I can't get home, I'm still self-reliant.

So, with a concealed 1911 and 2 spare mags, am I nuttier than a guy with a single reload, or none? Well, ever since the Boy Scouts, I've tried to "be prepared" for just about anything, and now, in my "golden years" (Ha!) I think that attitude has served me well.

It's a jungle out there...

Last edited:

KyJim

I rarely carry an extra mag, even if carrying a pistol with 6+1 rounds. It would be more prudent to carry an extra mag no matter how many rounds it holds. Mags are the weakest link in a semi-auto pistol.

I seriously question the need for civilians to carry more than one extra mag (or a backup instead). Sure, more is better. Bigger is better. Faster is better. Just hard to pack a belt fed .50 BMG.

Don P

Doc and many others here can't seem to think beyond one "encounter" in the course of one's day, and seem to assume they will always be able to return (home) to their main ammo supply.

That's not the world we live in today. I carry because anything can happen, and that anything takes in a lot of territory (terrorism, to name just one; natural disasters that cause a breakdown in the social order, to name another).

I have to ask, how many times have you stepped out of your home and into the apocalypse??? The situations you are describing are extreme, are they not?
More than one encounter in one day, How often has that happened to ANY member of this forum????:rolleyes:
To each their own as they say.

Doc Intrepid

Hmmmmm...

Ringolevio said:
"...Doc and many others here can't seem to think beyond one "encounter" in the course of one's day, and seem to assume they will always be able to return (home) to their main ammo supply....I like to think I'm prepared not just to resist a criminal attack, but to fight my way home...I should have a gas mask and NBC gear..."
I think that if I were unlucky enough to get caught up in one gunfight, and then - after my lawyer and I finally depart the company of the local constabulary after several hours of unpleasant conversation - I find myself in a second 'encounter' in the course of my day, I'm having a seriously depressing day!

I no doubt did something terribly evil in a former lifetime, and should consider taking up smoking crack and worshipping satan.

I wonder how many civilians in the US have ever had to deal with two (or more) completely random gunfights in one day? I'm not sure that any empirically valid data exists for that eventuality, however, I suspect it doesn't occur very frequently.

If you seriously believe you should ensure each day that you have a gasmask with you and nuclear, biological, or chemical warfare attire to don in the event you encounter one of those, I must concede that you are indeed far better prepared than I am. I suppose that if one day I encounter a nuclear, biological, or chemical war I will rue the day I decided not to prepare for one, however, until then I live in an area where such things have not happened in the last several thousand years, and thus have chosen to leave my gasmask at home.

As they say, though, to each their own.

But if you're going to really gear up for NBC environments, don't forget your Mark I kit atropine injections. By the time you discover you're in an NBC environment, you'll need them to be able to complete donning your mask and your overgarment. "For want of a nail,..." as they say.

Best with that,

Doc

Ace_Breaker

Ace Breaker: I concur. I work in LE full-time

Thanks brother. You just don't hear about too many shootings with a reload. I'm sure they happen, but not too often in the civilian world from what I've seen. Half the problem is where people are hanging out and what they are doing. I normally go to safe places that are not know to be problematic. It's common sense. If you want problems, go to problem areas and do things that draw out criminal activity. Normally I think one 8 round mag is totally acceptable in my area. If I need to go to downtown Seattle I might take an extra mag or a bug though.

hoytinak

Both my main conceal carry guns are single stack (Ruger LCP for pocket & Kahr CW9 for IWB depending on which one I feel like carrying that day) and I don't carry a spare mag with either one.

Now if I am traveling a long distance I will conceal carry my HK USP Compact 9mm but even then I don't carry a spare mag.

Ringolevio

Be prepared for the unthinkable

'Sounds as if the "worst case scenarios" of Don P and Doc Intrepid just don't go as far as mine do. And/or they have far more faith in the stability of the social order, and of modern life in general.

I guess the folks in the World Trade Center didn't see the need to have, say, a pocket flashlight, because statistically there was little or no probability that they might have to walk down 50 or more flights of stairs in the dark.

By my reckoning, to make the decision to take personal responsibility for your own safety and to choose to carry a lethal weapon at all times is already "thinking the unthinkable" and being prepared for it. So why would you want to limit just how unthinkable a situation you're willing to be prepared for?

If you lived in Israel, for example, you might very well think it prudent to have your rifle and gas mask with you at all times; to do otherwise might mean you were in denial of reality. But of course, life in America could never be like that, could it?

Some folks carry a gun but still wear rose-colored glasses.

PanBaccha

Whenever I have to travel more than 40 miles I normally carry two mags each for my firearms: (1) S&W 457 extra mag of 10 rds; (2) Rugers LCP 380 extra mag of 10 rds. But usually its just one mag that accompanies me.

Last edited:

HKGuns

I carry one bullet in the chamber, that is all I require. If that isn't enough to do the job they're getting a beat down.

Cemo

For the rare occasions when I only carry a mouse gun, yeah an extra mag. for sure. Larger gun, an extra mag, or the mouse gun as a back up/reload. Carring just my Ruger SP101 I'll have a speed strip.

csmsss

Better to have and not need, than need and not have (at least as far as I'm concerned). And that means I carry as many spare mags as I can get away with. It all depends on the circumstances, so there's no definite count on the number I'll have with me at any particular time.