Cabelas basic QC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehavey

We had a young man at the range today with a brand new Rem 783/scope pre-assembled combo from Cabelas.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/REMINGTON-COMBO-CENTERFIRE-RIFLE/1999982.uts?slotId=0
He spent probably two relays without being able to get a round on the paper at 100 yards.
(Don't bother commenting at this point. I already know....)

Since the day was ending/getting dark/everyone else had left, the Range officer & I had had him pull
the target back to 25 -- and guaranteed him we'd have it on a 100 ±2" on the 3rd shot.

First -- simple bore sight:
Hmmmmm . . . . 14" low/13" right . . . at 25.
Ran out of elevation trying to adjust . . . .

Hmmmmm . . . . stand back at look at scope -- clearly aligned pointing to right along barrel. . . . and down
Hmmmmm . . . . look at scope mounts, 1 high/1 low . . . BassAackwards.

So we pull the scope & mounts, re-mount/re-verse/re-align and he's centered/1½ high at 100 on third shot.

Wonderful QC at Cabelas, maybe even Remington* if they shipped it assembled.
You could see the scope problem w/ the naked eye. . . . and it could NEVER have even remotely bore-sighted before sale.
No excuse.

(*postscript: the rifle wouldn't feed standard soft-tips from the magazine either.
Simply out standing)

Last edited:

Blindstitch

Well that sucks. Glad it's fixed now. Hope you informed him never to trust pre-assembled.

When I get guns, bows, crossbows... anything assembled by in house staff or could be bought separately I always take it back apart, loctite the screws that need to be loctited and reassemble.

On the other hand I bought a Diamond Edge Sb-1 bow new at Cabelas in August. They took me to the in house range and had me shoot it. The peep sight wasn't tied in and flew across the room. They quickly grabbed their house brand off the shelf and tied it in. Tighter axle to axle bows have the peep sight at a different angle than longer bows. So it was the wrong sight. When I found out I called the manufacture and they wouldn't send me the right one. Said I could go to any of their dealers and have one installed for free. I have all my own tools so back to square one. Removed anything they could have done and installed the right components myself.

FITASC

You're expecting minimum wage workers do something properly like you would get from professionals? Shocking I say!

reynolds357

We had a young man at the range today with a brand new Rem 783/scope pre-assembled combo from Cabelas.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/REMI...2.uts?slotId=0
He spent probably two relays without being able to get a round on the paper at 100 yards.
(Don't bother commenting at this point. I already know....)

Since the day was ending/getting dark/everyone else had left, the Range officer & I had had him pull
the target back to 25 -- and guaranteed him we'd have it on a 100 ±2" on the 3rd shot.

First -- simple bore sight:
Hmmmmm . . . . 14" low/13" right . . . at 25.
Ran out of elevation trying to adjust . . . .

Hmmmmm . . . . stand back at look at scope -- clearly aligned pointing to right along barrel. . . . and down
Hmmmmm . . . . look at scope mounts, 1 high/1 low . . . BassAackwards.

So we pull the scope & mounts, re-mount/re-verse/re-align and he's centered/1½ high at 100 on third shot.

Wonderful QC at Cabelas, maybe even Remington* if they shipped it assembled.
You could see the scope problem w/ the naked eye. . . . and it could NEVER have even remotely bore-sighted before sale.
No excuse.
Why in tarnation is it Cabellas fault? If you read the link you posted, it says "factory installed scope." Unless Cabellas manufactures for Remington, I would say big green is at fault. Why bash Cabellas? They didn't make it.

reynolds357

A while back I bought a rifle, bases, rings, and scope from my local mom and pops store. They said "We will install it for free." I said "OK. Where is your lapping bar?" Guy said "what bar?". I said "I will install it myself, thanks."

mehavey

Who SOLD it ?
...an easily discernible defective product.
Would you say the same of your local factory auto dealer ?

Crooked scope ...?
. . . Don't say that he's hypocritical
. . . Say rather that he's apolitical
. . . "Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down

That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun.

WoW.

mehavey

My condolences for your keyhole.
And you know the bullet was defective how ?
I said "OK. Where is your lapping bar?"
Most of the general publics have no clue what you just said
... and the general public is the customer at such commercial enterprises.

Do you personally pre-check tire alignment/toe-in when you drive off a new-car lot ?
Or do you a priori expect the front linkage to be correctly installed by the factory/checked by the competent dealer before sale?

Surely you expect a $4.1 billion (with a B) sporting goods & firearms business to be no less able (?)

