Caliber VS Capacity

Bigger caliber less capacity or smaller caliber more capacity?

• More rounds, smaller caliber

Votes: 77 36.2%
  • Less rounds, larger caliber

Votes: 136 63.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rude robert

Wow, you guys are lucky to have such a problem like what caliber and capacity to choose from! Here in commcalifornia we have to just let them do to us as they will

hondauto

I have the choice of both in my gun safe.
I CCW daily with my 14 round 9mm subcompact with HP ammo.
I also have a full size .45 with 4" barrel and 9 rounds HP ammo.
I shoot at the range proficiently with both.
If I had to choose only one way to CCW and no options.I chose the .45 with 9 rounds due to the comes in 3 rule.3 feet,3 seconds,3 shots.
If I were unfortunate enough for multiple BG encounters,I have one extra 8 rnd mag and my 2 feet(hopefully).

wonderfvl

I didn’t vote, but I read every post. Over the years, and even day to day, I cannot make up my mind which is best for carry. For carry choice, I currently weigh caliber, comfort, & conceal ability. I tend to carry my 3” 1911 in .45 the most and sometimes alternate that with a smaller 9mm. However, I’m really concerned how I’d fair under a stressful BG situation, so quantity is comforting to my mind. But I limit my carry of a high cap .45/9mm, because they just don’t conceal well on my frame. One day, I may have to try a .40.

.357SIG

If discussing rounds from 9mm to .45, I'd rather have capacity over anything else. If discussing other uses than defense, it would depend a lot.

CDW4ME

My most frequently carried pistols have a magazine capacity of 7 or 9 rounds. That is either 7 +1 Kimber 45 acp or a 9 +1 Glock 27 40 S&W.

I typically "appendix carry" or use a "Smartcarry"; so, concealibility is an obvious factor, but these choices lean toward caliber over capacity.

Andrewsmith1

New member here. I didn't vote because it depends on the situation. During the winter with a heavy coat and heavy cloths on I can carry my Tuarus PT92 with 2 17 round mags and 2 15 round mags for a total of 65 rounds of 9mm along with a Ruger LCP in .380 auto in my pocket with 2 6 round mags. During the warmer months I can't really conceal a full size pistol so the Ruger is my primary gun. High capacity or large caliber is worthless if you can't hit your target. I personally would choose a .22 long rifle round if that was the only gun that I could actually hit my target with.

mathman

Is it not possible to shoot accurately (and slowly if needed) even when your gun holds 15 rounds?

I understand arguing for your preference, but it seems that some people must assume that all high capacity shooters are somehow less accurate only because their gun holds more ammunition.

This argument doesn't make any sense. If you like your 7 shot .45 or your 6 shot 38 special, please don't assume that people who shoot 15+ round 9mm are somehow inferior marksmen.

ksblazer

I guess it depends on the situation I'm in.

From reading about the 3 3's study as well. I'm most interested in a gun that I can bring into action quickly and get hit's with. So if there is most likely only going to be 3 shots fired (and Hopefully, I'll be firing all 3) I prefer to use a larger caliber bullet.

I believe it's been said that people who have been in a gunfight never wish for a smaller caliber. But it was also mentioned that you never wish for less capacity either.

So here is my take. For my boring low profle life I feel fine with carrying a lower capacity larger caliber concealable pistol. Now If I were in a military or law enforcement situation. I'd probably opt for the slightly smaller caliber and larger capacity pistol, as I would face a higher likelyhood of facing multiple threats.

Deja vu

in most civilian shootings there is a very limited number of shots. That being the case I pick size.

If I was in combat things may be different.

AK103K

in most civilian shootings there is a very limited number of shots.
This is the problem I have with this argument. It always assumes you'll be one of the "most".

For some reason, Ive always had bad luck with statistics, and because of it, always tend to prep for the worst case in most things.

I keep a sleeping bag and get home/stay in place bag in my car, a spare as well as some fix a flat, things like that, and Ive never been sorry they were there.

I normally carry a high cap pistol, along with reloads for it, and I carry a BUG. If things stay within statistical probability, Im golden, if they go out of spec, Im probably at least still in the silver range, and I doubt I'll be sorry I had them along. :)

The real answer here is, do what you think best for you and what your comfortable with. What works for one may not fit the lifestyle of another. As long as you keep that in mind, and realize that statistics are just that, maybe you wont become another one. Even if it is one in the lower percentile.

