Cabelas basic QC

Status
Not open for further replies.

T. O'Heir

"...Wonderful QC at Cabela's..." Cabela's manufactures nothing. They buy stuff and have their name slapped on. Same as Sears and all the other department stores did eons ago. And that 'combo' very likely did come from Remington with the scope mounted. Cabela's likely didn't even look at it.
As I recall, Remington has had all kinds of issues with their latest entry level hunting rifle called the Model 783. It's apparently nothing more than a variation of the Marlin XL7.
"...Where is your lapping bar?"..." You may want to look into what 'lapping' entails. It has nothing to do with mounting a scope.
"...Sierra Game King bullet that key holed..." There are several reason for key holing. Wrong bullet diameter, usually undersized. An oversize barrel, for whatever reason. Excessively low velocity. And in the case of cast bullets, a lack of lube.

Tallest

You may want to look into what 'lapping' entails. It has nothing to do with mounting a scope.

Plenty of folks will lap the rings when mounting a scope for the first time in new a new ring pair. I think that has something "to do with mounting a scope."

LineStretcher

Lapping the rings is often bypassed today. It is seen as something that has little or no use. I feel it does remain an important part of the scope mounting process. I think it's important in the sense that if done properly on a set of properly aligned rings, it can help to give a better fit between the scope and the rings thus eliminating or at least reducing small contact areas between the scope and ring. It's not done for alignment reasons. It's something that follows process and in as much if you try to lap a set of rings that are badly aligned, you can end up taking too much material off rendering the rings useless as they cannot be tightened enough to keep the scope from moving during firing.

As a related subject, bedding bases is also seen as something that is not necessary. I still do it in certain situations.

RC20

Unless it comes with the scope on it, I do my own.

Factory I take them apart and go over (if I use factory)

I don't expect counter people to be as invested as I am let alone doing X number a day.

LineStretcher

OK, going back to the original post. The rifle comes with the scope mounted from the factory so all the bad stuff about Cabela's messing it up is, well, wrong. Second, this rifle uses the same scope bases as a 700 and while you can reverse them in their front or rear positions, you cannot swap the front for the rear unless you leave one of the screws out on each end. SO, I believe that the OP may be mistaken about how the problem was resolved if it even occurred as stated.

Orion6

A 783 doesn’t have a high/low setup.

Factory mounted scopes of any brand are never “on” in my experience.

I have a 783 with factory mounts and Vortex scope. I loctited the bases, re-mounted the scope, boresighted myself and was 2” high and 1” left at the range first shot.

mehavey

the bad stuff about Cabela's messing it up is, well, wrong.
--- Wrong ---
Cabela's sold a defectively-assembled product regardless whether "they" did it.
Same as a new car dealer selling an easily identifiably defective car to John Q Public.
Cabela's QC-at-sales issue (or lack of it ) still stands at their wall of guns....
A $4.1Billion Sporting goods/firearms enterprise.

As to "that the OP may be mistaken about how the problem was resolved if it even occurred as stated."

Substitute "Rings" (clearly larger/smaller) for the term "bases" (which appeared identical)
Both problem and resolution when switched.

What I find fascinating is this set of bases ( as far as uniform height)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...e-weaver-style-scope-base-remington-783-matte

I'll wait for the kid to come out again / pictures.

Last edited:

LineStretcher

--- Wrong ---
Cabela's sold a defectively-assembled product regardless whether "they" did it.
Same as a new car dealer selling an easily identifiably defective car to John Q Public.
Cabela's QC-at-sales issue (or lack of it ) still stands at their wall of guns....
A $4.1Billion Sporting goods/firearms enterprise.

As to "that the OP may be mistaken about how the problem was resolved if it even occurred as stated."

Substitute "Rings" (clearly larger/smaller) for the term "bases" (which appeared identical)
Both problem and resolution when switched.

What I find fascinating is this set of bases ( as far as uniform height)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...e-weaver-style-scope-base-remington-783-matte

I'll wait for the kid to come out again / pictures.
Sorry, still don't buy it. If you take a medium ring and put it on the front and a high ring and put it on the rear, you'll never get it even close. If you put a high ring on the front and a low ring on the rear, same problem. Rings are not rifle specific, bases are and you cant put the rear base on the front or vice versa. To put this into perspective, a 20 moa base is about .030 taller in the rear. The difference between a medium and a high ring can be 1/4" or more. If a high ring was in the rear and a medium up front you'd be shooting at the sky and if they were reversed you'd be in the dirt between 25 and 50 yards from the bench (maybe less).

As for quality control.. It's not Cabela's job to test each rifle before it's sold or allow you to test drive it before you buy it. No gun shop I've ever bought a rifle from does that. A certain amount of responsibility falls upon the buyer and Remington has a warranty program that would cover this problem.

Where you could find fault with Cabela's is if this rifle was previously sold and returned and then resold without being thoroughly checked out. From what you describe, that could very well be the case. That, I would not put past them. I'm no fan of Cabelas gun department.

Status
Not open for further replies.