Last edited:

jmr40

If the scope and mounts were that far off the purchaser should have caught it before paying for it. Sounds like a Remington problem, not Cabelas.

reynolds357

Do you personally pre-check tire alignment/toe-in when you drive off a new-car lot ?
Or do you a priori expect the front linkage to be correctly installed by the factory/checked by the competent dealer before sale?
I buy Chevrolet trucks. I blame "all" mechanical problems on G.M., not my dealer.

reynolds357

mehavey

My condolences for your keyhole.
And you know the bullet was defective how ?
Because, I have shot hundreds of those bullets with only one keyhole. If you shoot match long enough and weigh all your bullets, load the 1 in 5000 you find that is over 10 grains off and see what happens.

Cheapshooter

Remington® Model 783™ Bolt-Action Rifle and 3-9x40 Scope Combo
Mail-In Rebate
Adjustable CrossFire trigger system
Pillar-bedded stock and free-floated barrel
Precision button-rifled barrel
Detachable steel box magazine
Comfortable Super Cell recoil pad
Factory-installed 3-9x40 scope

Expect tight groups with a wide range of factory ammo with the sleek, tack-driving Remington Model 783 Bolt-Action Rifle and 3-9x40 Scope Combo. Custom-grade accuracy with a bolt-action design and now re-engineered onto a new platform. Remington's proprietary methods create the tightest tolerances from rifle to rifle. New stock design boasts striking lines. Pillar-bedded synthetic stock free-floats the barrels for spot-on shot-to-shot consistency. Premium carbon steel, magnum contour button-rifled barrel delivers tight groups. CrossFire™ trigger system is factory-set at 3.5 lbs. and adjustable from 2.5 lbs. to 5 lbs. Detachable steel box magazine. Comfortable Super Cell recoil pad. Factory-installed 3-9x40 scope.

Exactly where does it say "sighted in", or even "bore sighted"?
Ridiculous to blame the seller, or even the manufacturer. But maybe an important lesson for a new shooter. Properly sight in any gun if you want to hit where you aim.

Chainsaw.

My 6.5 rifle came with the scope mounted gratis. Shot great for a little while, then started wondering, took me a while to realize the base had worked loose. Popped it off, underneath was covered in oil, no lock tight on the screws. Ugg. Redid it all.... And yes I blame Cabela’s, or at least the young man who proudly proclaimed that “I do all the scope mounting around here because I’m the best at it” Shame on me for not catching that clue.

Blindstitch

Off the Cabela's website. Pretty sure if they boresighted the rifle for him they would have caught the other problems but maybe he didn't ask.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Store-Services/1728682380.uts

Need to get your gun on paper? Our Outfitters will mount and boresight your optics.

Free Boresighting for scopes purchased at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops*
Free Scope Mounting for scopes purchased at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops*
Free Holster Fitting
Third-party Gunsmith Available
Free Gun Lock with Firearm Purchase
Trade-Ins Welcome
We Pay Cash for Guns (Single firearms to full collections)
Free Firearms Appraisals
Online Firearms (New guns ship free to store)
Special Orders Available

Mobuck

{ I said "OK. Where is your lapping bar?" Guy said "what bar?". }

I've mounted dozens (maybe hundreds) of scopes and "don't have a lapping bar". The only issue in 50 years of scope mounting was with a pair of rings mis-packaged by the manufacturer. The customer took the rings home and cranked them down so hard he bent his scope tube. That cost me a replacement scope and new rings. After that episode, I mounted and bore sighted any package deals I sold.

FITASC

Surely you expect a $4.1 billion (with a B) sporting goods & firearms business to be no less able (?)

That is the amount of debt they have; which shows you just exactly how well they have been run since going public.......so, no I would not expect them to be able at most things.

reinert

I'll bet that young man was glad to get the help needed to getting his new rifle literally "straightened" out. Kudos to you and the range officer, mehavey. Have you stayed in touch with that young man? Mostly, after all this thread FUBAR on QC, and who's responsible, does the rifle shoot? For a rifle/scope combo for 300 bucks, and if the gun shoots, that's a hell of a deal, and all that really matters (IMO). What caliber is it? Just wondering...

Tallest

I'll bet that young man was glad to get the help needed to getting his new rifle literally "straightened" out. Kudos to you and the range officer, mehavey. Have you stayed in touch with that young man? Mostly, after all this thread FUBAR on QC, and who's responsible, does the rifle shoot? For a rifle/scope combo for 300 bucks, and if the gun shoots, that's a hell of a deal, and all that really matters (IMO). What caliber is it? Just wondering...
I'm prone to agree with reinert…

Every commercial and mechanical system on earth is set up and run by fallible humans. So mistakes are BOUND to happen, and expecting otherwise is patently irrational. Of course those mistakes are regrettable, but the flip side is our ability to correct them... and move on!

LineStretcher

Can someone tell me if the scope mounting screw spacing is identical on the front and rear mounts? I can't remember ever seeing that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.