Ken - Oh

I read an article recently by one of the gun experts and he asserted that it's almost unheard of for someone to use more than 5 rounds in a self defense situation (personal, not LE). That seems logical to me. So I opt for a 45 acp Kimber with 8+1 capacity.

That's been my way of thinking, preferring performance over quantity (5 rounds of .357 or 8 rounds of .45). The old "double tap" approach.

However, in a recent discussion on another board, we got into discussing how the FBI Quantico report emphasizes how hard it is to hit anything vital enough for a fast stop. In most cases, a CNS (central nervous system) hit is required for an immediate stop. A few good COM (center of mass) hits may not do any immediate good if they do not hit the CNS, which is a very small target. With that in mind, assuming you do make good COM hits, it may be critical to have multiple COM hits to improve the odds of making a CNS hit. Instead of double taps, I'm thinking more of 5-6 quick shots.

With that in mind, I've started carrying my Sig 228 (13 round 9mm).

Ken

How 'bout more rounds, larger caliber. My "serious social occasions" piece is a Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro, 11 rds of .45 230-gr Federal Tactical Bonded. :cool:

Deja vu

This is the problem I have with this argument. It always assumes you'll be one of the "most".

For some reason, Ive always had bad luck with statistics, and because of it, always tend to prep for the worst case in most things.

I keep a sleeping bag and get home/stay in place bag in my car, a spare as well as some fix a flat, things like that, and Ive never been sorry they were there.

I normally carry a high cap pistol, along with reloads for it, and I carry a BUG. If things stay within statistical probability, Im golden, if they go out of spec, Im probably at least still in the silver range, and I doubt I'll be sorry I had them along.

The real answer here is, do what you think best for you and what your comfortable with. What works for one may not fit the lifestyle of another. As long as you keep that in mind, and realize that statistics are just that, maybe you wont become another one. Even if it is one in the lower percentile.

by that same logic you still may want bigger because of the small chance that the bad guy may be wearing a flack vest. A bigger caliber with more power such as a 357 compared to a 9mm is more likely to stop the bad guy or at least slow/knock him down to get in a head shot.

I know in my case I cant realistically carry more than a pocket gun because of how I have to dress for work.

In truth having a gun on you of any kind makes you more prepared than 95% of the people out there. There is no way you can plan for every thing and some shooting situations no gun will help. I saw go with what works and prepares you for the majority of incidents ad hope god helps out with the rest.

WildBill45

This is not a real issue!

That is why they make extra magazines! If you miss a lot you have extra ammo without carrying huge guns that you will leave behind in the summer. Less capacity but more stopping power makes for an effective CCW gun, with a spare mag in the pocket. If you are on duty as a cop, then large capacity is more effective since you are carrying out in the open in a duty holster. So get a large caliber-high-capacity duty gun as well! There is no such thing as too much stopping power if you can shoot it as well. Big bullets make them go all gooey and quit thinking about hurting you before they die...

No worries mate ... EXTRA MAGAZINES!!! OR Moon-clips!

Shoot Big, Think Big, Live Big!!!

GO STEELERS!!!

Last edited:

rigby06

depends on the situation

Beside the bed stand a .40 with 15 rounds.

When carrying concealed I carry whatever I am in the mood for, 8+1 .45, a 15+1 9mm; or a 5 shot .38 special, I have no problem in trusting my life to any of them, I can shoot reasonable well with all of them.

Years ago I was robbed at gun point, when I used to deliver pizza, they wanted the food and the money I was caring, there was 3 of them, they had what looked to be a 38, did not look real, but I was not willing to challenge that, gave them the money and pizza, one smacked me in the head as they were running off. No injuries, it was only food; and a little more than $20. I was not caring a gun at that time, and was not worth risking my life for pizza. Now I try and be more aware of my surroundings, I have never had to use a weapon on a person, and I hope I never do. but now I am also of the mind hope for the best and plan for the worst, that is why you can go to almost any room in my house and you will some kind of weapon in it. ;)

ATW525

Excuse me but .38, .357, .380 and 9 mm are all the same size of .356. I do believe that 9mm Nato FMJ is hotter than a .357 I know a +P+ 9 mm is for sure.

Winchester rates the 127gr +P+ 9mm at 1250fps. Most factory loads for 125gr .357 are rated at 1450fps. How is 127 grains at 1250fps hotter than 125 grains at 1450fps? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.