buying myself a Henry Lever 22 for Christmas... what is your favorite ???

Obambulate

I have the Frontier model in .22 lr. I replaced the buckhorn rear sight with a Skinner peep sight. Very nice looking and accurate rifle. My wife doesn't like it because of the heavy barrel, but for an adult male, the extra heft makes for steady shooting.

FrankenMauser

It sounds like you're sold on the Henry, but I'm going to pretend your initial question was a little more ambiguous....

My favorite comes down to one thing: Do you like long-throw, or short-throw levers?

Long throw - Marlin
Short throw - Browning

I can't stand Henry's pot metal parts. There are three of the .22s in my family. That crappy alloy is starting to flake and crumble on one of them, and another has several cracks running between pin holes. :rolleyes:

wellll.... I'm really after a lever 22... but don't like the style that the trigger group moves with the lever ( isn't that how the Browning works... I think the Ruger too ??? )

I got no problem with the Marlin design... maybe sorting out the Remlins from the originals or possibly newer ( now better ??? ) ones...

I do understand the "pot metal" issues, the lower one in this pic, is actually an Ithica single shot, & it I think was originally just painted & is pretty scratched up... partly why I was looking at the Golden Boy... that & I don't have a Henry yet, & I think they are a well made AMERICAN company

Cowboyguns_zpsd3bab892.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

eastbank

i came apon two used winchesters 94/22,s,one a early .22 and the other a laminate .22 mag. cheaper that a what a new henry cost and snapped them up. and they are at the top of the line for lever action .22,s. i have three marlin 39,s that i also put right up there. so i don,t need any more lever actions. eastbank.

dgludwig

what is your favorite ???

A Marlin Model 39 for sure. All machined steel parts, forged steel receiver, genuine walnut stock and boat-loads of history. Annie Oakley never shot a New York Henry...:D

Hawg

The Golden Boys receiver color isn't painted. It is clear coated. The receiver under the cover is steel. You can get an engraved cover for it. This one is mine.

mxsailor803

39's are very nice. Too bad I never could find one with a decent price tag. It sucks when I can almost buy 2 Henrys for the price of 1 Marlin 39

Crankylove

There are three of the .22s in my family. That crappy alloy is starting to flake and crumble on one of them, and another has several cracks running between pin holes.

I own one of the Henry's Frankenmauser refers too. I bought it new about 8 years ago, have put several thousand rounds through it, and really, other than the finish issue referred to above, I haven't had any issues. At the time, I looked at Winchesters for $450, marlins for $500, Brownings for $550............and ended up going with the Henry for $186 out the door.

Put my Henry side by side with my older brothers Grade II BL-22, or my fathers Marlin 39A, and there is no contest on which ones have the better fit and finish, but my Henry seems to be every bit as reliable and accurate as the others. For the price I paid, I have zero complaints.

That said, if funds would have allowed it at the time, I would have gone with the Winchester or Browning.

az_imuth

There are three of the .22s in my family. That crappy alloy is starting to flake and crumble on one of them, and another has several cracks running between pin holes.
I visit the Henry forum nearly every day, as well as Marlin, Winchester etc. I have NEVER heard any report from a Henry owner claiming either of the two issues stated above. I own several lever .22's from Marlin, Winchester, Henry, Browning and Ithaca. I could trash out any one of them with enough abuse. If those Henry's haven't been abused, then send them back and Henry will gladly replace them free of charge (btw, try that with one of the other brands). I suspect they'll never be returned because (A) they've been abused/neglected, or (B) it just aint true. If I'm wrong, then what are you waiting for? Send them back, sell the new replacements and buy that real levergun that you've always wanted.

shamaz

Az_imuth is correct: Henry Repeating Arms has a lifetime warranty on their rifles, even if you're not the original owner. I've received excellent service and support from them for my two Henry .22s.

FrankenMauser

I suspect they'll never be returned because (A) they've been abused/neglected, or (B) it just aint true. If I'm wrong, then what are you waiting for?
I'm not waiting for anything. The rifles don't belong to me. :rolleyes:

You can ask the owner, if you want, but it won't get you anywhere. He has 2 Walther P22s that he thinks are basket cases, but he won't send them back. He has 2 Marlin model 60s that are complete trash (and always have been), but he won't send them back. And, the list goes on...
He had some really bad experiences with firearms companies' customer service in the past (seriously screwing him over), so he's very hesitant to ship things off any more - particularly cheap guns like the Henry .22s and the Marlin 60s.

Last edited:

osbornk

You can ask the owner, if you want, but it won't get you anywhere. He has 2 Walther P22s that he thinks are basket cases, but he won't send them back. He has 2 Marlin model 60s that are complete trash (and always have been), but he won't send them back. And, the list goes on...
He had some really bad experiences with firearms companies' customer service in the past (seriously screwing him over), so he's very hesitant to ship things off any more - particularly cheap guns like the Henry .22s and the Marlin 60s.

Sounds like the problem might not be with the guns. I have a nephew that could tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

FrankenMauser

Sounds like the problem might not be with the guns. I have a nephew that could tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet.
Making assumptions is never good for anyone.
The owner of those Henrys doesn't abuse his firearms. He doesn't come close to even the average gun owner, as far as just dings, dents, and scratches.
He is so anal retentive about keeping his firearms (rifles in particular) in pristine condition, that a good cleaning makes most of them look like they're either "New/Unfired" or like they've only seen 20-30 rounds down the tube.

For example... He has a stainless Ruger Redhawk he bought in '88 or '89 for silhouette shooting. He could sell it (falsely) as "New In Box", and only the most discriminate and experienced buyer would question the claim, because the front sight has been changed. It is pristine.

When his wife stuck the muzzle of his prized Bicentennial Marlin 39A in the snow and ringed the barrel by firing it, he nearly divorced her ....and won't let her touch that rifle again, to this day. It is 38 years old and has seen tens of thousands of rounds through it. But, if you don't know to look for the slight ring in the barrel, it looks like a safe queen that gets handled once a year and put right back in the safe. ;)

Esox

Have a Henry Golden Boy. A Marlin 39A. A Browning BL-22. If I had to pick just one it would be the Browning. More accurate and a super fast action.

Guv

In my opinion the 39 Marlin is head and shoulders above the rest, dgludwig hit the nail on the head!

Hawg

I had a Marlin 39A and I really wish I had it back but I wouldn't give up my Golden Boy for it.

Guv

One of those I did have 20+ yrs ago was a 9422mag Classic that had the short mag, steel crescent half moon butt plate and the pistol grip stock. Looked like the old 64 Deer Rifle, beautiful but long gone.:mad:

az_imuth

OP- since you stated that you're buying a Henry, do yourself a favor and find a dealer near you that keeps a few in stock. You can shoulder each one until you find your favorite model.You may not like the stock on the Golden Boy at all, or you may love it. The Frontier model seems to be liked by almost everyone who owns one. At the moment, I'm kinda liking the Carbine with the large loop since I don't have anything quite like it. Point is, handle them all and decide which one you like because you'll be the one using it, not us.

Best of luck in your quest!