Caliber choices for the real tiny ones...

Samopal

I'm probably one of the last supporters of the .32 Auto. FMJ loads out of pocket pistols get 13"+ of penetration consistently, and aren't shot placement and penetration the most important things in a defensive shooting? Given the FBI recommends 12" of penetration for handguns, a .32 Auto slug will kill someone just as dead as a 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 Auto if you learn to shoot it.

Another unpopular opinion I hold is that .45 Auto sucks somethin' awful out of short barrels. Velocity, energy and penetration plummet and reliability (in most subcompact .45 Auto platforms) suffers. You lose capacity and gain absolutely ****-all sticking .45 Auto in a tiny gun where a higher pressure, faster-burning cartridge like 9x19mm, .40 S&W or .357 SIG works just fine.

That brings me to my last point. .357 SIG is an absolute godsend to the subcompact auto market. A standard defensive 125gr .357 load performs identically to .357 Magnum out of those 2" snub revolvers that are so popular. Due to the faster-burning powder in the .357 SIG it also wastes less power and results in less recoil and report while getting the same results.

Let's use a Glock 33 are our auto example, eh? A G33 is about the same size as a snub-nosed .357 Mag J-frame or SP101, but lighter, and packs double the capacity (9+1 vs 5). So you have a lighter weapon of practically the same size with double the capacity, the same ballistic performance, and less recoil, noise and flash.

Here are some links regarding ballistic data for the .357 SIG and .357 Mag:
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357sig.html
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

darkgael

Mice

About the little .25
The Hornady XTP ammunition that I load it with registers 950 FPS on a chronograph. Speer's Gold Dot ammunition is only slightly less powerful at 875 FPS.
I kno that it goes bang but my feeling is that the little gun is best served by the standard 50 grain FMJ at 770+ fps. The newer rounds go faster but shoot a lighter bulletin at 35 grains. The 50 gr bullet has slightly more power even going slower.
Pete

Last edited:

Ben Dover

Darkgael.

I chose the higher velocity rounds for the ,25 on advice of several law enforcement agents. According to their experiences, the heavier FMJ rounds only register 750 FPS and are notorious of failing to penetrate skull bone.

kcub

I carry a Seecamp .32 in my back pocket. It is my backup/offhand gun. I've tried other options Micro Desert Eagle, Walther TPH, Sig 380, Keltec 380. I always wind up coming back to the Seecamp for that role.

arizona98tj

Another unpopular opinion I hold is that .45 Auto sucks somethin' awful out of short barrels. Velocity, energy and penetration plummet and reliability (in most subcompact .45 Auto platforms) suffers.

Plummet? Maybe plummet is a relative term and is interpreted differently by different people.

I question the use of the term "plummet" since this past week I got around to running my .45ACP Hornady carry rounds over my chronograph. Out of the 3.3" barrel of my Springfield XD-S....(they don't make too many other .45's any smaller or lighter), the Hornady loads clocked 851 FPS @ 10' from the muzzle. According to the specs on the ammo box (with no barrel length stated), Hornady claims 900 FPS at the muzzle.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a 49 FPS drop in velocity as plummeting....and certainly not in the "sucks" category. I doubt you could tell the difference if getting hit with two bullets, one at 900 and the other at 851 FPS. You stated your opinion is construed as unpopular.....maybe because the real numbers don't back it up?

I know you said "most subcompacts".....but the same round goes faster out of my other XD45 subcompact. (I picked the slowest velocity I've measured to date out of the four .45ACP pistols I own.) :)