Caliber VS Capacity

Bigger caliber less capacity or smaller caliber more capacity?

• More rounds, smaller caliber

Votes: 77 36.2%
  • Less rounds, larger caliber

Votes: 136 63.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutGuy

Would you rather have a bigger caliber with less capacity or vice versa?

Me personally, I owned a Glock 26 with 10 rounds of 9mm. Now I carry a Glock 39 with 6 rounds of .45. :cool:

Xfire68

If you can't hit what your aiming at it does not matter what caliber it is!

More chances in some cases is a much better option than low capacity and large caliber.

ep2621

Good question.
I guess I prefer the largest caliber I can shoot accurately (follow up shots included). For some guns it's .45 and some guns it's 9mm. With guns like the Glock I find the .45 just as controllable as the 9mm. In that case I would choose the .45. In a small revolver I like the 38 over the .357.
Being that I started out shooting 1911s and revolvers capacity isn't a deciding factor for me.
Bottom line: proficiency beats caliber and capacity

Sevens

I carry a Glock 29 and practice with it often. I'm very, very happy with how well I can shoot this pistol. It holds 10+1.

I know for a fact that I cannot shoot it as quickly as a 9mm. That's the only concern I have. If I had to find a reason to carry a 9mm instead of my 10mm, it wouldn't be for more ammo -- it would be to be able to double or triple tap more quickly.

I think there is definitely something to be said for a certain capacity -- but that number is up to the guy carrying it. I did a handgun swap with a guy and received a very nice S&W Model 60, 5-shot J-frame .357 Magnum. He liked the revolver and carried it 100% of the time but he had a run-in with three younger (and motivated) guys and he felt undergunned with only 5 shots and three adversaries.

I met this man -- 6 foot 7 and 300+ pounds. When three guys came at HIM, I'm sure they meant business.

I've always thought that 5 or 6 shots from a revolver would be enough -- I am confident in my skills, I've never been the "spray and pray" type. But this guy's words are something I won't ever forget.

WANT A LCR 22LR

It depends on the threat.

The old line of thinking seems to be that there will be one BG. Now, it seems that pairs working the street/ parking lot or 4 people are involved in home invasions. In the second case, more rounds would be better if you have to give up caliber.

This increase of BG unit size is why I'm considering forgoing the LCR and moving to a auto ( probably the LC9 or maybe SR9c )

Therealkoop

They are both important within reason.

I prefer larger caliber. But i wouldnt carry a .45acp if its max capacity was 2 or 3 for example. For the the small difference between 9, 40, and 45, ill take the .45 and drop 2 or 3 rounds.

JROD102

Caliber and capacity are no replacement for accuracy.

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.:D

iblong

For years I felt 5 were enough,But in this day and age of thuggs where gangs
single out single victoms,one man is beaten by 3or4 or more,home invations are done by multipal intruders my thinking has changed.
I pretty much run with 9 -45's or 10 -40's.
If I was going to carry a 9 Id want 15,but thats just one mans opinion.

skoro

I don't envision myself ever having to defend against a mob of attackers. My carry weapons have no more than 8rd capacity and I think it's more than sufficient.

I'll go for the larger caliber.

LordTio3

I like a nice balance... and I feel like in the past 10 years, we've made long strides toward balancing capacity and caliber. But if you're going to give me 5 .357 Magnum shots or 8 .32acp shots, I'm taking the Magnum loads.

~LT

therewolf

I'm using a 9mm high capacity for CCW when I determine the threat is
marginal. Then I only have to carry the gun with one mag. At 17 rounds,
it's almost three times the capacity of your average wheel gun.

When the threat is higher, I prefer the .45ACP, with extra mags.

Hunting, a .44.

It's a sad reflection upon society that I feel safer alone in the wild than around the most dangerous animal of all, man.

mes227

I read an article recently by one of the gun experts and he asserted that it's almost unheard of for someone to use more than 5 rounds in a self defense situation (personal, not LE). That seems logical to me. So I opt for a 45 acp Kimber with 8+1 capacity.

For hunting or protection in the woods, certainty 5 or 6 rounds are plenty. Thus I woods-carry either a 454 Casull, 44 Mag, 41 Mag or 45 Colt depending on where I am and which revolver I'm in the mood to carry. For hunting: 460 S&W Mag, 480 Ruger or 44 Rhino.

I guess I fall into the less rounds of bigger caliber class... but I live in a pretty small town & a low risk lifestyle... 99% of the time I feel adiquately protected by a 5 round revolver.... however I do have a double stack 10mm, a Compact double stack 9mm, & a 5.7 X 28 that could do CCW duty if I were heading into an area where I thought 5 rounds wouldn't be enough

Status
Not open for further replies.