Calling My Fellow Single Stack Users

Single Six

When I'm not carrying a DA revolver off-duty, I'm toting a Ruger P-90. As we all know, using a single-stack magazine really limits the amount of ammo you have on hand...or at least, it does when compared to a double stack Glock 21 or Springfield XD. I typically only carry one spare mag for the P-90, but I'm seriously considering carrying at least one more. On the other hand, I've heard of some .45 shooters that carry as many as four spares, which strikes me as a bit impractical. My question to other single stack folks: How many reloads do you typically carry?

SilentHitz

I've been carrying a 1911 for decades, and never needed more than the 1 mag. in the pistol. When traveling a good distance from home I put 2 spares in the pouch on a jackass shoulder rig. Anyone who carries 4 spare mags. ( and isn't going to some kind of competition match), must live in a REALLY bad neighborhood LOL.

WVsig

I carry a 1911, P220 & P245 when I do I carry the gun 8+1 in the chamber nothing more. I also carry a Kahr CW9 7+1.

For me the fact I am carrying is putting me in a much better position than 99% of people out there and the treat I will be facing is will be a single attack maybe 2 not a zombie hoard so I am comfortable with my single stacks.

Adding another mag IMHO takes away from the point of a slim easy to carry single stack.

rigby06

I generally carry what is in the weapon, sometimes I will add the +1 but most of the time just the magazine capacity weather that be 7 or 8. I also carry a SW 642 snub nose revolver and that has only 5. Every once and a while I will carry with the weapon and extra magazines, but most of the time I don't.

Doc Intrepid

Realistically speaking, if you are an average guy in an average US city, (that is, you don't deal dope, flip off bikers, engage in criminal enterprises for fun and profit, or consort with marginalized citizens) and you can't resolve a social dispute with two full magazines of ammo, you're having a really bad day.

I can't recall ever reading about a civilian in the US, in a non-law enforcement encounter, who needed more than two magazines of ammunition in a personal defense situation.

It might happen, sure, but unless you have 'special issues' going on in your life, I'd think that one spare magazine would be all you'd likely need (or have time to use) in a gunfight.

JMHO. YMMV.

pelo801

i carry a PPS in .40 S&W. that gives me 6+1, and spare mag with 5 rounds. i never feel like i don't have enough ammo on me.

Single Six

Doc Intrepid: I see your point and I agree...I just like to try to cover as many bases as I can. Getting involved in any LE situations while I'm off-duty is not in my plans...UNLESS I find myself caught up in one of those "active shooter" incidents while on my own time. Seems to me that it's better to have too much ammo than not enough.

DasGuy

I'd carry a spare mag wether my gun held 7 rounds or 20. I don't see any good reason not to. It's not like it's hard to carry one, and there's reasons you might need it besides running out of ammo in the first mag. Plus, it helps balance out the weight of the gun a little bit.

I'm also not some DELTA SWAT commando that could easily make those perfect hits while someone was in the process of trying to kill me.

Last edited:

AK103K

If you carry an auto loader, since the mags are weakest point in the hardware, its just common sense to carry a spare mag.

If theres a problem with the mag in the gun or a stoppage, how do you plan on dealing with it? Or is that just something you dont worry about or havent planned for?

I carried a 1911 most of my life, and always carried at least one reload, and usually two.

When I went to guns with higher cap mags, I did the same, and still do. Regardless of capacity, there is a basic protocol for a stoppage in an auto loader, and it requires a reload to implement. Even then, its not the best under stress, but its a lot better than asking the other side to hold up while you try and figure out why your guns not working.

Single Six

Dasguy: A belated "welcome to TFL". I'm no SWAT guy either; in fact I'm just a "slick sleeved tail light chaser" with no delusions of grandeur as it pertains to my capabilities. But I do think spare mags are a good idea, even for non-LE folks, so you and I are on the same page. :)

Single Six

Don P: I agree. Notice that I said I try to cover as many bases as I can; I never said "all". I don't know of anyone who could actually do it either...but from his articles, I think Massad Ayoob comes awful close.

Doc Intrepid

I think that as a LEO, even off-duty, you have a higher than average chance of either encountering someone you've previously annoyed, or else a situation where you are obliged to respond - therefore you don't really fall into the "civilian" category. Because you could be held to a higher standard, you would likely be wiser to carry a couple spare magazines, rather than an ammo load that might work for a civilian.

Just an opinion...

ang4me

Okay, I'll fess up. I usually carry 2 spare mags for my 1911. But I have a good excuse, honest! Well first of all, this is downtown Atlanta and we have a lot of gang violence (2 delta employees vs. 20 thugs in a beatdown on Marta last week). But mainly I carry 2 spare mags because I prefer to carry spare mags in a mag pouch rather than pocket, and my only mag pouch right now is a 2-mag pouch (for IDPA). It's got 2 slots, so why not fill 'em up? :D

I think that as a LEO, even off-duty, you have a higher than average chance of either encountering someone you've previously annoyed, or else a situation where you are obliged to respond - therefore you don't really fall into the "civilian" category. Because you could be held to a higher standard, you would likely be wiser to carry a couple spare magazines, rather than an ammo load that might work for a civilian.

Just an opinion...

Dark...Deep...FACT!